Proposal: Kapanen (PIT) — Donskoi (SEA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kapanen for Donskoi @ 50% retention.

Two players who need a fresh start/change of scenery.

Kapanen is 4 years younger and an RFA at the end of this year. Donskoi is not worth the risk at his $3.9M cap hit, but at 50% is worth it as a gamble for the Pens. KK makes less this season and will cost a lot less to sign next year compared to what Donskoi is making, so this should work out to be a wash for SEA if not a bit of a savings.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Considering how highly Francis valued his cap space during the expansion draft it would be funny to see him blow it on a change of scenery type guy like Kapanen, which is pretty much the entirety of what you find in an expansion draft.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Considering how highly Francis valued his cap space during the expansion draft it would be funny to see him blow it on a change of scenery type guy like Kapanen, which is pretty much the entirety of what you find in an expansion draft.

He's an RFA with QO of like 800k so...not sure I get what you're saying?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Why retention on jarnkrok? His contract isn’t bad. You’d be saving $

That’s a funny way of spelling Donskoi.

I didn’t say Jarnkrok, although he’d be a nice player to consider as well. But because of his better performance, lower salary and expiring contract, more teams will be in on Jarnkrok who will have a long list of suitors.

I’m thinking Donskoi because @ 50% retention we would at least have him locked up for 2 years and I think there’s a pretty good chance we could get his game back on track. The Pens have been great with reclamation projects historically, but I also think his game fits our system as well. We have a ton of depth at LW and C, and Donskoi could be a nice, low risk add for the next 2 years while we build up depth and/or look for other higher end RW’s to add to our system.

Of course, we’d consider other obvious targets such as Jarnkrok, Rakell, etc, but I just thought the KK-JD swap is a low-risk move with pretty decent potential for both teams. I also think it helps both teams because no one is going to get into a bidding war or offer much (if anything) for JD, and gives each of PIT and SEA a chance to move on from something that isn’t working to something that may work better. If KK does well, SEA could either extend him or flip him to another team.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
That’s a funny way of spelling Donskoi.

I didn’t say Jarnkrok, although he’d be a nice player to consider as well. But because of his better performance, lower salary and expiring contract, more teams will be in on Jarnkrok who will have a long list of suitors.

I’m thinking Donskoi because @ 50% retention we would at least have him locked up for 2 years and I think there’s a pretty good chance we could get his game back on track. The Pens have been great with reclamation projects historically, but I also think his game fits our system as well. We have a ton of depth at LW and C, and Donskoi could be a nice, low risk add for the next 2 years while we build up depth and/or look for other higher end RW’s to add to our system.

Of course, we’d consider other obvious targets such as Jarnkrok, Rakell, etc, but I just thought the KK-JD swap is a low-risk move with pretty decent potential for both teams. I also think it helps both teams because no one is going to get into a bidding war or offer much (if anything) for JD, and gives each of PIT and SEA a chance to move on from something that isn’t working to something that may work better. If KK does well, SEA could either extend him or flip him to another team.
Whoops overlooked that… just assumed jarnkrok as he seems to be the hotter commodity. Which actually he would be a good option for pens. Not sure I see the upside in donskoi.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Not sure I see the upside in donskoi.

Should be pretty easy. Take a look at his stats from the past two seasons at Colorado.
He was a capable third line forward in SJ. At Colorado he was a good middle 6 forward pacing for 20+ goals and 50 points - with good defensive play also. Hence his salary.

But when a guy who had been a pretty efficient scorer suddenly starts operating at 3%..... Don't quite get what happened there.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
As inconsistent as Kapanen is he has game breaking moments [unless he has lost this in the last two years]. I don't think Pitts considers this, especially considering how much they paid for him

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Kapanen is 4 years younger and an RFA at the end of this year. Donskoi is not worth the risk at his $3.9M cap hit, but at 50% is worth it as a gamble for the Pens. KK makes less this season and will cost a lot less to sign next year compared to what Donskoi is making, so this should work out to be a wash for SEA if not a bit of a savings.
Pitt can get a better return for Kapanen.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What's Kapanen looking for on his next contract? Doesn't make sense to retain on Donskoi if you're going to pay Kapanen what you are already paying Donskoi. Would make Kapanen massively overpaid next year due to the retention on Donskoi. Donskoi is playing well just having a horrible shooting season. A straight swap for a change of scenery trade makes more sense, retaining makes the trade favor Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He's an RFA with QO of like 800k so...not sure I get what you're saying?

Because kapanen has a cap hit of 3.2M and retention on donskoi would be 1.95M for two years. Pretty pricey for kapanen who is pacing at less than half a point per game on a much better team than Seattle.

Who cares if kapanen's QO is 840k? He would never sign it.

Reactions: Irie

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Should be pretty easy. Take a look at his stats from the past two seasons at Colorado.
He was a capable third line forward in SJ. At Colorado he was a good middle 6 forward pacing for 20+ goals and 50 points - with good defensive play also. Hence his salary.

But when a guy who had been a pretty efficient scorer suddenly starts operating at 3%..... Don't quite get what happened there.
Meh…. Especially @ $3.9M. Jarnkrok is a better target. Just my opinion. I know you are asking for 50% retention. But just not the target I’d go after if I were penguins. But your call.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
As a Kraken fan I would say no especially with retention. As a Pens fan I would like to see Donskoi on the Pens.

I think Donskoi will start scoring. Everything else about his game has been good.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

So Pittsburgh wants to deal Kapanen because he isn't doing much for a guy doing just as little for Seattle. How about Pittsburgh trade Kappy for a pick and move on instead of getting another guy who is struggling? Change of scenery trades work only so often. Pass.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So Pittsburgh wants to deal Kapanen because he isn't doing much for a guy doing just as little for Seattle. How about Pittsburgh trade Kappy for a pick and move on instead of getting another guy who is struggling? Change of scenery trades work only so often. Pass.

I never said this is “my Plan A, most preferred path”. I would hope there is something better out there and would also hope that our management would have the balls to make a bigger splash. But if we don’t find another taker for Kapenen and this deal was the only one on the table, I’d take in a heartbeat.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pitt can get a better return for Kapanen.

I hope so but he’s been available on the market for at least a few weeks and no takers so far. So again, if we can’t get a better deal, we take the best we can get. His cap space would be an asset at this point if we were contemplating another trade.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would imagine Devils would likely be hovering around Kapanen if he were available.

Johnsson swap would be amazing for the Devils. I don’t think Pittsburgh is stupid enough to do that. Zacha seems like it would be a pretty even swap though.

Black N Gold

Feb 4, 2022

Both are struggling and not sure I'm doing this is I'm the Penguins.
Donskoi 2 g 15A 17 pts -10
Kapanen 9 g 17A 26pts even

Donskoi like Kapanen may just need a change of scenery. This is not the worst deal but I think given Kappy's age and talent level there might be a better deal out there..

Reactions: Trade

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd take Donskoi at 50% back on Colorado in a heartbeat, either of Jost or Compher could equally use a change of scenery from the Avs

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I hope so but he’s been available on the market for at least a few weeks and no takers so far. So again, if we can’t get a better deal, we take the best we can get. His cap space would be an asset at this point if we were contemplating another trade.
Calm before the storm. If Kapanen moves its for a piece that helps now . Its not that there isn't deals out there but hextall needs to remind himself he is the GM and allowed to improve the team ..his reluctance cost pitt McCann.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad