Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To spin off the conversation that Gary and I had earlier, later on we can't be giving out contracts that are just fair to players that are not our core players. But for the next years, that won't be a problem. As long as we don't give him max term, at least.

However, losing him and having zero center depth to insulate Nylander and Marner could be.

The thing that should be avoided is a fair contraxt over max term. Second on the list is moving him for a sub-par return.

This could change with his off-ice issues.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
To spin off the conversation that Gary and I had earlier, later on we can't be giving out contracts that are just fair to players that are not our core players. But for the next years, that won't be a problem. As long as we don't give him max term, at least.

However, losing him and having zero center depth to insulate Nylander and Marner could be.

The thing that should be avoided is a fair contraxt over max term. Second on the list is moving him for a sub-par return.

Given what happened his off-season with player contracts and the middle-class being squeezed, you can probably get away with signing him to reasonable money over just 4 years.

That way you have him around for most of the rebuild, plus he's still youngish at the end of his contract and can be traded for assets, and he won't stop us from signing any of our younger players.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd prefer to get him signed on a 4-5 year deal than a 6-8 one.

If his contract demands become a built lofty, as an RFA the leafs could move him for assets in the offseason. The team is in a win-win position. With Madri, they don't have to rush any move.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agreed. A 5 years deal is fine. For this to happen I think these things need to happen:

1 - off-ice issues need to be fixed. I'm assuming the issues are minor (or they would have shipped him out already) and this can and will be done.

2 - he has to have a great year. I don't care about the points, he just has to play so that Babcock is happy with him and wants to keep him.

3 - a price has to be agreed on. This goes for all players so hopefully this can be done, 5.5-6m over 5 years seems about right assuming the above points are fulfilled.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
NHL is killing themselves with the whole "giving out ridiculously long deals" thing. His play warrants a 2-3 year deal max. I wouldn't give any player who isnt a superstar close to 5 years. Let them walk. If there will be more UFAs, they will lose power to negotiate.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
NHL is killing themselves with the whole "giving out ridiculously long deals" thing. His play warrants a 2-3 year deal max. I wouldn't give any player who isnt a superstar close to 5 years. Let them walk. If there will be more UFAs, they will lose power to negotiate.

With the free agents signings & PTO's from this past summer we might get to that sooner than some players like.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Letting him walk would be the absolute worst thing to do, from a asset management-standpoint.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. A 5 years deal is fine. For this to happen I think these things need to happen:

1 - off-ice issues need to be fixed. I'm assuming the issues are minor (or they would have shipped him out already) and this can and will be done.

2 - he has to have a great year. I don't care about the points, he just has to play so that Babcock is happy with him and wants to keep him.

3 - a price has to be agreed on. This goes for all players so hopefully this can be done, 5.5-6m over 5 years seems about right assuming the above points are fulfilled.

I think most people would have a hard time disagreeing with this - sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ideally I wouldn't sign him for longer than 5 years - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in rather a strong negotiation position given his suspension last season. But if Babcock gives him the "ok" I can't see how anyone can object to the resigning based on "character issues"

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

If there are more UFAs, there are more holes in teams to fill and so teams also lose power to negotiate.

What's wrong with giving term to a young player? It's not like Kadri's going go decline considerably by age 30.

Term's an issue when it's given to 29 year old like Clarkson or Zajac. But giving term to a 25 year old just means you keep them through their prime.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I like Kadri locked in for 3 years maximum. His body of work even taking into account a projected good season is too small to shell out big dollars

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I think most people would have a hard time disagreeing with this - sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ideally I wouldn't sign him for longer than 5 years - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in rather a strong negotiation position given his suspension last season. But if Babcock gives him the "ok" I can't see how anyone can object to the resigning based on "character issues"

I'm good with a five or six year offer. I'd say start with a five year offer. If he wants more term, offer it to him at a lower cap hit.

My concern is that once his contract is up, he'll be looking for a big paying UFA retirement contract (like Kesler). In about three years after this one is when I see this team really get going, so if Kadri is re-signed to a five year deal, he's only in our cup window for two. Adding another year keeps him around at a reasonable price for longer.

Swayze*

If there are more UFAs, there are more holes in teams to fill and so teams also lose power to negotiate.

What's wrong with giving term to a young player? It's not like Kadri's going go decline considerably by age 30.

Term's an issue when it's given to 29 year old like Clarkson or Zajac. But giving term to a 25 year old just means you keep them through their prime.

Because if he craps the bed or plays mediocre, you're stuck with him for the duration and takes away flexibility

Trading a long term contract is very very tough now.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Nope, more UFA's of similar talent decreases contract value. Teams have the ability to call-up young players on ELC's. Team's aren't at a disadvantage depending on how desperate they are to fill a position.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
In response to a question regarding Kadri's play:

"[o]bviously we're a better team with Bozak in the lineup."

It's going to be interesting to see opinions slowly start to change around here in regards to which player will be viewed as more important to the Leafs moving forward by those actually in a position to decide which direction the team will go. Maybe they will decide to keep both around, and maybe they won't. Right now I think Babcock thinks Bozak is the stronger all around player, who just so happens to be playing on a pretty reasonable contract.

Eventually I think we'll get to the point where all of very very strong "anti bozak" and "pro kadri" positions will be talked about by those so strongly currently opining them as if they never existed.

That's probably how it will go.

Swayze*

I'd be in no rush to lock him up

If he has another sub par year then you can lowball him

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
This was never an issue pre 05 lockout. Leafs signed Mogilny to a 3 year x 5 mil deal. Nowadays he would get a 7 year front loaded deal. Why? The sooner the GMs stop giving out these stupid deals, the better it will be for the league. NBA teams have no problem letting their good players walk if they don't want to pay them.. Why can't the NHL be like that.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This was never an issue pre 05 lockout. Leafs signed Mogilny to a 3 year x 5 mil deal. Nowadays he would get a 7 year front loaded deal. Why? The sooner the GMs stop giving out these stupid deals, the better it will be for the league. NBA teams have no problem letting their good players walk if they don't want to pay them.. Why can't the NHL be like that.

In the nba guys like danny green got 4 years 48 mill, hayward for jazz got 5 year 80 or 90 mill the mex contract. In the nba the cap is different. You can go into luxary tax and rise above the soft cap. Plus nba deals are only allowed to be 5 or 6 years max. Young players almost always get signed in the nba unless they hate their team and ask out, look at eric bledsoe , john henson, brandon knight, brandon jennings, enes kanter, etc good players that were resigned by their teams even if they were overpaid and not really needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad