Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Trade him because I don't think you want him on a rebuilding team at big money, but being a UFA, a new team could use him for the playoffs and either keep him on or not (probably based on his playoff performance).

If he is good enough that a playoff bound team sees him as a piece that could put them over the top...why would we want to trade him? Especially seeing that we drafted him with that same idea in mind ourselves. :help:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
When Marner and Nylander are ready to surpass Kadri do you want to be paying $5,000,000 with term for your 3rd line center.Isn't that the whole reason the team is in this mess.Paying average players too much.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Wanna let me know next week's lotto numbers too while you got your crystal ball out?

People want to poke and prod at his "39 points last year" yet still want assert that he'll get some massive contract next year that makes us need to trade him. Having their cake and eating it too.

Not exactly.

The facts are he is on a 1 year deal. That means he needs a new deal this summer.

2 additional facts. He will still be RFA next year but if he gets another 1 year deal next season, he will become UFA when that one expires.

Projecting that he will get a multi-year deal next summer isn't the stuff of crystal balls, it's practical.

If the Leafs want to keep him on the roster, his next deal can't be for 1 year. He would then hold all the leverage and could walk for nothing as a UFA.

So your choice with him is one of 2 options:

1. Decide he isn't a long term fit and move him at the deadline or in the summer.

2. Decide he is a long term fit and sign him up.

I would go with option 1. It's either long term or no term and I just don't think this season is long enough to determine if (any) improvement on and off the ice is permanent or a blip.

Lowest risk strategy is to move him. We have enough bad contracts to justify a conservative position here.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Wanna let me know next week's lotto numbers too while you got your crystal ball out?

People want to poke and prod at his "39 points last year" yet still want assert that he'll get some massive contract next year that makes us need to trade him. Having their cake and eating it too.

It's nothing more than common sense to say that he'll be getting more than a one year deal from the Leafs. They won't let him walk for nothing. This year is make or break. They like what they see from him, he's signed to a long term deal. They don't like what they see from him and he's traded in the off season (or potentially at the deadline but off season is more likely).

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
You know a team can have more than two top six centre on it - I'd rather have a team with three of them than two.

Especially since both Marner and Nylander can play the wing. Not a bad problem to have. If Kadri shows he can be a #1, then we run with Nylander as the #2 (until he overtakes Kadri) and put Marner on the RW.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Especially since both Marner and Nylander can play the wing. Not a bad problem to have. If Kadri shows he can be a #1, then we run with Nylander as the #2 (until he overtakes Kadri) and put Marner on the RW.

It's the best "problem" a team can have - you can always move guys to the wing.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Not exactly.

The facts are he is on a 1 year deal. That means he needs a new deal this summer.

2 additional facts. He will still be RFA next year but if he gets another 1 year deal next season, he will become UFA when that one expires.

Projecting that he will get a multi-year deal next summer isn't the stuff of crystal balls, it's practical.

If the Leafs want to keep him on the roster, his next deal can't be for 1 year. He would then hold all the leverage and could walk for nothing as a UFA.

So your choice with him is one of 2 options:

1. Decide he isn't a long term fit and move him at the deadline or in the summer.

2. Decide he is a long term fit and sign him up.

I would go with option 1. It's either long term or no term and I just don't think this season is long enough to determine if (any) improvement on and off the ice is permanent or a blip.

Lowest risk strategy is to move him. We have enough bad contracts to justify a conservative position here.

They signed Bernier to a 2 year deal that takes him to UFA. If management isn't sure what they have, they'll give a short term deal.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
5 games in.

Kadri is bringing it.

If he keeps up his play and adds some decent numbers lets say 20 and 35, he will get 5x6 from the Leafs. Im sure of it.

Naz is literally probably the first potential borderline 1st line C the team has ever drafted and developed in the modern era. He will stay. (After some quick research, maybe since Damphousse in 86 and Sittler in 70).

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
They signed Bernier to a 2 year deal that takes him to UFA. If management isn't sure what they have, they'll give a short term deal.

They've already said this is a make or break year. They'll decide this year what they have.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
5 games in.

Kadri is bringing it.

If he keeps up his play and adds some decent numbers lets say 20 and 35, he will get 5x6 from the Leafs. Im sure of it.

Naz is literally probably the first potential borderline 1st line C the team has ever drafted and developed in the modern era. He will stay. (After some quick research, maybe since Damphousse in 86 and Sittler in 70).

I think he puts up more than 20 goals this year. As I said a couple of pages ago, it's five games in and he already has a quarter of the shots he took all season in 12-13 over 48 games. That's insane. I doubt he keeps up that shooting rate but if he did and he shot at around 10%, he'd have over 40 goals. Once again, not saying he'll do that, but I do think he could have around 30 goals this season.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think he puts up more than 20 goals this year. As I said a couple of pages ago, it's five games in and he already has a quarter of the shots he took all season in 12-13 over 48 games. That's insane. I doubt he keeps up that shooting rate but if he did and he shot at around 10%, he'd have over 40 goals. Once again, not saying he'll do that, but I do think he could have around 30 goals this season.

I don't think his shot selection has necessarily been the greatest, but you do need to shoot to score & I know Babcock likes pucks & bodies going to the net. Once his wingers start reading the shots better they will be able to pick up the garbage. Kadri himself will adjust his shot selection as time progresses & everyone becomes more familiar with each other.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
My mistake about him being UFA next year.

Still would rather turn him into some picks while his value is probably highest...just have a feeling we've seen pretty much all we're gonna from him at this stage.

Hopefully I'm wrong...

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
My mistake about him being UFA next year.

Still would rather turn him into some picks while his value is probably highest...just have a feeling we've seen pretty much all we're gonna from him at this stage.

Hopefully I'm wrong...

Why would you think that? He's made noticeable improvements literally every year he's been a Leaf.

And if we have seen all that we're going to get, that's still a very good 2C and more valuable than than some picks are likely to be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why would you think that? He's made noticeable improvements literally every year he's been a Leaf.

And if we have seen all that we're going to get, that's still a very good 2C and more valuable than than some picks are likely to be.

Exactly!

I just don't get the anti-Kadri sentiment. He's a good hockey player, one of the best we have.

I ... just ... don't ... get ... it.

RZA

Nov 3, 2010
Exactly!

I just don't get the anti-Kadri sentiment. He's a good hockey player, one of the best we have.

I ... just ... don't ... get ... it.

Kadri is nice but picks are better! A pick can be anyone I wish.. That franchise center we've always needed? That defender to replace Phaneuf?

That is until that pick becomes a player with strengths and flaws and we decide we need to trade him for another pick. And the cycle continues.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
People see him turn over the puck and think he's bad.

Same thing with Gardiner.

Hint: They turn over the puck because they have it more than most.

Bozak doesn't turn over the puck because he never has it. Kadri turns it over because he has it a lot.

Its that simple. Look at the giveaway leaders in the NHL from last season. They're all great players. Good players turn the puck over more than bad players because bad players never have the puck to turn over in the first place.

Kadri is good. Keep him.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It's more conplicated that just deciding that he is a decent top-6 player, so we keep him. It's about cap management, and spending money intelligently.

Teams that spent too much money on that middle tier of players get in trouble.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's more conplicated that just deciding that he is a decent top-6 player, so we keep him. It's about cap management, and spending money intelligently.

Teams that spent too much money on that middle tier of players get in trouble.

Spending 5ish million on a player who can out up 50 points is fine.

The problem is dropping big dollars on guys who are 25-30 point producers (ie Clarkson, Clowe, ect).

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Kadri is nice but picks are better! A pick can be anyone I wish.. That franchise center we've always needed? That defender to replace Phaneuf?

That is until that pick becomes a player with strengths and flaws and we decide we need to trade him for another pick. And the cycle continues.

Until we finally accumulate all the picks in a draft for enough years in a row that we win the Stanley Cup by default because all the others teams don't have any players!

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
When Marner and Nylander are ready to surpass Kadri do you want to be paying $5,000,000 with term for your 3rd line center.Isn't that the whole reason the team is in this mess.Paying average players too much.

No, the Leafs are in a mess because they barely have any players as 'average' as Kadri, let alone better ones.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
When Marner and Nylander are ready to surpass Kadri do you want to be paying $5,000,000 with term for your 3rd line center.
I can't imagine other teams would be that deterred from trading for Kadri if he's signed to a fair $5M/year deal.

Besides, we'll be getting bargains elsewhere on the roster with Marner, Nylander and the like coming up on ELCs. It's unlikely we would even be forced to move Kadri until the latter years of a, say, five or six-year deal, if at all.

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Nothing wrong with having a vet center on the line up. Marner is 18 years old right now, he's not going to be a 1st line center/winger over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad