Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
He's the kind of guy that's had been on a pretty good development trajectory, and has the size and skill set that would be useful on a bottom D pair (ie. he's a physical, increasingly mobile and competent enough with the puck) that teams like to take chances on in the later rounds. If not that, another season of improvement should put him on track to get some kind of pro contract in the coming years.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
What does this mean for OHL Rangers hockey?...especially with the WHO announcing that asymptomatic spread of the corona virus is "very rare".

upload_2020-6-8_23-53-0.png

Reactions: robertmac43

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
What does this mean for OHL Rangers hockey?...especially with the WHO announcing that asymptomatic spread of the corona virus is "very rare".

View attachment 349300
Doesn't change anything.....very very small chance at spreading it when asymptomatic but they can be contagious in a cpl weeks...(or so I heard on the radio and seen online) that headline is giving ppl a false sense of security.
The WHO has totally mixed messages and unfortunately they have been wrong on so many things when it comes to Covid19

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoBlue and blkhawk

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Doesn't change the anything.....very very small chance at spreading it when asymptomatic but they can be contagious in a cpl weeks...(or so I heard on the radio and seen online) that headline is giving ppl a false sense of security.
The WHO has totally mixed messages and unfortunately they have been wrong on so many things when it comes to Covid19
Yup...it all depends on "who" you listen to and the Who is not exactly a great source. BUT European countries who have been open on several fronts are showing positive steps moving forward. We're just not hearing about it on mainstream media. Hopefully these protests won't screw up recovery. Fingers crossed for a return to sports (and yes, hockey) sometime this fall.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
it appears that a number of facilities will be opening with restricted capacities, hockey arenas will likely be similar. Places like Mississauga could stay at a significantly reduced attendance capacity while others are permitted more.

Mar 12, 2009
Yup...it all depends on "who" you listen to and the Who is not exactly a great source. BUT European countries who have been open on several fronts are showing positive steps moving forward. We're just not hearing about it on mainstream media. Hopefully these protests won't screw up recovery. Fingers crossed for a return to sports (and yes, hockey) sometime this fall.
which European countries? I know Sweden was open on many fronts and planned for herd immunity and it went terribly. Mainstream media is bad for a lot of things, but you seem to buy some of the msm's narratives re: protests "screwing things up". If protests will screw up recovery, the psycho's with the guns taking over government buildings to protest quarantine a few weeks back will have already started that process (who people, including mainstream media, conveniently forget and who didn't push that narrative as much then as now). We wouldn't have had these protests if police took some time off of killing unarmed minorities during a pandemic .

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I was thinking the same but do you hold up an entire league for one or two teams? Some tough decisions ahead!

as of now, the hold ups will be the 3 American teams and Mississauga. the American teams become less of an issue when they’re allowed to cross the border without a 2 week quarantine, but the GTA will probably continue to be madness.

seeing that attendance is already an issue in Mississauga, could they possibly find a new home for the season? they could play the season in Cornwall for example. there’s been lots of talk of a team going there anyways, so it could work as a nice trial for the league. they could be added to the east road swing (Kingston, Ottawa) and it would eliminate a road trip for the western conference teams.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
it appears that a number of facilities will be opening with restricted capacities, hockey arenas will likely be similar. Places like Mississauga could stay at a significantly reduced attendance capacity while others are permitted more.

if the GTA continues like they are, the league can’t responsibly allow a team to play there

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
as of now, the hold ups will be the 3 American teams and Mississauga. the American teams become less of an issue when they’re allowed to cross the border without a 2 week quarantine, but the GTA will probably continue to be madness.

seeing that attendance is already an issue in Mississauga, could they possibly find a new home for the season? they could play the season in Cornwall for example. there’s been lots of talk of a team going there anyways, so it could work as a nice trial for the league. they could be added to the east road swing (Kingston, Ottawa) and it would eliminate a road trip for the western conference teams.
Why are we hi-lighting Mississauga? - Oshawa, Windsor, Hamilton, Niagara are all still in Phase 1 so nothing much opening yet.

Reactions: GeoBlue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
which European countries? I know Sweden was open on many fronts and planned for herd immunity and it went terribly. Mainstream media is bad for a lot of things, but you seem to buy some of the msm's narratives re: protests "screwing things up". If protests will screw up recovery, the psycho's with the guns taking over government buildings to protest quarantine a few weeks back will have already started that process (who people, including mainstream media, conveniently forget and who didn't push that narrative as much then as now). We wouldn't have had these protests if police took some time off of killing unarmed minorities during a pandemic .
Torgo.......please read up on Denmark, Finland, and Germany....and yes, Sweden....but from their sources not ours. Not sure where you get me "buying into" MSM narratives. If anything, I'm quite the opposite. I am, however, not in favour of large mass gatherings no matter what the reason when, at that time, gatherings of 5 people were the max. I sincerely hope that there will be no increases in new Covid cases as a result. And if there's not, then let's keep opening up and get out of this temporary normal.

Mar 12, 2009
Torgo.......please read up on Denmark, Finland, and Germany....and yes, Sweden....but from their sources not ours. Not sure where you get me "buying into" MSM narratives. If anything, I'm quite the opposite. I am, however, not in favour of large mass gatherings no matter what the reason when, at that time, gatherings of 5 people were the max. I sincerely hope that there will be no increases in new Covid cases as a result. And if there's not, then let's keep opening up and get out of this temporary normal.
I have, that's why Sweden isn't a place I'd be modeling my countries response to COVID after.

Reactions: nelli27

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I think the third bullet in The Record article applies to the Rangers, something about final phase and at least 2021.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I was thinking the same but do you hold up an entire league for one or two teams? Some tough decisions ahead!

You can add 3 more teams if the border doesn't open.

I really can't see them patching a season together with a handful of Midwest and East teams along with Northern Ontario. Anything near Toronto is a huge mess, along with Ottawa and Windsor. There haven't been many signs of that changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoBlue

RichieRice

Jan 8, 2018
If this keeps MM with the club for a longer stint before he inevitably moves up to pro hockey, I think it's a great move. Certainly can't argue with the results. It'll be interesting to see if the assistants remain the same.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
MM remains coach and general mgr of the Rangers......

Shocking ;) I wish MM continued success.

MM does seem to suggest that he's (understandably) 'taking one for the team': “Right now, this decision makes the most sense for our organization.”

interesting to see if the assistants remain the same

Both are due for contract renewal I believe. Karlsson is a rising star and would be nice to have a couple+ more years before he moves on and Wideman seemed to be a capable assistant to MM last season after an unremarkable early tenure.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
If this keeps MM with the club for a longer stint before he inevitably moves up to pro hockey, I think it's a great move. Certainly can't argue with the results. It'll be interesting to see if the assistants remain the same.
“Assistant coaches Dennis Wideman and Andreas Karlsson, goalie coach Kain Tisi and development coach Brandon Merli have all been asked to return as well.”

from Josh Brown’s article

Reactions: K2

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
other news, CHL confirmed import draft for June 30th. not sure where the Rangers will be picking but I imagine around the late 40s/early 50s.

not sure about many names for the draft, but I'm hoping for an 02 or 03 left wing. assuming one or both of Petizian and Pinelli will be playing centre this season, the left side will be a bit weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad