Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
One thing I like, Kadri has been a shooting machine this year with 27 shots through 5 games.

Actually leading the league in that regard :laugh:

As a center, he should be distributing the puck to his wingers and not shooting that much himself, as his goal total would indicate.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah Kadri has been shooting a lot when there has been better options. He's been having a bit of tunnel vision lately.

This is not saying he shouldn't shoot either but as you say he is perhaps missing better options and it could be because he is trying too hard and sometimes that doesn't help, he may have to step back and try to be a complete player, Babcock would more appreciate this, than his trying to bump up his goal totals.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah Kadri has been shooting a lot when there has been better options. He's been having a bit of tunnel vision lately.

Considering the fact that he's been choosing to shoot in so many situations, I wonder if he's been told to do that by Babcock.

Perhaps they want him to use his shot more from prime shooting areas.

He doesn't have a very powerful shot, but it can be quite accurate from in close, and he has a knack for getting into good scoring areas.

It's inevitable that if he keeps shooting this much, he'll start scoring more often. I do hope he starts being a little more unselfish though. His passing is his best asset.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The criticism that Kadrinhas been getting for not "passing enough" or for "being selfish" as historically his assist total has been much higher than his goals. The guys a playmaker- if you feel he's shifting more towards shooting I'd wager it's because he's being instructed to do so by the coaching staff.

Jason Blake put a ton of shots on net... just saying.

And Jason Blake was a decent player - the guy hit the 40 goal mark.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Comparing a 50 goal scorer to a guy that has hit 20 once in his career, good one :laugh:.

Kadri has never put up shots at this rate before. Not saying he'll score 50 but if he keeps up this rate of shooting and his sh% remains at his career average, he should surpass 20 goals. He's already put up a quarter of the shots he did in 12-13 through only five games, he played 48 games in 12-13, that's crazy.

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
As a center, he should be distributing the puck to his wingers and not shooting that much himself, as his goal total would indicate.

hahahaha seriously?

You do realize Babcock himself said in an interview that they want him driving the net more often and putting more pucks on goal?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
That's a very obtuse line of thinking. The conclusion you seem to be drawing is, don't trade mediocre players because you can't replace them and you can't get anyone better in a trade. Like JVR for Schenn can't happen, so just keep Schenn. Right?

Kadri's a hell of a lot better than Schenn. He might even be better that JVR.

Don't trade good players because you can't replace them and you likely won't get anything better in a trade. If we're shopping Kadri we'll get less in value than he's worth as a player on our team.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Comparing a 50 goal scorer to a guy that has hit 20 once in his career, good one :laugh:.

350x232px-LL-d4837514_Point_over_your_head.jpeg

hahahaha seriously?

You do realize Babcock himself said in an interview that they want him driving the net more often and putting more pucks on goal?

Bingo

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
This Kadri saga is so absurd. He's not a flawless player by any stretch, but I've never seen Leafs fans dig so deep for any reason they possibly can to to dislike a homegrown prospect that turned out pretty well.

A few years back, you wouldn't have been expressing that unpopular an opinion around here to say that Kulemin was more valuable to us than Kessel based on one really good season. Kadri's already established himself as a better, more consistent player and people just hate on the guy, even resorting to rationalizations as inane as his faceoff percentage and post-game interview quotes. It's really bizarre.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The criticism that Kadrinhas been getting for not "passing enough" or for "being selfish" as historically his assist total has been much higher than his goals. The guys a playmaker- if you feel he's shifting more towards shooting I'd wager it's because he's being instructed to do so by the coaching staff.

Yeah, the reason I've reacted is because he doesn't play like he usually does lately. It could be because he's been told to by Babcock as Hockey Talker said, or it could be that he feels the need to shoulder a lot of responsibility for the scoring himself, with Kessel moved out.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This Kadri saga is so absurd. He's not a flawless player by any stretch, but I've never seen Leafs fans dig so deep for any rationalization they possibly can to to dislike a homegrown prospect that turned out pretty well.

100% agreed.

Kadri's not my favorite player, but the abuse he gets boggles the mind.

Shwaguy*

This Kadri saga is so absurd. He's not a flawless player by any stretch, but I've never seen Leafs fans dig so deep for any reason they possibly can to to dislike a homegrown prospect that turned out pretty well.

A few years back, you wouldn't have been expressing that unpopular an opinion around here to say that Kulemin was more valuable to us than Kessel based on one really good season. Kadri's already established himself as a better, more consistent player and people just hate on the guy, even resorting to rationalizations as inane as his faceoff percentage and post-game interview quotes. It's really bizarre.

It's not because he isn't white. But it's because he doesn't act the stereotypical "White" way. If that makes sense.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
With Nylander and Marner in the pipeline, I don't see Kadri being a fit on this team in 3 years. Presumably, he'll want a big raise and term next contract...I say trade him at deadline for a significant asset instead.
I'd imagine he'd garner you quite a fair bit with his potential and contract situation.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
With Nylander and Marner in the pipeline, I don't see Kadri being a fit on this team in 3 years. Presumably, he'll want a big raise and term next contract...I say trade him at deadline for a significant asset instead.
I'd imagine he'd garner you quite a fair bit with his potential and contract situation.

It's not like we won't have the cap space for him. The young guys haven't even begun their ELCs. Kadri, Rielly, and maybe Bernier are the only players who may need big raises in the next 3 years. We have 5.3M in cap space currently, and over the next three years Bozak, Lupul, Robidas, and the Gleason buyout will guy us over 13M more, on top of the probability of moving Phaneuf. That's so much cap that we could literally sign Stamkos and still have enough to give Kadri, Rielly and Bernier raises.

Trading him isn't a necessarily bad idea, if we get more in value back than Kadri's worth, but that seems unlikely to me. What significant asset do you think he can return that would be worth it?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

So on the one hand you'd like to trade him because of his next contract, then you list his contract situation are one reason he's fetch a good return? You're not making a lot of sense.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
So on the one hand you'd like to trade him because of his next contract, then you list his contract situation are one reason he's fetch a good return? You're not making a lot of sense.

Trade him because I don't think you want him on a rebuilding team at big money, but being a UFA, a new team could use him for the playoffs and either keep him on or not (probably based on his playoff performance).

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Trade him because I don't think you want him on a rebuilding team at big money, but being a UFA, a new team could use him for the playoffs and either keep him on or not (probably based on his playoff performance).

Wanna let me know next week's lotto numbers too while you got your crystal ball out?

People want to poke and prod at his "39 points last year" yet still want assert that he'll get some massive contract next year that makes us need to trade him. Having their cake and eating it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad