Value of: Laine to Ottawa

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I really much doubt it. Laine doesnt even party. He actually doesnt even use alcohol, so wtf should he do then? Hockey is pretty much his life.

Professional fortnite!!

Laine literally left because he couldn’t be the guy. He wants to be the guy. He wants to be the difference maker and play with line mates that help him achieve that. I actually think his compete level is very underrated.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Love his game but I don't think this is the right move for Ottawa. There's some risk involved and it'd be a shame to derail the end of the rebuild gambling on a higher end player who has had ups and downs. It's going to cost valuable assets which, looking at the ones listed, will likely grow into roster players.

If the price were low that's a different story but I don't see a Laine price being very low.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I don't want Laine. I don't think he fits and would cost too much. Sens just need to get older. They have a ton of pieces coming Sanderson, Pinto, Grieg, Boucher...

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Would love Laine on the Sens but cost would be too high. Rightfully so from CBj side

Reactions: Fro

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I don't want Laine. I don't think he fits and would cost too much. Sens just need to get older. They have a ton of pieces coming Sanderson, Pinto, Grieg, Boucher...
They need an elite offensive player. Batherson and Jimmy Stu are the only ones who have that kind of potential but are still long shots to be elite offensive producers like Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They need an elite offensive player. Batherson and Jimmy Stu are the only ones who have that kind of potential but are still long shots to be elite offensive producers like Laine.

I don't think they're long shots to score at a level similar or higher than Laine. Batherson currently is and Stutzle has a good chance to get there in a couple years. Of course Laine is still very young and could level up himself. He's got 12 points in his last 6 games but who knows what his permanent level will be.

Reactions: SensFactor

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I don't think they're long shots to score at a level similar or higher than Laine. Batherson currently is and Stutzle has a good chance to get there in a couple years. Of course Laine is still very young and could level up himself. He's got 12 points in his last 6 games but who knows what his permanent level will be.

We need a shot option on the power play. We need a RW for Stützle to play with. Our lines would have the perfect blend of toughness, playmaking, speed and finish (Finnish) if we run this top six.

Brady - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stützle - Laine

Have you seen how our power play has run with Norris out of the lineup? Zero cross seam passes, zero one timer options, we need an elite shooter. Watching Stützle and Chabot run the point and having the options of having two elite shooters on both face off circles is too enticing to pass up. And it’s been a LONG time since we’ve had a competent PP2, adding a player like Laine on PP1 bounces a top six player down to carry the load on PP2.

Tkachuk - Norris - Laine
Stützle - Chabot

Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
Brannstrom - Sanderson

You guys can tell me that the Senators don’t have the equity available that we are willing to spend on Laine or that the Blue Jackets don’t want to give him up or he doesn’t want to leave, however I refuse to believe that there is a team in the NHL with any system that doesn’t benefit from this player on their team.

Last edited:

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Professional fortnite!!

Laine literally left because he couldn’t be the guy. He wants to be the guy. He wants to be the difference maker and play with line mates that help him achieve that. I actually think his compete level is very underrated.
Funny how a sniper with his pedigree is still waiting for a chance to play with a legitimate pass-first, high-end Center.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
While I agree, I think this is the exact kind of player that would 'complete' Ottawa's forward core.

The price would be heartbreaking though.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Great fit, at least from an on-ice perspective for the Senators.

That being said, I wouldn't move Pinto or Sanderson and I'm not sure the quantity approach of something like 1st (top 3 protected?) + Brannstrom/Thomson/JBD + Grieg/Boucher/Jarventie/Sokolov/ect moves the needle for the Blue Jackets so it's all probably moot.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If I was Ottawa I would not be trading the 2023 1st. Who knows how low you may go, Just imagine missing out on Bedard.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
If Laine is a two-way threat with great character, a good teammate in the locker room, and a beast of a goal-scorer - then he wouldnt be looking for a 3rd team before he turned 24. Thats a hard fact to get around, and it becomes a non-starter for a team that cant afford to make mistakes of this magnitude.

Hes probably a great player in a bad string of situations, but I promise you Ill delete my account if Ottawa trades for him. You might know Laine - but its clear that you are equally clueless about Ottawa for even wondering if this kind of trade would ever hit their table. It wouldnt.

Or maybe Jets just.. You know, sucks big time. Its not like getting rid of Laine fixed their problems

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Professional fortnite!!

Laine left because he was traded.

Reactions: heksagon

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine left because he was traded.

I can't remember if it was an official trade request to the Jets but something quite like that was conveyed to the media. As I remember it the biggest bone of contention was that Laine wanted to be the guy on the topline, I think @Akrapovince 's summary sounds about right.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I can't remember if it was an official trade request to the Jets but something quite like that was conveyed to the media. As I remember it the biggest bone of contention was that Laine wanted to be the guy on the topline, I think @Akrapovince 's summary sounds about right.

He said once if he was playing in other team it would be with best players, thats the whole narrative based

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Senators are looking to turn the corner and I potentially think our forward lines could be complete with a top six right winger that fits the timeline.

Brady - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stützle - Laine
Paul - Pinto - Brown
Kastelic, Greig, Watson, Sanford, etc

Available potential assets:
22’ first round pick & second round pick
23’ first round pick & second round pick
Greig
Connor Brown / Sokolov (would assume you would have to keep one or other)
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Lassi Thomson

Would any combination of these things be enough for Laine or would Sanderson have to be part of the deal?

I don’t know if I remember correctly but just another question, did Laine state that he had a preference to not play in Canada?

If I'm Ottawa, I wouldn't touch Laine. Dude is an enigma more than an answer. Don't ruin your future by acquiring him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
At the draft last year I def would have started the convo with our 2021 first (10 ovr) and that may have moved the needle somewhat given that CBJ was a bit disenfranchised with Laine at the time and Laine was bouncing around the Finnish media saying silly things. Could have done 10ovr+ cap going other way + a good young piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad