Kessel's stoic goal "celebrations"

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It kind of annoys me and comes off as more cocky than had he just celebrated like a normal human. It's kind of like "yea i scored what were you even expecting"

Really? It comes off as exactly the opposite to me. Every time he doesn't celly, I always imagine him in my head saying "Just playing hackey, right?" :laugh:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
thats called acting like you've done it before... good north american kid, them euros do it differently over there they dont know any better

also kessel is a hard and manly player thanks to our hard coach

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
It kind of annoys me and comes off as more cocky than had he just celebrated like a normal human. It's kind of like "yea i scored what were you even expecting"

You're screwed if you do, you're screwed if you don't.

What WERE you expecting? He is on the Leafs to score goals. He does exactly that.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He is not stoic when his teammates score.

Kessel seems to get more excited when it's someone else's goal than his, or if it's the big goal.

This is very, very true. I'm pretty sure Phil hates the attention on himself. Just watch the interviews, he'll give the worst answers when talking about his goals or how the goals came about, "I'm just playin hackey" but watch his expression change when you bring up someone else scoring a goal. Same thing with goal celebrations

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I have no problem with celebrating. You're having fun, there's nothing wrong with showing it. Now, if you're blowing someone out, or you're openly taunting the opposition when doing it, then I don't care for it.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
If he was Canadian he'd be on coaches corner every week with Cherry going "look at this good Canadian kid, doesn't show boat one bit unlike those Russians sliding from end to end on their knees. He's a BEAUTY!!! *thumbs up*"

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
If he was Canadian he'd be on coaches corner every week with Cherry going "look at this good Canadian kid, doesn't show boat one bit unlike those Russians sliding from end to end on their knees. He's a BEAUTY!!! *thumbs up*"

I have a feeling that Grapes will be doing just that tonight.

wulfio*

thats called acting like you've done it before... good north american kid, them euros do it differently over there they dont know any better

also kessel is a hard and manly player thanks to our hard coach

thats a ridiculous statement. never seen Sundin, Datsyuk, Mogilny, etc. play have you?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I don't mind Kessel's celebrations. Its just the type of person he is. With that said I have to admit I do prefer the goal celebrations of Lupul and Kadri.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Really? It comes off as exactly the opposite to me. Every time he doesn't celly, I always imagine him in my head saying "Just playing hackey, right?" :laugh:

That is exactly something he'd say :laugh:

Kessel does celebrate at times but it's never over the top or anything that really catches your eye. His celebrations on the ice match the shy and quiet persona he's got off the ice.

slavis34

Oct 12, 2013
So many people are wrong in this thread.

It's not because because he is exceptionally classy. Look at his interviews. He doesn't come off as classy or professional at all, but arrogant and uncomfortable.

And it's also not because of he is so used to scoring that he just isn't phased anymore or it's "just another day at the office". Look at any other elite goal scorer and they all show more emotion than Kessel in their goal celebrations, so this obviously can't be true.

It's just his personality. He is a shy, introverted guy.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007

It's not because because he is exceptionally classy. Look at his interviews. He doesn't come off as classy or professional at all, but arrogant and uncomfortable.

And it's also not because of he is so used to scoring that he just isn't phased anymore or it's "just another day at the office". Look at any other elite goal scorer and they all show more emotion than Kessel in their goal celebrations, so this obviously can't be true.

He has never appeared arrogant when I've watched any of his interviews. Uncomfortable, sure. I've just never seen the arrogant side to him....?

Mimico

Good Ol' Mimico Boy
Aug 25, 2013
Tarana, Ontario

Arrogant? I don't think your watching the same player. Phil always acts in a humble manner when being asked about his exceptional play. And to say that Kessel doesn't care about scoring goals is equally ridiculous. When he's not finishing, the guys constantly switching stick and slamming the bench door in frustration. He plays to score and to make an impact, he's a lot more driven and intense then people give him credit for.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

So is he arrogant or shy and introverted?

slavis34

Oct 12, 2013
Arrogant? I don't think your watching the same player. Phil always acts in a humble manner when being asked about his exceptional play. And to say that Kessel doesn't care about scoring goals is equally ridiculous. When he's not finishing, the guys constantly switching stick and slamming the bench door in frustration. He plays to score and to make an impact, he's a lot more driven and intense then people give him credit for.

Well, maybe that's just my perception. Perhaps arrogant isn't the right word, but I definitely wouldn't call him classy. His humble remarks, such as crediting a teammate with a great pass, often come off as insincere or forced to me.

Where did I say that he doesn't care about scoring goals?
Not showing emotion =/= not caring.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Those aren't mutually exclusive.

He comes across to me as shy and introverted, never as arrogant. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

edit - in interviews that is. I'm quite sure we'll see a new side on 24/7...can't wait for that lol

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
This thread make me thing of Mogilny when he was with Toronto, he makes Kessel look over the top by comparison :laugh:

Always seemed to be he'd do a great run down the ice with Mats end to end, score a beautiful, exciting goal........and would bend down and adjust his shin pad:laugh:

Don't get me wrong, he did show enthusiasm on some goals, but I'll always remember Mogilny with a "what's the big deal" look after scoring a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad