Ken & Mick - best in the biz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I have really made a conscious effort the past several seasons to really enjoy their work. I'm not actually the biggest fan when Daniels starts screaming, but Redmond is a national treasure, Ozzie is really starting to excel, and Murphy is slightly less awkward than he was when he started. On the whole, their team is a blast to watch, and I especially love when any of former players head down memory lane or give their behind-the-scenes stories on what it was like in the locker room or on the road during their playing days. I love it.

To the rest of the league, suck it losers!!

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
My GF started watching this team with me during the bottomless pit of 2019. She's your classic "sports are boring" gal. Fast forward five years and she now has her own jersey, goes to games every year, and was in tears at the end game 81 this season. Never would have happened without the broadcast crew sucking her in, specifically Mickey Redmond.

Please, please give them a legit playoff run in the next couple of years, they deserve it so badly.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I mean they are great I don't even know who comes close tbh I mainly only watch the Wings but it feels right! Wish the team was as good!!

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Boston got ranked the worst, haha.
I mean they are great I don't even know who comes close tbh I mainly only watch the Wings but it feels right! Wish the team was as good!!
The Kraken, Stars, Canucks and Rangers complete the Top 5 in that order. Man, I'm behind on this sort of thing.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When Mickey Redmond is finally done, that will be a sad day for all of the hockey world. We are blessed. Ken is also great.

Ozzie's constant attempts to be positive can be annoying, espcially when the Wings are playing like total garbage. That talk is for the locker room, not a TV broadcast.

I loved Ozzie the player, but the analyst is boring as can be. He is way too positive and says mostly just generic stuff about the game and what is happening.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I have really made a conscious effort the past several seasons to really enjoy their work. I'm not actually the biggest fan when Daniels starts screaming, but Redmond is a national treasure, Ozzie is really starting to excel, and Murphy is slightly less awkward than he was when he started. On the whole, their team is a blast to watch, and I especially love when any of former players head down memory lane or give their behind-the-scenes stories on what it was like in the locker room or on the road during their playing days. I love it.

To the rest of the league, suck it losers!!
I love high energy Kenny.
HE SCORES! RAYMOND! LUCAS RAYMOND! 4-4! 1:17 TO GO!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Watching a ton of NHL hockey in general and having seen most other local and national teams, we are blessed in Detroit. Except when Ozzie is the color guy, he is as boring as the day is long.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I know we have the best, but if I were to highlight someone from another broadcast team, Sam Rosen on Rangers broadcasts is a good play by play guy. I like him.

Slim picking out there mostly.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I mention this every time there's a related thread, but the Minnesota Wild guys here are really good too. Good play-by-play and good color, and a decent amount of explanation. And just the right amount of homerism and "we got away with one there."

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Love Mick because he’s a homer. but he’s also an old time hockey guy. And if the wings get an unfair call supporting them, he’ll definitely point it out.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Love Mick because he’s a homer. but he’s also an old time hockey guy. And if the wings get an unfair call supporting them, he’ll definitely point it out.

Not just that, they both are excited by the good plays made by both teams. If the other team scores on a pretty play they don’t make a flat call like Jack Edwards. Mick and Ken are able to make the game way more interesting for everyone.

Reactions: jkutswings

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I would not classify Mickey as a homer. Yes, he is definitely rooting for he Wings, but he is pretty fair in commenting on plays pretty straight down the line for and against both the Wings and their opponent.

A homer is someone who will blatantly show bias for their own team while downplaying or excessively blaming the opponent. Neither Mickey nor Ken do that.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I would not classify Mickey as a homer. Yes, he is definitely rooting for he Wings, but he is pretty fair in commenting on plays pretty straight down the line for and against both the Wings and their opponent.

A homer is someone who will blatantly show bias for their own team while downplaying or excessively blaming the opponent. Neither Mickey nor Ken do that.
He's absolutely a homer. But he's good at being an announcer.

Bob Ufer was a homer too. He didn't ever downplay or blame the opponent... he just f***in needed Michgian football to win or he might die.

There is nothing wrong with being a homer. It becomes wrong when you start griping about blatantly obvious calls.

You want to see a homer done wrong... Eddie O. Eddie O is almost impossible to listen to when it's against any of the teams he hated when he was playing.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
My wife doesn't give a toss about any of the hockeying, but nevertheless loves Mickey Redmond and his stories (because how could you not?)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I really loved Dave Strader and Mickey's chemistry. Ken is great too of course. But man Mickey and Dave was just magic.

I always feel so cringe but I ran into Mickey at a bank he was even on the phone and I was the guy that walked up and was like I am a huge fan. :oops:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad