Proposal: Laine?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Laine's goalscoring peers over the past 2 years(+/- 5 goals,most of these guys have played less games than him as well):

Bergeron
Guentzel
Panarin
DeBrincat
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Monahan
Kane(Evander)
Landeskog
Gallagher
Pettersson
Barkov
Couturier
Pacioretty
Stone
Skinner
Gaudreau
Dadonov
Huberdeau
Parise
Toews
Atkinson

not exactly a super inspiring list considering the money he wants and what a bunch of those other guys bring to the table compared to him on top of just goalscoring

Laine is basically Evander Kane at this point statistically(almost identical goals and points per game the past 2 years,both -16,both similar shooting percentages,both Wingers etc)

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Laine's goalscoring peers over the past 2 years(+/- 5 goals,most of these guys have played less games than him as well):

Bergeron
Guentzel
Panarin
DeBrincat
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Monahan
Kane(Evander)
Landeskog
Gallagher
Pettersson
Barkov
Couturier
Pacioretty
Stone
Skinner
Gaudreau
Dadonov
Huberdeau
Parise
Toews
Atkinson

not exactly a super inspiring list considering the money he wants and what a bunch of those other guys bring to the table compared to him on top of just goalscoring

Are any of those guys now available for trade?

That's the discussion.

Laine could be.

And no-Laine aged player has scored more goals than Laine, during his NHL career. Funny how he is compared to some in-prime players.

Reactions: Crunchy

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Are any of those guys now available for trade?

That's the discussion.

Laine could be.

And no-Laine aged player has scored more goals than Laine, during his NHL career. Funny how he is compared to some in-prime players.

for what Laine would cost in a trade? i'm sure quite a few of them would be

and goalscoring typically peaks at a pretty young age for guys like Laine(high draft picks that start scoring goals at a young age),the fact that he's comparable over the past couple years to a bunch of older guys that in many cases aren't even really known as goalscorers doesn't bode well for him

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
for what Laine would cost in a trade? i'm sure quite a few of them would be

and goalscoring typically peaks at a pretty young age for guys like Laine(high draft picks that start scoring goals at a young age),the fact that he's comparable over the past couple years to a bunch of older guys that in many cases aren't even really known as goalscorers doesn't bode well for him

I don’t know if that’s fair to say at 22 years old. He’s going to routinely be a 30+ goal guy, a guy who will likely flirt with 40+ again at some point, and I would have no problem adding that type of talent. My big concern is you’re talking about someone who was supposedly a #1 overall talent, who is only 22, who has yet to score under a 30 goal pace. That player profile is not one that will be cheap at all. Winnipeg doesn’t need to move on from Laine, and they would and should be trying to recoup a massive amount of value if they were to move on.

If I were selling, I’d have the price extremely high, and extremely rigid. If nobody wants to gamble, then I’m going to hang on to him and hope he proves that he’s worth that price, knowing that he’s likely not going to completely yank his value anytime soon. If I were buying, I’d be lowballing realizing it’s probably a no, but extremely uninterested at the high ask from Winnipeg. I’d pass and hope that he continues to struggle to live up to the hype and the draft slot, and let the price slowly come down.

I think it was MBH who made the comment earlier, and I agree with the concept. Find me the center equivalent of Laine, and I might gamble on the talent because of how difficult it can be to come across the elite level talent at center.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Would you build around a 22 year old Ovechkin? Brett Hull? Yzerman? Stamkos? etc...

I personally prefer two way players, don’t get me wrong, but it is not uncommon to build teams around 1 dimensional wingers. It can work. Not my ideal way of doing it, but unless we can somehow luck out and win the draft lottery, I don’t think we have any better option on building our team around.

I would build a team around those guys for sure, but theyre all significantly better pieces to build around than Laine so its irrelevant. I also dont think building around Brett Hull is the best piece to build around either to be honest even if Laine isnt in the same ball park as him.

We might have already seen Laines best goal scoring years for all we know though. His character/commitment gets questioned and all of a sudden his goal scoring totals are dropping considerably from when he broke into the league. Lets not act like this is some in his prime, amazing goal scorer with 0 questions about him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Projecting a guy who is not a driver of possession to move to a lesser supporting cast - particularly at center - and have him continue (or even exceed) recent production levels is not a good bet.

Would he score? Yes.
At the same or better rate as in Winnipeg? No.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We might have already seen Laines best goal scoring years for all we know though. His character/commitment gets questioned and all of a sudden his goal scoring totals are dropping considerably from when he broke into the league. Lets not act like this is some in his prime, amazing goal scorer with 0 questions about him.

He was on pace for 33/34 goals last year, and his assist numbers were much higher than previous seasons. He was also a +8, which was top5 on his team among the forwards (I think he was third, but I'd have to go look) and Maurice bumped his IT up 2 minutes from the previous seasons. He's never going to be Jere Lehtinen or Marian Hossa out there, flashing high end defensive skills at the wing, but I think it is arguable that he is making positive strides in a lot of the areas being used to criticize him.

I'm not sure I"d be up for dealing for him, maybe something close to Mantha straight up is what I'd push, but I think there is more to Laine after this last season to call for optimism rather than pessimism on his future.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He was on pace for 33/34 goals last year, and his assist numbers were much higher than previous seasons. He was also a +8, which was top5 on his team among the forwards (I think he was third, but I'd have to go look) and Maurice bumped his IT up 2 minutes from the previous seasons. He's never going to be Jere Lehtinen or Marian Hossa out there, flashing high end defensive skills at the wing, but I think it is arguable that he is making positive strides in a lot of the areas being used to criticize him.

I'm not sure I"d be up for dealing for him, maybe something close to Mantha straight up is what I'd push, but I think there is more to Laine after this last season to call for optimism rather than pessimism on his future.

If you have Laine under contract on your team theres plenty of reasons to have optimism after last season. Giving up what it would take to get him, plus the money to sign him plus having to hope he keeps trending in that direction on a much worse team is not even close to worth the risk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you have Laine under contract on your team theres plenty of reasons to have optimism after last season. Giving up what it would take to get him, plus the money to sign him plus having to hope he keeps trending in that direction on a much worse team is not even close to worth the risk

No, I think the reasons for optimism are the same regardless of team and paycheck. I'm not sure what we have to give up really matches what I keep seeing Jet fans say the team is likely looking for, though. I'd throw Mantha at it because the contracts are not going to be light years apart, and he could give Winny something close to Laine's production. Meanwhile, Laine would fit the age of our club better.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Would you build around a 22 year old Ovechkin? Brett Hull? Yzerman? Stamkos? etc...

I personally prefer two way players, don’t get me wrong, but it is not uncommon to build teams around 1 dimensional wingers. It can work. Not my ideal way of doing it, but unless we can somehow luck out and win the draft lottery, I don’t think we have any better option on building our team around.
If we would have gotten the first pick no one would be talking about Alexis' two way game...

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If we would have gotten the first pick no one would be talking about Alexis' two way game...

Lol. You’re literally comparing a free asset to something that will take multiple high end pieces in a trade to acquire. Of course Laine would be held to a higher standard

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Winnipeg is the team I have watched most over the last 4 years while the Wings have sucked. I do really like Laine and am rooting for him in a big way. But fact is, when he isn't in the very act of scoring a goal he is a negative to the team every second he is on the ice.

He is a turnover machine, can't play defensively at all, he can't handle the puck on the breakout or in the neutral zone without making a bad decision on far to many occasions. Although he has improved in these areas over the last season but still has a long ways to go.

With that said, I would love to trade for him considering the price is fair and give him a chance to play a lot and hope to hell he puts it together. The thing is, he doesn't even have to put it all together, he just has to understand his role to the team and put a little more effort in and he would be an elite asset regardless of being one dimensional. When you are rebuilding, he is the type of guy you take the chance on risking giving him enough money to meet his demands.

I would be willing to go Mantha + one of our top pieces outside of Larkin, Seider and Raymond.

Unfortunately WPG needs a number 2C/top 4D. Unless they get crap for offers, the last thing I believe they would trade for is a winger. What we do have going for us is that our pieces to offer are very good/young and cost controlled. Plus we have the cap space to pay Laine. So with all those variables taken into considering, the market for Laine might not meet WPGs exact desires. So maybe we have a chance at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Unfortunately WPG needs a number 2C/top 4D. Unless they get crap for offers, the last thing I believe they would trade for is a winger. What we do have going for us is that our pieces to offer are very good/young and cost controlled. Plus we have the cap space to pay Laine. So with all those variables taken into considering, the market for Laine might not meet WPGs exact desires. So maybe we have a chance at him.

Larkin and Hronek are the main pieces from our team, if any trade ever is completed.

Quite sure many would hate those pieces to go, but those are the pieces.

Also think those aren't the best assets Jets are gonna get, so Laine goes elsewhere.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Larkin and Hronek are the main pieces from our team, if any trade ever is completed.

Quite sure many would hate those pieces to go, but those are the pieces.

Also think those aren't the best assets Jets are gonna get, so Laine goes elsewhere.

I think they'd have an insanely hard time getting a better C than Larkin in a trade for Laine. depending on how our D shapes up, I'm kinda expecting Hronek to be dealt, maybe in a deal to bring in a 2C for ourselves at some point.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Laine seems like the shiney new toy name being thrown about today on this board.

Trading Larkin for him is asinine.

Laine has proven nothing yet beyond being a Finish primadona and if he dosent do a complete 180, will never amount to much more.

He can not drive the play
He can not defend
He can not lead
He is repeatedly using the media to voice his displeasure

He may put it altogether one day and I hope he does, but, for the DRW and where we're today and the identity of the team SY wants tomorrow, Laine is not a fit whatsoever

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad