Kucherov/Horvat vs Aho/Barkov vs Panarin/Thomas

Which of these duos would you build a playoff team around

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
leaning towards Kucherov and Horvat, primarily because of Kucherov. Aho and Barkov are close, since they both play center, but neither have really had any slam-dunk great playoff campaigns to their name. Panarin and Thomas come in last because neither one has elevated their play once the dance starts.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This poll is a great example of center bias.

Kucherov and Panarin are both, at worst, top 10 players in the world over the last decade.

Barkov and Aho are a distant third for me.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Kucherov and Panarin are both, at worst, top 10 players in the world over the last decade.

Panarin is also terrible in the playoffs, could have something to do with it.

I would also be wary of having Kucherov lead your team solo without the support he had in TB, given his propensity for cherrypicking.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Panarin is also terrible in the playoffs, could have something to do with it.

I would also be wary of having Kucherov lead your team solo without the support he had in TB, given his propensity for cherrypicking.
Panarin has a better PPG in the playoffs than Barkov does.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hmmm...Gut reaction is definitely the "center bias" mentioned here. It's just a significant edge when you can roll depth across lines like that with TWO #1 Centers. Both of whom are terrific two-way players and able to completely anchor a line.

But it's not a runaway at all. The C/W combos are both really intriguing.

It's hard to bet against Kucherov, but i think Horvat is the weakest link in this poll. He'd be at the absolute bottom of the overall pecking order for me. So that hurts that duo.

Which leads me to the Panarin/Thomas duo. Where...Panarin is a heck of a player and i think Thomas is at least pretty close to breaching that same tier of Center as Aho at this point. Maybe not quite, but it's close enough that it shifts the focus to Panarin vs Barkov. Which...as good as Panarin is, Barkov is a beast in a different way, and i think that's where the "center bias" really tips the scales for me. There's just so much more impact and responsibility to a great two-way center that i think offsets whatever offensive differential there might be. But it's a difficult thing to isolate and quantify in a team game.

Reactions: Felidae

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`m takin 2 No1 C:s, who both play a 200ft game easily. If you start from scratch, you go with 2 1Cs...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Trying to equate Panarin and Kucherov is hilarious.

It's Kucherov >>> Panarin. And if we're talking playoffs, add a few exra >'s for good measure.

Panarin is a pretty good player, but I don't think he's top 10 in the last decade. In contrast, Kucherov is probably around #2, or #3 at worst.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think Barkov is at least the 3rd best player here with an argument for 2nd and Aho is 4th.

Kucherov is obviously the best player here but Horvat is clearly the worst one.

Panarin same deal with Barkov. But Aho over Thomas imo, Better goalscorer and two way player.

I'll take the Barkov/Aho line. Not just on paper, but also the center depth. Both are able to carry their own lines and play in all situations, and you essentially have a 1st line calibre center on the 2nd line with Aho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad