Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
MM needs his starter this year to be someone he is confident to have start 40+ games. Jackson Parsons will be the backup goalie, but as a 16 year old we don’t really know what to expect. if things don’t go as planned with a 16 year old goalie, you need someone that you can rely on to carry the load.

have either Torchia or Pfeil proved that they could play 45-50 games if Parsons has a tough time adjusting to the OHL? not even close. they have played a combined 50 games (47 + 3).

I’d be looking at a cheap OA who can get them through 1 partial rebuild year. Daniel Murphy from Erie or Christian Purboo from Sudbury are 2 guys that will be in crowded OA situations. they both had meh OHL careers but both started 40+ games last season
If those goalies are claimed off waivers then ok....or a 16th round draft pick ;)...then ok!

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
If those goalies are claimed off waivers then ok....or a 16th round draft pick ;)...then ok!

waivers are very possible. I can’t see much more than a 6th round pick or something being the best offer. just a void filler until an actual contending season where (hopefully) they have more picks to get a top guy

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
You can't ever believe that MM is going to keep a sub-par back up goalie OR a goalie that hasn't played 3 games in four years as one of your OA's! Your OA spots have to be productive players at whet ever position they are slotted for on each team. JMO.

Just working with what we have in my previous post. Of course, MM has always had the ability to find a hidden gen (Culina) or trade for an up and comer. (Ingham) I would not spend much for an OA goalie in a non-contending year, though.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Torchia or Pfeil is fine with me. I know they arent great and that’s ok with me...might be better for more loses and a better pick. Hopefully Parsons can get around 50% of the starts. If I’m trading for a OA goalie I ain’t giving up more then a 10th round pick for a year we should finish lower pack.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Torchia or Pfeil is fine with me. I know they arent great and that’s ok with me...might be better for more loses and a better pick. Hopefully Parsons can get around 50% of the starts. If I’m trading for a OA goalie I ain’t giving up more then a 10th round pick for a year we should finish lower pack.

I think we all know MM won’t “tank”. he will try to get a competent starting goalie

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think we all know MM won’t “tank”. he will try to get a competent starting goalie

I expect him to bring a competent goalie. Either via trade or waivers, or maybe someone we already have rights to. But in a non-contending season, with our draft pick cupboard in the state it is in, I’m not trading value for an overage goaltender in a non-contending season for the sake of not tanking.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I expect him to bring a competent goalie. Either via trade or waivers, or maybe someone we already have rights to. But in a non-contending season, with our draft pick cupboard in the state it is in, I’m not trading value for an overage goaltender in a non-contending season for the sake of not tanking.

nothing breeds winning like winning. What’s best for prospect development is stability IMO. An average starting goalie needs to be between the pipes or players don’t play the same way and can’t develop those proper habits.

Case in point Luke Richardson: remember how deflated those teams were after the first shot softies or consecutive goals against?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
nothing breeds winning like winning. What’s best for prospect development is stability IMO. An average starting goalie needs to be between the pipes or players don’t play the same way and can’t develop those proper habits.

Case in point Luke Richardson: remember how deflated those teams were after the first shot softies or consecutive goals against?

Kitchener is not going to win next year. The worst thing they could do is finish 7th and get the 8th overall pick instead of bottoming out and getting a top 4 pick

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Kitchener is not going to win next year. The worst thing they could do is finish 7th and get the 8th overall pick instead of bottoming out and getting a top 4 pick

did I say win the playoffs or even make it? Nope. Acquiring a league average starting goalie for development of players playing in front of him is not the same.

and Kitchener will not intentionally miss the playoffs, I don’t think McKenzie will want that as he’s said the model is to compete year in and year out. Obviously he knows more all in years then others.

You say it would be awful to finish in the 7/8 slot instead of top 4. I’d say Pinelli worked out nicely outside top 10.

Mar 12, 2009
same thing people said when we went from potentially dropping out of the playoffs, to 7/8 nd then finished higher getting the 13th overall pick. The sky was falling when we went from a potential 5-6 overall pick to 13th...that went ok. I'd prefer to get the highest pick possibly, but actually think 7-8th and getting a 5-9 pick won't affect the Rangers the same way it might other teams. So you get a high pick and playoff experience for the kids.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I made my “average” OA goalie statement based on a mixture of what I thought would be good and what I think MM will actually do.

of course I’d love him to get an 18 year old stud who can lead the way for 2 seasons. the assets aren’t really there right now. I know he will try to put out a competitive team rather than a full on rebuild, which is why I think he will get someone to fill the void until 2021-22 when we hopefully have some returned assets for Vukojevic and 1 or 2 of the OAs.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Grow Swick Grow!
I just hope the kid can put the puck in the net, I mean he’s massive gotta deflect in somehow right?

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Anyone know if the Rangers have OHL rights to any NCAA players?
NCAA is probably more uncertain in terms of next season than the OHL. For NCAA players wanting to further their hockey careers a jump to the O could be an attractive proposition.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Anyone know if the Rangers have OHL rights to any NCAA players?
NCAA is probably more uncertain in terms of next season than the OHL. For NCAA players wanting to further their hockey careers a jump to the O could be an attractive proposition.

from the 2017/2018 drafts, here are the players commit to NCAA schools for 2020-21:

2017- Aidan Fulp (RD- Western Michigan), Simon Mack (RD- Penn. State)
2018- Cole McWard (RD- Michigan)

2016 draftees would be OAs, 2019 and 2020 obviously too young for NCAA. there are a few of the draft picks who are commit to schools for the 2021-22 seasons (Colin Purcell, Kyle Van Compernolle), so unless they already planned to de-commit, I can't see a hindered 2020-21 season changing their minds.

all the guys listed for the 2020-21 NCAA season are right-handed D-men. they would be coming into a D-core with Vukojevic (maybe?), Sebrango, MacPherson, Ottavainen (also maybe?), Motew, Xhekaj, Wale and LeBlanc. will MM give away someone like Simon Motew's ice time to bring in one of these players who never really wanted to come but now have no other option? I hope not. none are NHL draft picks so it might not be worth it

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

K2

Jun 11, 2015
2016 draftees would be OAs,

Our 2017, Fulp is already 20 too. We had a good look at (big) Kyle Van C and he might still be an outside possibility. Slated to move all the way out to Nanaimo this season and hoping to see lots of ice. I'm sure we'll check back in to see if he's 100% committed to Michigan Tech should he be playing well in BC.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad