Proposal: Kunitz for Garbutt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ducks get a left shooting scoring LW with a history of success beside Getzlaf and Perry, Pens get some extra cap wiggle room while becoming younger, faster, and grittier.

Evergreen

I think Kunitz played primarily with MacDonald and Selanne in Anaheim. Penner played with Getzlaf and Perry.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks get a left shooting scoring LW with a history of success beside Getzlaf and Perry, Pens get some extra cap wiggle room while becoming younger, faster, and grittier.

The Ducks need that wiggle room as much or more, no chance they would do this.

As mentioned, the only deal that would possibly work for Anaheim would be Stoner for Kunitz, otherwise there's zero interest.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Stoner + mid round pick for Kunitz seems more likely to me to be honest

Why exactly would the Penguins do this? Kunitz isn't a salary dump.

Also no to the OP. The extra wiggle room from trading Kunitz really won't make a difference. That cap space wouldn't be prorated (since they will already be in LTIR territory), so it will just be $3 million now or at the trade deadline. Cap space is worthless if you don't have anything to spend it on, and the FA class right now has nothing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Stoner + mid round pick for Kunitz seems more likely to me to be honest

By "mid round" I'm hoping you mean "mid 1st round" as in picking 15-25 or so.

Stoner is bad and has a bad contract. Kunitz, though not the Kunitz of 2009 is 10x more serviceable than Stoner even though it's tough to compare dmen to forwards.

I would do Despres for Kunitz. Or Cogliano for Kunitz plus a 3rd/4th or so.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Stoner is bad and has a bad contract. Kunitz, though not the Kunitz of 2009 is 10x more serviceable than Stoner even though it's tough to compare dmen to forwards.

I see no point in that either because the Penguins don't need Despres. They already have too many #4-#6 defensemen, why would they add another?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

HF has randomly decided Stoner is bad because he's overpaid. He's a solid bottom pairing Dman and was a great partner to compliment Vatanen as he grew into his game. Suggesting a first round pick would need to be added is completely absurd. Obviously no deal lines up involving these players.

I'd easily rather keep Cogliano than have Kunitz, no reason the Ducks would be adding - Cogs is a better player on a better contract.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I see no point in that either because the Penguins don't need Despres. They already have too many #4-#6 defensemen, why would they add another?

Despres's contract now is likely less than what it will take to retain Daley. If Pouliot doesn't come through, we have little options for a #4.

This would give us flexibility with Pouliot and potentially Cole as well. Penguins cruise with:

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Despres

as a solid longer term Top 4. Despres is still a good PMD that can be physical and still fit Sully's system. Not saying it's the #1 move I make, but I find plenty of reason to consider it.

HF has randomly decided Stoner is bad because he's overpaid. He's a solid bottom pairing Dman and was a great partner to compliment Vatanen as he grew into his game. Suggesting a first round pick would need to be added is completely absurd. Obviously no deal lines up involving these players.

I'd easily rather keep Cogliano than have Kunitz, no reason the Ducks would be adding - Cogs is a better player on a better contract.

Penguins have enough bottom pairing ones and I highly doubt there are many teams lining up to take on a $3mil #6. You're right, a 1st is too much but considering he's signed this year and next, the Ducks would have to add an attractive piece to dump Stoner.

Cogs is indeed better than Kunitz, but if you reread the proposal, you'll see that I did not suggest Cogs + for Kunitz. It was indeed the opposite of that. Cogs for Kunitz +

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Despres's contract now is likely less than what it will take to retain Daley. If Pouliot doesn't come through, we have little options for a #4.

This would give us flexibility with Pouliot and potentially Cole as well. Penguins cruise with:

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Despres

as a solid longer term Top 4. Despres is still a good PMD that can be physical and still fit Sully's system. Not saying it's the #1 move I make, but I find plenty of reason to consider it.

Penguins have enough bottom pairing ones and I highly doubt there are many teams lining up to take on a $3mil #6. You're right, a 1st is too much but considering he's signed this year and next, the Ducks would have to add an attractive piece to dump Stoner.

Cogs is indeed better than Kunitz, but if you reread the proposal, you'll see that I did not suggest Cogs + for Kunitz. It was indeed the opposite of that. Cogs for Kunitz +

My mistake, but either way, Cogliano for Kunitz and a small add doesn't make any sense for Anaheim, we get worse and take on money.

Adding a good piece to actually dump Stoner is one thing, but adding to take on even more money? Again it doesn't work at all for the Ducks at all.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

kunitz never played alongside perry and getzlaf

as for the deal, been there done that in regards to kunitz. garbutt is someone the ducks would be very stupid to part ways with

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Despres

We would just lost Despres to the expansion draft in a year anyway, so I really don't see any reason to trade for him. He's not that good, he makes a ton of money, doesn't fill a need at all and he'd be a complete short term option.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
We would just lost Despres to the expansion draft in a year anyway, so I really don't see any reason to trade for him. He's not that good, he makes a ton of money, doesn't fill a need at all and he'd be a complete short term option.

For what it's worth, he was a very good 2nd pairing D before concussion. He may or may not rebound this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

as for the deal, been there done that in regards to kunitz. garbutt is someone the ducks would be very stupid to part ways with

giphy.gif

Fascinating. How might you explain this?:

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/kunitz-161167-getzlaf-perry.html

http://dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_...08:R:99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

Agreed. Bad contract has to go the other way. Stoner and a meh pick.

Not a chance.

Ducks are not a team looking to add salary we need to actually lower it so no deal.

I was under the impression the Ducks were looking for a scoring line LW. How will that be accomplished without adding salary?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Weird...i swear i remember kunitz with perry and getzlaf at times. Could be wrong Though

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
As much as we want it, Kunitz isn't getting traded fellow Pens fans. The organization is enamored with the guy. He's not a terrible player but he's tragically out of place in a top 6 role playing besides Geno or Sid these days. Which is where he'll be unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad