Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] G Kevin Lankinen signs with the Canucks (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is honestly pretty significant news for Vancouver, this means that demko is going to need some more time most likely, and they wanted more depth for goaltending.

I think the worst thing about this is maybe the lack of trust in silovs

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This is honestly pretty significant news for Vancouver, this means that demko is going to need some more time most likely, and they wanted more depth for goaltending.

I think it’s insurance to let Demko settle in slowly, Silovs was ok in a small sample size but I don’t think he’s ready for full time NHL duty

Reactions: Metalwood

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I think it’s insurance to let Demko settle in slowly, Silovs was ok in a small sample size but I don’t think he’s ready to full time NHL duty
Does not exactly show him a ton of confidence, I do wonder if he struggled at training camps or something?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kinda shows where Demko is TBH. I think Silovs proved in the playoffs that he deserves to be a legit #2 this season. But Lankinen has also been a very good backup for the last few years. Kinda surprised he was still available. I don't think this is a desperation move from him though, surely there were other teams interested.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Does not exactly show him a ton of confidence, I do wonder if he struggled at training camps or something?
9 games under his belt (regular season), you don’t want to derail what seems like good progression by a 23 year old. He still needs to adapt to NHL talent and get more time training with the big leagues. Smart move to get some insurance if he struggles.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
9 games under his belt (regular season), you don’t want to derail what seems like good progression by a 23 year old. He still needs to adapt to NHL talent and get more time training with the big leagues. Smart move to get some insurance if he struggles.
It could also mean that he still dealing with a little bit of an injury. Also, let’s not forget he got hurt as well.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Kinda shows where Demko is TBH. I think Silovs proved in the playoffs that he deserves to be a legit #2 this season. But Lankinen has also been a very good backup for the last few years. Kinda surprised he was still available. I don't think this is a desperation move from him though, surely there were other teams interested.
Lankinen was offered a sub 1m contract earlier, he refused and was holding out to get a minimum of 1m. Interest in him has to be low

It could also mean that he still dealing with a little bit of an injury. Also, let’s not forget he got hurt as well.
Likely, he was reported to be working through it just a couple weeks ago.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I think it's more that Lankinen has proven a lot more, while Silovs has 19 games. Not going to throw a starters role at a guy with that little experience on a team that wants to go deep this year.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
That contract is amazing, under 1 million unreal, at the start of free agency he was looking for 2.5 for three years + apparently

Reactions: mattihp

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That's a great deal for Canucks. Lankinen has proven to be a good backup, and getting him for less than 1M.

There's an asset to be traded there, if Demko and Silovs are going to be their tandem this year. Because someone will be looking for a goalie...
If he exceeds, you can probably squeeze a 2nd or defenceman from a desperate team

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Surprised they got him for that cheap. Was there zero market for him, or did he really want to be in Vancouver?

Reactions: Brookbank

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Good insurance.
Lankinen held out as long as possible but was probably only offered a PTO by other teams if I had to guess.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Surprised they got him for that cheap. Was there zero market for him, or did he really want to be in Vancouver?
I think there was no market for him considering that it was reported that he rejected Canucks offers prior. Looks like Allvin just waited him out and he caved

Reactions: BWJM

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I'm wondering about Demko right now, does he start the year on IR? With the way things are shaping up it looks like Juulsen will be 7th d-man and he really impressed me to end the year, Friedman would be the odd man out if they run 3 goalies. This is completely my opinion but this is how I'd shape the lineup out.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hogland-Suter-Sherwood
Sammy Blias

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Juulsen/Friedman

Silvos
Lankinen

Reactions: David71

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

I personally believe Silovs also has a nagging injury. Just the way he was left off the Latvia team and the noise around it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad