Proposal: Lafrenière to Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I get why the Rangers wouldn't deal their recent #1 OA player, I wouldn't either.

Kuzmenko is going to be a very good player in this league though. His stats aren't great through 7 games, but he has looked very dangerous. If the Canucks were to deal him, they should be able to get a pretty nice return a few months down the road. I can see Kuz hitting 50-60 points this year or next.

Hoglander and DiPietro are spare parts in this deal.

What would you call Lafreniere at this stage?
A middle six forward with a decent two way game.

Hoglander is a fringe NHL player that gets healthy scratched on one of the NHLs worst teams.

Here is the list of Vancouver’s good young players on ELCs:

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hoglander had a good rookie year, but nothing since. The idea that Hoglander+ is the basis for a Laf trade is absurd. Hoglander could be an okay piece to add to a bigger package mabe?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you dont know what you are talking about why post your ignorance?
That's kind of his schtick. He thought Jack Hughes was a failure after his 2nd season. Of course anyone who actually watched Hughes that year knew how excellent he was.

I would take Perfetti over Lafreniere 100 times out of 100. I think most competent scouts would as well.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is like a kid trying to trade his used toys they don’t want anymore for a brand new PlayStation.
A lot of the time the kid unknowingly gives a 1 in a kind collectable item action figure that sells for 5 figures.

Actually when I was in elementary school I traded a bunch of Pokémon cards for a Xbox 360 probably 3 years after it came out and the cards I gave are worth well over 1000 dollars today.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All these proposals for Lafreniere and Kakko take Rangers fans as being stupid.

You want us to sell on the low terms you’ve created and then think you’re winning the deal.

You don’t see Rangers fans suggesting these because why would we want to trade those two players for spare parts. The teams getting those players would have a lot of incentive to do those deals, but this isn’t NHL 23 the video game. You can’t throw a bunch of spare parts at another team for an asset you want and expect it to work.

Reactions: Qwijibo

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
All these proposals for Lafreniere and Kakko take Rangers fans as being stupid.

You want us to sell on the low terms you’ve created and then think you’re winning the deal.

You don’t see Rangers fans suggesting these because why would we want to trade those two players for spare parts. The teams getting those players would have a lot of incentive to do those deals, but this isn’t NHL 23 the video game. You can’t throw a bunch of spare parts at another team for an asset you want and expect it to work.
You aren't wrong, BUT, by this time next year, if he doesn't show anything this season, New York would be lucky to get some of these offers. Unless he improves, which IS possible, it's just a matter of his value dropping and dropping as the months and years go by.

Teams risk paying for a dud. Thus the lowball offers.

EDIT - and the OP offer actually fit Ranger team needs. Maybe you think the players aren't good enough in your eyes, but they theoretically fit Rangers needs.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You aren't wrong, BUT, by this time next year, if he doesn't show anything this season, New York would be lucky to get some of these offers. Unless he improves, which IS possible, it's just a matter of his value dropping and dropping as the months and years go by.

EDIT - and the OP offer actually fit Ranger team needs. Maybe you think the players aren't good enough in your eyes, but they theoretically fit Rangers needs.

Think of a cost benefit analysis from the Rangers perspective.

What is the potential benefit of gaining a bunch of spare parts? Mostly minimal. Maybe a small upgrade to the team, if it all works out. None of the spare parts anyone is willing to offer for Lafreniere or Kakko will end up being within the core members of the Rangers team anytime soon.

What is the potential benefit of keeping Lafreniere and Kakko? Well, you have two players that could be stars in the league. That’s why these people suggest these trades. They think that these players could become that on their team.

When you boil it down, the spare part offers don’t move the needle. There’s such a small potential gain compared to the obvious negative that could result from that type of trade. No one smart makes a trade with a small potential upside and a huge potential downside.

The only way it makes sense for the Rangers to consider trading those players is if teams offer their core pieces. So until that happens, it’s taking Rangers fans as being stupid thinking we could be conned into this.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
When you boil it down, the spare part offers don’t move the needle. There’s such a small potential gain compared to the obvious negative that could result from that type of trade. No one smart makes a trade with a small potential upside and a huge potential downside.
Kuzmenko looks like he's likely to be a middle 6 winger (and can be extended) and Hoglander is a good 2nd line wing prospect that looked great in camp. I see what point you're trying to make, but talking about two guys that could end up both being 2nd liners as "small potential upside" seems like the wrong choice or words. IMO anyways.

Anyways, we'll see if and when Rangers decide to cut their losses. Or if they don't need to.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Kuzmenko looks like he's likely to be a middle 6 winger (and can be extended) and Hoglander is a good 2nd line wing prospect that looked great in camp. I see what point you're trying to make, but talking about two guys that could end up both being 2nd liners as "small potential upside" seems like the wrong choice or words. IMO anyways.

Anyways, we'll see if and when Rangers decide to cut their losses. Or if they don't need to.
So let me get this straight Hoglander who is older than Laf is a 2nd line prospect but the younger Laf who scored more even strength goals than Hoglandeer had points last year is a player the Rangers should cut their losses with?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So let me get this straight Hoglander who is older than Laf is a 2nd line prospect but the younger Laf who scored more even strength goals than Hoglandeer had points last year is a player the Rangers should cut their losses with?
I meant "cut their losses" in terms of Lafrenière being a tradeable asset with high value based on future potential. Höglander aside, it isn't debatable that Lafrenière's trade value is going to be lower next season and then even lower the season after as he gets older and older and continues to not score 50 points.

If he actually starts scoring, that's a different conversation.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Suggesting he’s a bust if he doesn’t break out this season is nonsense. Most players taken in his draft haven’t even seen the nhl yet. Or they’ve had a brief cup of coffee. Development isn’t linear and he just turned 21. Give the kid (which is what he is) time before unilaterally declaring him a bust. People expecting every player picked high to immediately have an impact in the show need to relax.

Reactions: bernmeister

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I meant "cut their losses" in terms of Lafrenière being a tradeable asset with high value based on future potential. Höglander aside, it isn't debatable that Lafrenière's trade value is going to be lower next season and then even lower the season after as he gets older and older and continues to not score 50 points.

If he actually starts scoring, that's a different conversation.
By that same logic Hoglander who is older and less productive isn't a good prospect then and his value is plummeting.....

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Suggesting he’s a bust if he doesn’t break out this season is nonsense. Most players taken in his draft haven’t even seen the nhl yet. Or they’ve had a brief cup of coffee. Development isn’t linear and he just turned 21. Give the kid (which is what he is) time before unilaterally declaring him a bust. People expecting every player picked high to immediately have an impact in the show need to relax.
LaF has met/exceeded all expectations save 1, his skating, which is now just meeting NHL level standards and is improving.
For this reason, he still has signif potential to approach if not meet/exceed the uber level expectations he got, not just as 1OA, but as 'best non generational pick since MacKinnon' or quote to that effect

Days later, thinking about it more, this trade makes more sense with a 2nd rounder instead of DiPietro anyways (IMO).
Sorry OP
sometimes trading quality for quantity DOES make sense, espec if depth or critical needs are addressed.
But this deal does not do that and is easy no for NYR

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Recent No.1 overall picks who don't set the world on fire immediately just don't get traded, for the simple reason that the drafting club has to view him from the standpoint of his very recent draft positioning, and the inquiring team has to ground whatever they offer in what the player is doing on the ice. The gulf is always too wide to bridge in a trade proposal.

He's got to break out or bust before there is consensus about what he is, I suspect.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
LaF has met/exceeded all expectations save 1, his skating, which is now just meeting NHL level standards and is improving.
For this reason, he still has signif potential to approach if not meet/exceed the uber level expectations he got, not just as 1OA, but as 'best non generational pick since MacKinnon' or quote to that effect

Sorry OP
sometimes trading quality for quantity DOES make sense, espec if depth or critical needs are addressed.
But this deal does not do that and is easy no for NYR
Yeah. I wasn’t suggesting he’s not meeting expectations. Only that people that expect every 1st OA to come in and tear up the league immediately need to take a step back. Players like McDavid and Matthews are the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad