Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sadly we rejected Finland when they wanted to rejoin our great union (probably because we were scared of the consequences of the new border).

But since you asked I often beat box Ukko-Pekka-Ukko-Pekka and it sounds like a synth pop arpeggio. Finnish italodisco is also really trendy in sweden now.

But the best thing about his name is that you can use it as an anagram to write swedens funniest swear word no less than three times!

Explanation of the name
If I understand correctly the name Pekka was seen as vulgar in western finland and Swedish speaking parts. Swedish version would be Peter or Per. But a president called
Per Evind Svinhufvud (last name meaning Hogs-head, swinehead) got the nickname Ukko-Pekka which means "ol' man Pekka" which popularized the name nationwide.

I'm guessing here but I think Ukko has a funnier connotation than "the old man" and is similar to swedish gubben which is a hilarious word in itself. Gramps is probably closer, Gramps-Pekka Luukkonen.
No wonder Helenius thinks it's funny to say during a press conference.
Ol' grandpa pecker floppin' around. I like it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I told this story in the live thread but would like to repeat it here so it’s on the record. At 11 my friend asked who I would take if we’d stayed at 11. I talked through the pros of the top D left…I gave MBN a firm seal of approval. And I answered Konsta Helenius. When 14 came around I just took it as being handed a good second round pick for free since they took exactly who I would have anyway. Would have been happy with a few guys. But this was the shot I called at 11.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Really really like this pick. I thought NJ would grab him as a McLeod replacement but how could they pass of Silayev, and then he seemed like a perfect guy for Minny but they made the move for Buium. The defensemen dropping made this a reality.

Hopefully we dont need to rush him into the NHL. Ostlund as 4C in 25/26, Helenius as 4C in 26/27, I think it works with some veteran wings in the lineups.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Really really like this pick. I thought NJ would grab him as a McLeod replacement but how could they pass of Silayev, and then he seemed like a perfect guy for Minny but they made the move for Buium. The defensemen dropping made this a reality.

Hopefully we dont need to rush him into the NHL. Ostlund as 4C in 25/26, Helenius as 4C in 26/27, I think it works with some veteran wings in the lineups.

I didn’t see Devils taking him with Hughes& Hischier

Calgary or Flyers were the teams in that range I thought

What Buffalo fans will love about him is that he’s relentless, he’d fit perfectly into Panthers last 2 seasons style of hockey. Extremely valuable player come playoff time

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Have read Lundell as well
I only watched a little of each, but I remember lundell really asserting himself on the game in a way I didn't necessarily see from Helenius. I remember feeling like offensively and defensively lundell was always a factor but saw more moments from Helenius than a constant force.

Again, I haven't watched a ton so I'm still optimistic given what others have said, but to me it seems like there is a wide range of outcomes for this player. As much as we need a C I hope he isn't forced over here too early

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Love the pick. Not my guy, but I think he’s pretty naturally a center, and a skilled one and that’s a pretty tough find, historically, outside the top few picks. Feels like a Forton guy. Confident, capable, mature. There are strong arguments to favor the center over the two Norwegians, who were the only other guys I would have liked more. I actually think he’s more likely to fill that 3C roll than Ostlund is.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
No issues with Konsta. Or Nygaard or Hage for that matter. But I do see a general glut in the pipeline and as in business too much inventory often needs to be discounted to move it. I do not see room for everyone, with more on the way.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Like the pick. Natural center. Smart and well-rounded like Ostlund, but a little more physicality.

Sounds like he gets a real shot to make the team this year and possibly stick in Rochester. Love that that's an option.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Sadly we rejected Finland when they wanted to rejoin our great union (probably because we were scared of the consequences of the new border).

But since you asked I often beat box Ukko-Pekka-Ukko-Pekka and it sounds like a synth pop arpeggio. Finnish italodisco is also really trendy in sweden now.

But the best thing about his name is that you can use it as an anagram to write swedens funniest swear word no less than three times!

Explanation of the name
If I understand correctly the name Pekka was seen as vulgar in western finland and Swedish speaking parts. Swedish version would be Peter or Per. But a president called
Per Evind Svinhufvud (last name meaning Hogs-head, swinehead) got the nickname Ukko-Pekka which means "ol' man Pekka" which popularized the name nationwide.

I'm guessing here but I think Ukko has a funnier connotation than "the old man" and is similar to swedish gubben which is a hilarious word in itself. Gramps is probably closer, Gramps-Pekka Luukkonen.
No wonder Helenius thinks it's funny to say during a press conference.
Awesome, thank you.

Geezer-Pete 😅 Would it make sense that UPL was named after Svinhufvud's specific nickname then? Or is Ukko-Pekka a more common name/phrase now?

And sorry for misidentifying you as a Finn, it won't happen again lol.

Reactions: HaNotsri

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Awesome, thank you.

Geezer-Pete 😅 Would it make sense that UPL was named after Svinhufvud's specific nickname then? Or is Ukko-Pekka a more common name/phrase now?

And sorry for misidentifying you as a Finn, it won't happen again lol.
No worries, I've always cheered for Finland and I'm a true fan of their national team.

Reactions: HOOats

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No issues with Konsta. Or Nygaard or Hage for that matter. But I do see a general glut in the pipeline and as in business too much inventory often needs to be discounted to move it. I do not see room for everyone, with more on the way.
Maybe we can make a deal for a discounted player then? Any tracksuits been thrown around the league lately?

Edit: sorry mods, thought this was the draft gdt

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Maybe we can make a deal for a discounted player then? Any tracksuits been thrown around the league lately?

Edit: sorry mods, thought this was the draft gdt
Haven’t seen any, nor have I seen any reports of vets bird dogging the latest draft picks mom. I’ll keep looking and keep you posted.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If we run lines by toi the best way to get the most of having 1 1st line and 2 2nd lines is
18:00
16:00
16:00
10:00

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Pronman's getting bitchy about The Sabres Forward pool
Corey Pronman - the Athletic “yet again, Buffalo takes a sub-6-foot forward with a premium pick. I get the best-player-available angle, but … they are backing themselves into a corner on the trade market by drafting the same player type over and over.”

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Corey Pronman - the Athletic “yet again, Buffalo takes a sub-6-foot forward with a premium pick. I get the best-player-available angle, but … they are backing themselves into a corner on the trade market by drafting the same player type over and over.”
I don't necessarily disagree, however Helenius is an apple compared to the oranges.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
He’s 18. So if he grows 1 inch and is 6 feet tall it’s a good pick? Pronmans work over the last several years has been lazy and short sighted. He’s gotten cushy at The Athletic and it shows in his work.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I doubt we could have gotten much better trade value with the Kulich, Savoie and Peterka picks.
Östlund and Rosén could be argued but Östlund is a very different player and Rosén was picked way back when our forward pool was weaker.

Helenius is different from all those players.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Very happy with Heleius, barely but definitely my preference over MBN. Now Rosen and any/all of the Russians are clearly on top of the "prospects to trade" list. Savoie and Kulich are battling for next (although I prefer to keep both), and Krebs is only there to fill a hole until Helenius and Ostlund are ready.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I have no problem with BPA. It's the correct approach. The risk you run though is that certain types of guys are likely to fall to you and you end up with a bunch of those guys. This is is why it's so important to make deals and use those assets in trade to round out the roster.

Adams said yesterday that they aren't interested in prospect swaps (McGroarty) because they're focused on improving the roster. OK, but prospect swaps are another way of balancing out your pool. He should always be interested in those.

He is too rigid and dogmatic in his approach. He thinks he's being focused and disciplined, but really, he needs to get more flexible and pragmatic instead of trying to force things that fit his narrow vision.

Reactions: Tatanka

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

If your only criteria is under/over 6’, then half the players in the league are all the “same type” lmao. What a knob.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He’s 18. So if he grows 1 inch and is 6 feet tall it’s a good pick? Pronmans work over the last several years has been lazy and short sighted. He’s gotten cushy at The Athletic and it shows in his work.
The funny part is we have giraffes on our team already, but not heavy/strong guys. Konsta is tanky, we need that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad