Movies: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (May 10, 2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Huh, I always wondered if they were going to do another Apes movie. I'm not sure how necessary it is, but eh why not.

As long as they continue to have strong ape characters and have the right balance with the human characters I'll be happy. One thing I always liked about the last three movies where the apes were actually the main characters.

In contrast with the Transformers movies where they kept on focusing on Shia Leboeuf's character(which was fine for the first movie but come on...).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Huh, I always wondered if they were going to do another Apes movie. I'm not sure how necessary it is, but eh why not.

As long as they continue to have strong ape characters and have the right balance with the human characters I'll be happy. One thing I always liked about the last three movies where the apes were actually the main characters.

In contrast with the Transformers movies where they kept on focusing on Shia Leboeuf's character(which was fine for the first movie but come on...).

Humans can't speak anymore, so it should be very ape focused.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hm, then when starts the original story of Planet of Apes?
Most of it takes place in 3978, or 2000 years into the future, so this new movie is about 1650 years before the original story. Still lots of time to milk with sequels.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's May 10th now? I guess that I have to change a thread title... again.
They should have them beating and capturing vagrants
Then taking pictures, hogtying them and loading them into trucks.

planetapes2.jpg

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Recently rewatched all three with the Mrs. who hasn’t seen them previously. They’re still all very good 7-8/10 movies. I hope they keep this going.

I wonder how many more of these they do before they remake the original. It’ll be interesting to see how well this movie does without Caesar/Serkis as the main. Definitely a huge part of what made those movies so captivating

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Recently rewatched all three with the Mrs. who hasn’t seen them previously. They’re still all very good 7-8/10 movies. I hope they keep this going.

I wonder how many more of these they do before they remake the original. It’ll be interesting to see how well this movie does without Caesar/Serkis as the main. Definitely a huge part of what made those movies so captivating
I read Serkis was very involved in the making of Kingdom giving guidance to the cast.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I read Serkis was very involved in the making of Kingdom giving guidance to the cast.
Are they doing similar facial expression work on the main characters that Serkis was doing for Caesar? That would make me very hopeful for this movie kicking ass.

If they just go the CGI route that cheapens it a little and I’d imagine other parts of the movie will suffer as well

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
How is nobody talking about this? Just got back from the theater and wow what a movie. Owen Teague kills it as Noa. Can't think of any real complaints. Acting was all around excellent for me. Great blend of action and dialogue. Incredible shots. You really feel like you're there in that planet of the apes. Thought provoking story that leaves me wanting more and more. Luckily, it looks like at least two more will be made. Giving us a new prequel trilogy essentially.

Raka dying killed me a little inside. We all need a Raka friend. The ending gave me chills. Both main characters just doing what they think is right for their people. You can't really fault either of them. That definitely won't be the last we see of Mae.

These movies make me want to go back and watch the originals. The visuals might be hard to get through but I'm really considering it. I think I only saw the first one a long time ago. I wasn't even a big planet of the apes fan before these prequels but now I can't get enough of this world. I'm not sure how they're able to continue to put out good movies when it seems like every other older franchise just churns out garbage. Whatever they're doing differently needs to be the trend and not the exception.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
How is nobody talking about this? Just got back from the theater and wow what a movie. Owen Teague kills it as Noa. Can't think of any real complaints. Acting was all around excellent for me. Great blend of action and dialogue. Incredible shots. You really feel like you're there in that planet of the apes. Thought provoking story that leaves me wanting more and more. Luckily, it looks like at least two more will be made. Giving us a new prequel trilogy essentially.

Raka dying killed me a little inside. We all need a Raka friend. The ending gave me chills. Both main characters just doing what they think is right for their people. You can't really fault either of them. That definitely won't be the last we see of Mae.

These movies make me want to go back and watch the originals. The visuals might be hard to get through but I'm really considering it. I think I only saw the first one a long time ago. I wasn't even a big planet of the apes fan before these prequels but now I can't get enough of this world. I'm not sure how they're able to continue to put out good movies when it seems like every other older franchise just churns out garbage. Whatever they're doing differently needs to be the trend and not the exception.
The first one was great. Seeing it as a kid the ending was amazing. Charlton Heston was the man.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I saw Kingdom last month and loved it. They've layered a wealth of ape culture onto the characters that not only feels authentic, it looks amazing thanks to acting enhanced by digital-capture. We're light years advanced from masks and CGI, so the main ape characters are as evocative and real as the humans.

What makes the Ape franchise a cut above most others is it's remained tethered to its original canon, while never allowing the story to spin away from the relationships between its main characters. Whatever your feelings about talking apes, they still haven't advanced much beyond bows and arrows, so the story remains character-driven rather than reliant on super powers or bigger weapons. And for those of us who remember the planet Charlton Heston landed on almost 60 years ago, there are a couple of cute nods to that world to make this film part of a greater reality.

In Kingdom, Caesar's been gone for many years, and ape tribes have either misunderstood or intentionally twisted his message. Did Caesar want peaceful coexistence with humans? Did he want apes to hijack ancient human weaponry to ensure dominance? Nobody's sure and, not surprisingly, the answer changes depending on the agenda. It's ape versus ape, ape versus humans, and humans versus the virus that took them out of the game in the first place. The final scenes set up the next instalment which, if they stay faithful to the story and the quality, will be something I'm psyched to see.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In Kingdom, Caesar's been gone for many years, and ape tribes have either misunderstood or intentionally twisted his message. Did Caesar want peaceful coexistence with humans? Did he want apes to hijack ancient human weaponry to ensure dominance? Nobody's sure and, not surprisingly, the answer changes depending on the agenda.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but that's intriguing. The original movie was a reflection of the Civil Rights movement of the 60s and Caesar in the prequels reminded me of MLK. Setting this movie generations after his death and having his message get a little lost or misused to support one's own message seems like a rather clever way to extend the analogy and give the film some contemporary relevance. I hope that that was the idea because it would help to justify the film if it's not just the turn-off-your-brain popcorn movie that it seemed on the surface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad