News Article: Lafleur says Vanek, Patches should GTFO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's right and he should know, he was the most skilled player of his era and payed the price in the playoffs to put up some monster performances. Pacioretty played the perimeter, he wasn't nearly the scoring threat he's capable of being.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And yet both players have the same production.....while Kane is 3 years younger. Max is a good player but to act like he's untradeable is dumb. Boston got rid of Seguin..they got rid of Kessel...I don't think they regret either of those decisions.

That's how good teams win. Make moves to improve the team. Kane+Bogosian? Sign me up.

Boston traded Kessel because they didn't have the cap anymore.
Seguin was moved because there were off ice issues and also for him to blossom, he needed to play center, they chose Krejci and Bergeron over him. So again, makes sense.

Moving MaxPac now, when we have nobody else on our team that you're even confident in saying capable of potting 25 goals, let alone 30-35+, while he's on one of the best contracts in the NHL, seems pretty useless to me.
Max has been on a 35-40G 65pts+ ratio for the past three seasons, he got over 30g and 35g twice in that span. Kane has produced like a 50-55pt player over the same span, only scoring 30g once. They have not produced quite the same. No need to mask this.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Kane here. He's my type of player. I wouldn't move Max for him though. I wouldn't move Max for anybody that isn't proven, not with our current team make up.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
This has been an interesting discussion. What I gather from this topic is that 30 goal scorers grow on trees, which is news to me.

Also, I want to make it clear towards anyone advocating towards trading for Kane. I watched him play hockey for my Vancouver Giants back in the days before university. Never did anything when it mattered come playoff time, and that was when he could dominate on physical gifts alone. And worst of all, Evander Kane is a tool.

I am not saying he is young and stupid, or that he is simply lacking maturity: I'm saying he is a tool.
I do not want that in this lineup under ANY circumstances, especially with an uneven leadership core.

Based on your observations, what kind of tool is Kane? Is he a hammer? A ratchet? A screwdriver, maybe? Or maybe an electric tool, like a drill, or a sander? Is he wireless? Does he come with a 24V battery? His own box? Extended warranty?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Based on your observations, what kind of tool is Kane? Is he a hammer? A ratchet? A screwdriver, maybe? Or maybe an electric tool, like a drill, or a sander? Is he wireless? Does he come with a 24V battery? His own box? Extended warranty?

I was thinking more along the lines of a portable hand saw.

Edit: Wait, sorry, Turris is the tool. :banghead: Always get the BC boys mixed up for some strange reason. I'll pretend it's because I hit my head today.

But I stand by him being overrated by some on this board. I just don't think he's an upgrade on Pacioretty, while coming with some risks.

Last edited:

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I was thinking more along the lines of a portable hand saw.

Knew it ;)

Edit: Wait, sorry, Turris is the tool. :banghead: Always get the BC boys mixed up for some strange reason. I'll pretend it's because I hit my head today.

But I stand by him being overrated by some on this board. I just don't think he's an upgrade on Pacioretty, while coming with some risks.

Turris IS an electric tool... but like most power tools in Ottawa, his battery only recharges at 65% :sarcasm:

Binzler

Mar 10, 2012
Montréal
Getting rid of player like Pacioretty would be stupid just like getting rid of Richer was stupid. With today's cap, having a player like Pacioretty signed at 4.5 is a complete bargain. He's still young in terms of experience, his playoff performances will get better.

Couldn't of said it better. Also, this is Pacioretty's first deep run in the playoffs. Let's not forget.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You guys are being trolled hard by a 62 years old guy who probably doesn't even know how to use a computer... :laugh:

I take everything Lafleur says with a truckload of salt.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Not your best material, blou. :shakehead

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The amount of hate on Lafleur is disgusting.What's the point of giving your heart to a franchise if you end up getting insulted massively on very personal levels (his son situation) ? You guys don't deserve any champion.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The amount of hate on Lafleur is disgusting.What's the point of giving your heart to a franchise if you end up getting insulted massively on very personal levels (his son situation) ? You guys don't deserve any champion.

Sports stars don't deserve to be deified to the point where spouting stupidities doesn't earn them some scorn.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012
Obviously you guys can't read French. In the article, Lafleur is referring to Game 6 of the Rangers series and how bad Patches, Vanek and the rest of the Canadiens played. And he was right! Game 6 was an elimination game! Patches should not get a pass by how he played. Where is the desperation in his play? Win or lose, at least try hard. Was that too much to ask of Patches and Vanek?

I also agree with Lafleur in saying that we should not be satisfied about the 100-point season and the run to the ECF. We should be satisfied only by winning the Stanley Cup. That is the standard the Canadiens should strive for every year. The Canadiens had a great opportunity to go to the Stanley Cup finals this year and threw it away with this bad Game 6 performance. I'm not saying they would have won if they had played well in Game 6, but at least try! There are 30 teams competing for the Cup every year, so there might not be another opportunity for the Canadiens to win the Cup than this year.

When Lafleur was with the Canadiens, they didn't mess around. They tried hard every year to get the Cup and managed to get 4 in a row at one point. I don't see this focus in today's Canadiens organization. They prefer to have fun and games like the silly bet with Jimmy Fallon, or getting people to vote for Subban for the cover of a video game rather than focusing on the playoffs. Winning the Cup is the ultimate fun.

Game 6 left a bad taste in my mouth and so, I can't applaud the 2014 Canadiens. If they had at least tried and still lost, I would have applauded them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

So him being naturally gifted enough to become a superstar suddenly means he's allowed to say any dumb thing he feels like saying? So he gets a pass on stupidity?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

You never wonder why there's so much hate for an ex-Habs legend that have won so many championships? There's a reason for that you know. I think we all respect the player but the guy just keep saying stupid **** against the Habs over and over again.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So him being naturally gifted enough to become a superstar suddenly means he's allowed to say any dumb thing he feels like saying? So he gets a pass on stupidity?

Thornton is also gifted , Lafleur is a champion.It takes more than gifts , you need it for the opportunity to become a champion , but to step up and do it is something else.Lafleur won , and his whole career was a masterpiece of relationship with the fans as he was the most exciting on the ice and the most available off of it in general.

Stupidity is relative , Lafleur sucks at expressing his views , the whole way he does it without any regards for social conventions , it pisses people off.It doesn't mean his views are stupid.Some could be , but now "Lafleur is stupid" is an assumption in these people's mind.

Last edited:

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Kane strikes me as a cancer

With all the **** Subban has been through in this crazy city since he arrived here 4 years ago, I just don't want any part of Evander Kane man.

(YMCB logo on the back of his head & the picture of him with all the bills in both of his hands at Vegas for those who don't know what I'm talking about).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty...he was trying (here and there)...he's a HOT COLD HOT kind of player (with a killer wrist shot). He showed how bad he felt for going 2-3 games without scoring, and then...BOOM!! he gets a HUGE TIMELY GOAL and all is forgiven (and love his great/cheap contract).

Pacioretty's playoff grade:
C+ to B-...and sometimes B (for some timely goals).
I've got to admit...I expected more from Pacio, but...I'm sure he will pick it up next playoff season (+ we have to keep that cheap contract of his). I'd like him to score less in the regular season IF it means more goals in playoffs...only IF!

Vanek's playoff grade (he was not trying...pitiful effort and ZERO effort in last 6-7-8 games...didn't even try to hide that he didn't care):
C- to D- to F-...he was sleepwalking (sleep-skating) out there, especially VS the Rangers...you just can't do that...GTFO.
Bergevin will find a better option someone who will help us way more VS Vanek in playoffs.

p.s.: gotta hand it to Guy Lafleur...he's never boring!! I prefer someone who speaks his mind VS always saying what is considered politically correct (meaning: not always saying the truth!).

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Damn that was Epic Badass by Lafleur! :laugh:

And he's right. When he played he didn't need to be taken by the hand to matter in the freakin NHL playoffs.

I like Max but he's just not a gamer.

Also Simon Gagne on Le Match at TVA Sports agreed with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Oh man. Someone must have hacked your account. :shakehead

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Typical Flower:

Link

Money quote:

Rough translation: "Guys like Max and TV, you can't keep them on your team if they're not willing to pay the price. Your team will never win with guys who disappear when they face adversity."

Wow.

Discuss.

In 1973-74, Habs were ousted fast. Jacques Lemaire had 0 goals in the playoffs, while Guy Lafleur had....zero goals too! Peter Mahovlich had 2 goals in 6 games, around the same pace as 5 in 17.
GTFO!

In 1975-76, the Habs won the Cup in 13 games. Two guys who each scored 32 goals in the regular season, Yvan Cournoyer and Yvon Lambert, scored only 3 and 2 goals respectively in the playoffs.
GTFO!

Because he in fact was not thrown out, Yvon Lambert was still there the next year, 1976-77, when he scored 3 goals in 14 games.
Double GTFO!

However, the stupid GM kept Lambert, and he went on to score 2 goals in 15 games in 1977-78.
OMG, what the F is he doing on the team??

Then in 1978-79, Lambert scores 5 including the overtime winner in game 7 in the semi-final against Boston.
Hero for life!!!

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
You guys are being trolled hard by a 62 years old guy who probably doesn't even know how to use a computer... :laugh:

I take everything Lafleur says with a truckload of salt.

Using a computer is a hockey skill? Is an analytical skill? ;)

Guy knows hockey

Apr 28, 2010
In 1973-74, Habs were ousted fast. Jacques Lemaire had 0 goals in the playoffs, while Guy Lafleur had....zero goals too! Peter Mahovlich had 2 goals in 6 games, around the same pace as 5 in 17.
GTFO!

In 1975-76, the Habs won the Cup in 13 games. Two guys who each scored 32 goals in the regular season, Yvan Cournoyer and Yvon Lambert, scored only 3 and 2 goals respectively in the playoffs.
GTFO!

Because he in fact was not thrown out, Yvon Lambert was still there the next year, 1976-77, when he scored 3 goals in 14 games.
Double GTFO!

However, the stupid GM kept Lambert, and he went on to score 2 goals in 15 games in 1977-78.

Then in 1978-79, Lambert scores 5 including the overtime winner in game 7 in the semi-final against Boston.
Hero for life!!!

I have never seen the 70s. But my question is, were those players floaters, waiting for breakaways or were they actually hustling every shift?

Because It's not always about the stats. It's the overall play. The things you do when you're not scoring. Perfect example of this is Gallagher, while he didn't score a lot, he gets a free pass because people see him giving his 100% out there most of the time.

Just saying maybe it's those guys' overall play that made them successful.

As for Lemaire, it helps too when he's a 3x Stanley Cup winner before '73.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
GTFO!

GTFO!

Double GTFO!

Hero for life!!!

Was Guy known for being a lazy floater when it counted? It's shameful how you're trying to dog legends just cuz your boy is getting criticized and rightfully so.

What has Max ever done in the playoffs? 5G 6A in 21 playoff games and has looked disinterested in most of the games. Guy is right. The standard in Montreal has gotten so low and that's because the organization has been crap for so long. It's one thing to lose to better teams, it's another to lose because you couldn't give a **** in an elimination game.

LOL @ dogging 2 legends who were consistent in the playoffs and were PPG players in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad