Value of: Kakko to Colorado

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Avs rumored to have interest in him during the draft, and the Avs are the kind of team that 'always get their guy'

With Nichuskin likely gone and Kakko's name in rumors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs target him as a cheap Nuke-lite reclamation project 2.0.

However, I'm not sure these teams make great trading partners. I know the Rangers aren't in a rush to move him, but he appears to be stagnating on their roster so maybe it's better to move on (especially if they come up short this season)

Curious what the Ranger's ask would be and if the Avs have the pieces to match it

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Any reclamation projects for a swap? That’s what I’d prefer to do versus a pick or whatever.

I think he’d literally die at altitude though. One of the most pathetic guys on the team whose literal only positive attribute is that he can hold the puck.

————

Hey. Wait. You guys had Martin Skoula. The king of puck poise (decades old HFB meme). He’s a good fit! We’ll take a first. ;)

Not for sale.

Trouba and Mika can be had for a 8th round pick however.
If someone wants Trouba they can have Kakko for free to take the salary.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Any reclamation projects for a swap? That’s what I’d prefer to do versus a pick or whatever.

I think he’d literally die at altitude though. One of the most pathetic guys on the team whose literal only positive attribute is that he can hold the puck.

————

Hey. Wait. You guys had Martin Skoula. The king of puck poise (decades old HFB meme). He’s a good fit! We’ll take a first. ;)

Olausson would be about the only guy that fits the bill

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
you're buying name value here

Yep. Trade should only be done around reclamation projects. Period. I’d take a high ceiling low floor guy (Kakko has a bottom 6 ceiling but is a playable NHLer) on a flyer to see if the team can do something.

Olausson would be about the only guy that fits the bill
What’s the scouting report (30K foot view)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
One thing to note with Kakko. This is a guy who suffers from both a real confidence issue but also just being dumb as f*** about training. He hasn’t done a lick of work on his skating during the offseason. I have no clue what his agent is telling him at this point, and I have no clue what the team has asked him to do, but it’s not working whatever it is.

There’s a 5-10% chance another team can unlock a really solid 2-way second line forward. But more likely, he’ll be a barely adequate bottom six guy at best who can act as a filler when the other free agents are all signed.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

————

Trouba would be a star in Colorado. They've gotten almost 3 years out of the corpse of Jack MFing Johnson. They won a cup with that guy playing minutes.

If we trade KK, it's got to be out west to someone like Colorado, where of he takes off you can attribute it to chemistry with great linemates like McKinnon and not anything we did wrong. He takes off alongside Suzuki, under the team that fired the GM that drafted him, it looks bad.

Honestly, I have been saying all along please get the kid another Finn on the roster. He always looks so sad. Put him next to the moose and you probably have something good there.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Kotkaniemi (if bought out) seems to me like more of an Avs target for reclamation, but why not both?

Avs don't have much that seems to align with NYR folks targets though. As stated above, Olausson is probably the closest to a prospect type, or maybe a swap of 1sts at the draft this year.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Analysis of Kakko has to completely disregard where he was drafted. Get out of your mind that he's Kaapo Kakko "future star" and start looking at him as "Kaapo Kakko, third line wing".

Kakko is an excellent defensive forward who is hard to knock off the puck and generates chances for his team every time he is on the ice. When healthy, he'll get you 15-20 goals easy. I wouldn't be shocked if he had 25 goals/50 points and low tier Selke consideration at his peak. Wouldn't even be shocked if he scored 30+ goals in a career high season, but that shouldn't be the expectation. What Kakko lacks is finishing ability, which sucks because if he was a better finisher with the opportunities he generates, he'd be an elite goal scorer on a regular basis.

As it were, expect that Kakko is going to drive possession and get you 15 goals on the third line.

He's a very valuable player, IF you can bother to forget that he was once the #2 overall pick and touted as a potential superstar.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
The new Desharnais +2nd.
1000010194.jpg

Yeah we can do better

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
3rd round pick. I think that balances out past performance and future potential quite nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad