Knight vs Askarov vs Wallstedt

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Also are there any top goalies prospects in 2022 that you think have a shot at being a 1st round pick? I haven't heard much about any.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Askarov

Knight

Wallstedt

There’s a gap between all these guys. Askarov is a generational goalie prospect. Top 10 pick caliber of goalie. Knight is a top 2-3 goalie prospect of his generation, but not the best. Top 20 or so caliber of goalie. Wallstedt is a borderline first round caliber of goalie. Good, but probably overrated, and doesn’t belong in a comparison with the other two.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Askarov

Knight

Wallstedt

There’s a gap between all these guys. Askarov is a generational goalie prospect. Top 10 pick caliber of goalie. Knight is a top 2-3 goalie prospect of his generation, but not the best. Top 20 or so caliber of goalie. Wallstedt is a borderline first round caliber of goalie. Good, but probably overrated, and doesn’t belong in a comparison with the other two.
How would you compare Wallstedt to Samsonov and Oettinger as prospects?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How would you compare Wallstedt to Samsonov and Oettinger as prospects?

Samsonov
Oettinger/Wallstedt

I think it's close between the three. I like Samsonov the best because he's such a dynamic athlete with elite size and lateral quickness. He's similar to athletically to Vasilevskiy or Askarov, but without any of the technical refinement. He's also doing pretty well now in the NHL, and the farthest along in his career. Oettinger/Wallstedt is right around a tie, but Oettinger isn't that far from the NHL and playing well, while Wallstedt hasn't yet been drafted, so that has to break any tie.

Reactions: mymerlincat

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
These are three absolutely fantastic goaltending prospects.

For me it's:

1. Wallstedt - I am just in awe of this kid's poise in net, probably the best Swedish goaltending prospect ever IMO. I'd almost go as far as to say... he could be the best Swedish prospect since Dahlin. Flame away...

2. Knight - He looks like a young Carey Price and it's a joy to see. Almost Carter Hart-esque; he will play, and he will play soon.

3. Askaraov - Acrobatic reflexes, high energy goaltending, insane compete level and a treat to watch. My only concern is that he could be the next Mrazek, flashy and exciting, but lacking some consistency.

I have faith that all three will be allstar netminders, and the order could easily change.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
These are three absolutely fantastic goaltending prospects.

For me it's:

1. Wallstedt - I am just in awe of this kid's poise in net, probably the best Swedish goaltending prospect ever IMO. I'd almost go as far as to say... he could be the best Swedish prospect since Dahlin. Flame away...

2. Knight - He looks like a young Carey Price and it's a joy to see. Almost Carter Hart-esque; he will play, and he will play soon.

3. Askaraov - Acrobatic reflexes, high energy goaltending, insane compete level and a treat to watch. My only concern is that he could be the next Mrazek, flashy and exciting, but lacking some consistency.

I have faith that all three will be allstar netminders, and the order could easily change.
Next year will be very telling for Wallstedt, but he looks extremely promising. Best ever though? Markstrom had an INSANE amount of hype.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Next year will be very telling for Wallstedt, but he looks extremely promising. Best ever though? Markstrom had an INSANE amount of hype.
At this point in time Wallstedt is a better prospect than Markström was. He'll also have every opportunity to further prove himself considering he's expected to have a permanent spot in the SHL by Luleå.

Reactions: CraigBillington

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
At this point in time Wallstedt is a better prospect than Markström was. He'll also have every opportunity to further prove himself considering he's expected to have a permanent spot in the SHL by Luleå.
Interesting. I'll be watching him closely then

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
1. Wallstedt
2. Askarov
3. Knight

That's how I'd have them, but I'm not a goalie scout by any means.

Reactions: Zaddy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Of the three, Knight is coming off the best season.

He was quite good on a Boston College team that exceeded expectations and looked like it could get a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

knight
Wallstedt
Askarov (hard to shake his poor WJC).

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
All theee very good. I’m no expert at goalie evaluation, but I would say they’re very close. Wallstedt probably takes the top spot for me.

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
From what I've seen of Wallstedt I like him the most. They're all pretty close. I'd take Wallstedt first, then Askarov, then Knight. I believe Knight is a lot more polished than Askarov but Askarov wins out because of a higher ceiling, but it's close.

I feel like Wallstedt is what Askarov has been hyped to be but isn't. Wallstedt's fundamentals look a lot more solid to my eye, and he's a guy I'd have a lot more faith in when the game is on the line.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Knight
Askarov
Wallstedt

Maybe I am showing some age bias, but taking the more developed netminders for sure

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Knight
Askarov
Wallstedt

Maybe I am showing some age bias, but taking the more developed netminders for sure

Yeah so if I had to rank who will be best with money on the line, I'd go:
Knight
Askarov
Wallstedt
Simply because I think any goalie prospect can essentially turn to garbage overnight so whoever is closest to the NHL and still playing well takes the cake for me.

If I ignore the fact that Knight and Askarov are further along in their development and simply go by how much I like their game, I probably go:
Wallstedt
Askarov
Knight
Ultimately I view Askarov as the most explosive of the three. Athletic and capable of making saves the other two can't. Knight is the steadiest of the three. Positionally sound and great at reading the plays so he doesn't need to make that crazy save. Wallstedt is sort of the best of both worlds. So ultimately I view him as the highest potential. Really all three are rare prospects in that they're all smart positionally and capable of making very athletic desperation saves.

But ultimately if you offered me any of the three I'd take Knight simply because he's close to making it and thus has fewer chances to go through the failed goalie prospect transformation

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah so if I had to rank who will be best with money on the line, I'd go:
Knight
Askarov
Wallstedt
Simply because I think any goalie prospect can essentially turn to garbage overnight so whoever is closest to the NHL and still playing well takes the cake for me.

If I ignore the fact that Knight and Askarov are further along in their development and simply go by how much I like their game, I probably go:
Wallstedt
Askarov
Knight
Ultimately I view Askarov as the most explosive of the three. Athletic and capable of making saves the other two can't. Knight is the steadiest of the three. Positionally sound and great at reading the plays so he doesn't need to make that crazy save. Wallstedt is sort of the best of both worlds. So ultimately I view him as the highest potential. Really all three are rare prospects in that they're all smart positionally and capable of making very athletic desperation saves.

But ultimately if you offered me any of the three I'd take Knight simply because he's close to making it and thus has fewer chances to go through the failed goalie prospect transformation

I think that's a pretty good analysis of the goalies. I think the three of them are going to be the next great crop of era defining goalies.

My preference is for Wallstedt. The kid is 18 and is a top goalie in the SHL right now while regularly playing.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Sorry if this is frowned upon but I think bumping this exact thread is interesting as we are further along the career arcs for these three top prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad