Kyle Dubas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think he made the best of a bad situation. There wasn't a good option imo.
Yes there was. You put only one on waivers at a time and if he gets picked up you keep 3 goalies until a firm decision can be made.

Had Pickard been sent down a week earlier he likely would have past through waivers.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Link one account that said that.

The promblem with that pitch wasn't the presentation but the fact we had nothing to pitch .

And that Stamkos didn't want to come here and be looked at as the savior.

Mirtle and Siegel suggested on an older Leafs Report podcast that Stamkos May have been overwhelmed during the pitch - like they had the ceo Of Canadian Tire there saying how he was going to be the face of the city. A very poor strategy to try and sell a signing on a guy who doesn’t like attention.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fixed. I think you've missed the point again..

Nope. When Lou was in charge, the pitch failed, when Dubas was in charge, the pitch succeeded. It's not complicated.

Not only are you the one missing the point, your "again" comment is completely off target as that was the first post I had made on this subject.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes there was. You put only one on waivers at a time and if he gets picked up you keep 3 goalies until a firm decision can be made.

Had Pickard been sent down a week earlier he likely would have past through waivers.
both McBackup and Pickard could be playing for the Marlies within a week, let's see how this plays out before you give Dubas a fail.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mirtle and Siegel suggested on an older Leafs Report podcast that Stamkos May have been overwhelmed during the pitch - like they had the ceo I’d Canadian Tore there saying how he was going to be the face of the city. A very poor strategy to try and sell a signing on a guy who doesn’t like attention.
A thing that is ignored though, maybe the whole organization learned from that and wouldn't have repeated that path. Plus, its not like the Leafs really had much in proven commodities to pitch at the time. When Marner and Matthews were proven, its a much easier to focus on the team, NHL players don't really care too much about unproven prospects, regardless of how hyped they are.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A thing that is ignored though, maybe the whole organization learned from that and wouldn't have repeated that path. Plus, its not like the Leafs really had much in proven commodities to pitch at the time. When Marner and Matthews were proven, its a much easier to focus on the team, NHL players don't really care too much about unproven prospects, regardless of how hyped they are.

This is all true, especially the part about the organization learning from it's mistakes. At the same time, it's entirely possible that had Dubas been in charge instead of Lou, he would have done things quite differently and succeeded. No way to know obviously but it wouldn't surprise me it it were true, I was horrified when I heard what Lou's approach was, seemed so obviously like a bad idea.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd guess leaving the only team he's known (and one that was a playoff team) for a team that finished last overall was going to be a tough sell regardless of who was pitching what. A bit easier with Tavares in that he was leaving to go to a better team. To his credit, he apparently took less to do so while also turning down other contending teams.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Anyone else find it a bit odd that we have maybe the best team in living memory and the coach and GM take this much heat from some of the "fans" on here?

Is it just a symptom of outrage culture? or maybe the hyper impatience of todays youth? Team makes a move and judgment falls so fast these days. Some folks should wait a bit lest they look foolish.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Anyone else find it a bit odd that we have maybe the best team in living memory and the coach and GM take this much heat from some of the "fans" on here?

Is it just a symptom of outrage culture? or maybe the hyper impatience of todays youth? Team makes a move and judgment falls so fast these days. Some folks should wait a bit lest they look foolish.
I blame the ' microwave '...ever since it's introduction the expectations in life have gone up (instant gratification at the sacrifice quality). the internet added to that exponentially. Each new generation is born into a more fragile existence. Patience is scorned. Even Karma is instant!

Reactions: dsred and nsleaf

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Nope. When Lou was in charge, the pitch failed, when Dubas was in charge, the pitch succeeded. It's not complicated.

Not only are you the one missing the point, your "again" comment is completely off target as that was the first post I had made on this subject.

What pitch did Lou make that failed are you talking about, his pitch to Stamkos or his pitch to Tavares after he joined NY?

My point was JT would've signed with Toronto regardless if Dubas was the GM or not. Then you said "Maybe" and went on to compare Dubas to Lou making their pitch for different organizations which you claim Lou failed and Dubas succeeded?

My understanding from what you said is basically saying Dubas is single-handedly responsible for signing Tavares that's why I assumed you missed the point "again" since it was the Leafs as a whole that did.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What pitch did Lou make that failed are you talking about, his pitch to Stamkos or his pitch to Tavares after he joined NY?

My point was JT would've signed with Toronto regardless if Dubas was the GM or not. Then you said "Maybe" and went on to compare Dubas to Lou making their pitch for different organizations which you claim Lou failed and Dubas succeeded?

My understanding from what you said is basically saying Dubas is single-handedly responsible for signing Tavares that's why I assumed you missed the point "again" since it was the Leafs as a whole that did.

I'm not so sure. What if it was a clown like Dorion or Bergevin :)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about Kyle. What makes him such a rare commodity at the young age of 32?

I understand that Shanahan likes him.

But what has HE achieved that the organization wouldn't have without him.

And lets try to stay away from the "lol! You don't know anything about hockey" responses. Tell me something I don't know.

Thanks
Intelligent & "progressive". He can hit all the buzzwords others would refuse to use.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Not to say you are right or wrong! But,on the surface it appears Lou didn't accomplish either task and I'm sure it was him in charge!
Also,how can anyone be sure that JT would have signed 'regardless'.
Like it or not the resume of Dubas will still show he was at the helm when the top free agent in the league was available. I would say what ever strategy he put together was successful.Lou wasn't!

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

I think its simply because after decades of being a laughing stock we expect excellence now. We don't just want to be a great team, we want to be by far and away the best team, this is the expectation..as it should be.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Watching hockey go through the same growing pains that baseball and basketball went through is testing my composure. With the advent of player and puck tracking next season, the great statistical leap forward is coming and Shanahan has assembled a front office capable of delivering on that data. We should all be thankful this franchise isn't tethered to old boy dinosaurs, because the imbance will be striking for the next decade. Dubas might just be The Perfect Executive.

Reactions: mavis

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Watching hockey go through the same growing pains that baseball and basketball went through is testing my composure. With the advent of player and puck tracking next season, the great statistical leap forward is coming and Shanahan has assembled a front office capable of delivering on that data. We should all be thankful this franchise isn't tethered to old boy dinosaurs, because the imbance will be striking for the next decade. Dubas might just be The Perfect Executive.
So hockey will soon be dominated by a few teams? Oh boy, can't wait.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think its simply because after decades of being a laughing stock we expect excellence now. We don't just want to be a great team, we want to be by far and away the best team, this is the expectation..as it should be.

I'm sorta grateful its turned around so fast. It's almost unprecedented. Every fan wants their team to be the best. Not every fan gets lucky enough to have management and coaching so competent they turn one of the worst teams in the league to possibly the best team in a franchises 100 year old history in a space of less than 3 years.

All this bellyaching over backup goalies and Hyman on the wrong line seems kind of trivial at this point.

Imagine being a fan of the Habs or Oilers or any of those other countless teams that screwed up bad recently. Having been through this ourselves multiple times in recent history certainly gives me pause for criticizing the current guys in charge.

The Nylander thing could be a misstep worth discussing but it's been pretty much nothing but net from the current group so far.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
That is a good point.

The same big markets big money teams are always in the baseball playoffs.

The same teams with the superstar is always contending in the NBA, with San Antonio the only exception.

Hope hockey does not go that way. The NHL might not survive in its current form.

Reactions: nsleaf

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
That is a good point.

The same big markets big money teams are always in the baseball playoffs.

The same teams with the superstar is always contending in the NBA, with San Antonio the only exception.

Hope hockey does not go that way. The NHL might not survive in its current form.
Agree, unfortunately I believe it's inevitable.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011

Baseball and Basketball were dominated by a few teams before the statistics revolution as well. It's the nature of the gameplay in those sports. I'm not sure how it will shake out in hockey but I'm happy that the Leafs are likely to be one of the smarter front offices.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Baseball and Basketball were dominated by a few teams before the statistics revolution as well. It's the nature of the gameplay in those sports. I'm not sure how it will shake out in hockey but I'm happy that the Leafs are likely to be one of the smarter front offices.
Yeah ... but ...

What exactly did this analytics do for the sports of MLB and NBA?

This is still a business professional sports.

If one believes it can revolutionize the sport, then why are the results the same? The same teams are always winning in baseball and basketball, which is the big money mlb and the superstar nba.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah ... but ...

What exactly did this analytics do for the sports of MLB and NBA?

This is still a business professional sports.

If one believes it can revolutionize the sport, then why are the results the same? The same teams are always winning in baseball and basketball, which is the big money mlb and the superstar nba.

Ah well we're a decade on in those sports, most teams have caught up. The Red Sox and Yankees are teams that have invested heavily in analytics and analytical scouting, to go along with their deep pockets. Baseball's capless world obviously exacerbates the issue of parity. Still, it's the reason the Rays and A's were perennial contenders through the the late 00s. The Jays under Ricciardi had their go, but he was a step behind and was still drafting low ceiling college guys while the other, actual smart front offices, had moved to undervalued prep guys with big upside. Overall the sport has learned to properly value defense and eliminate the noise of lucky bloops and seeing eye singles. Personally I love it.

I dont know a ton about basketball, but it's a sport that has also learned to properly evaluate defense and seems to have shed the inefficient chuckers.

At this point I feel I should note that the NHL, in the past 10 years, has had 2 teams win 3 times, and another win twice. So maybe what we're actually talking about is the same thing that has always happened in hockey. The only difference is that the next dynasties will be built around a greater understanding of analytics. Maybe, I dont know

Reactions: Polaris1010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad