Kadri December 2013 ...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With young players you like to see progress and development with experience and age.

Kadri this year is declining in play compared to last season which is the wrong direction desired.

The difference is last year he played sheltered 3rd line minutes against opposition of lesser talent and this year being promoted up the line-up due to greater expectations and necessity due to injuries has not had the desired results.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With young players you like to see progress and development with experience and age.

Kadri this year is declining in play compared to last season which is the wrong direction desired.

The difference is last year he played sheltered 3rd line minutes against opposition of lesser talent and this year being promoted up the line-up due to greater expectations and necessity due to injuries has not had the desired results.

Cammy has made a darn good career being a playmaker from the wing.

Maybe Kadri just isn't cut out for the responsibilities you have as a center?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cammy has made a darn good career being a playmaker from the wing.

Maybe Kadri just isn't cut out for the responsibilities you have as a center?

Agreed, if Kadri's faceoff abilities don't improve then it might be a foregone conclusion that he is a regular winger in the NHL to succeed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed, if Kadri's faceoff abilities don't improve then it might be a foregone conclusion that he is a regular winger in the NHL to succeed.

He's only 20, 21, 22, 23 we have to give him time to be the player everyone said he was a year after he was drafted.

Remember the "penciled in" discussions? How many years ago was that?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He's only 20, 21, 22, 23 we have to give him time to be the player everyone said he was a year after he was drafted.

IDK, he was given his first real shot last year and seemed to do just fine.

They tried him at #1c and it did not work out, so what?

Nothing wrong with him turning into a better then average 2nd line C,is there?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
IDK, he was given his first real shot last year and seemed to do just fine.

They tried him at #1c and it did not work out, so what?

The problem is -- if this team is going to have Dave Bolland or Jay McClement as the 3rd line centre (and personally, I don't see anything wrong with that), they're going to need a 2nd line centre who can step up into a top line role.

That ability to step up is what differentiates a good 2nd line centre from a bad one, as a team has to expect that injuries will occur throughout the season. The other thing that differentiates one is consistency. Kadri has 1 point in his last 8 games despite playing close to 20:00 a night. Even when Kadri put up 44 points in 48 games last year, he did it in spectacularily inconsistent fashion.

Bottom line is, either he, or the guy in his position, needs to be better.

Of course, Edmonton could say the same thing about Sam Gagner -- just needing time. There's certainly no definitive time when a player will reach his full potential.

What we have to decide though, is whether or not we're going to continue to be weak in the middle, and have inconsistent secondary scoring, to hope for something that may or may not ever materialize.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
He's on a 50pt pace. He's a second line center, he's producing like a second line center.

If he scores 10 Pts in his next 10 suddenly everyone will be on his dick again. I've never seen a fanbase so determined to **** themselves over by overestimating.

mcfifty

Dec 29, 2013
He's on a 50pt pace. He's a second line center, he's producing like a second line center.

If he scores 10 Pts in his next 10 suddenly everyone will be on his dick again. I've never seen a fanbase so determined to **** themselves over by overestimating.

:handclap:

A few leaf fans believe that every single one of our players should be infallible and put up at least 20% more points than any other player in the NHL of the same position. A large portion of this fan base should watch other NHL games and see how other teams star players and prospects make the same mistakes ours do. A dose of reality would certainly help this board.

Kadri will be fine, just like Kessel goes through slumps and then starts lighting it up again. You don't make rush decisions on a kid with Kadri's skill set, patience is a virtue people. :)

Our team is LEAGUES better than it was a half decade ago, we will continue to have growing pains, but I like the path we are on. Lets be patient before jumping off the cliff folks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
heh. leaf fans are hilarious. every time a leaf slumps he's garbage that has to be traded.

tonight's game shows an interesting comp.

Chris Krieder was a better prospect than Kadri last year, according to this website and most fans - a MUCH better prospect, actually.

And now this year, Kreider is being praised to the high heavens as a breakthrough player and Kadri is being shat all over as a dissappointment.

and the funny thing?

they're both scoring at exactly the same pace.

perspective.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

That's basically what I've always viewed him as, regardless if he's scoring PPG like last year or struggling this season. Doesn't have the natural gifts of strength and speed to produce consistently against top defenders, but has the skill and vision required to rip second-rate players apart.

Last edited:

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
That's basically what I've always viewed him as, regardless if he's scoring PPG like last year or struggling this season.

problem is around these parts, when you claim Kadri will be a good 2nd line centre providing secondary scoring, you're deemed a hater!

The kid is not cut out now, nor do I believe he ever will be, to be a top line centre in the NHL. I view him as a Mike Riberio or even a Grabovski comparable.

Yeah, I can't stand the kid's unwarranted cockiness and I can do no wrong attitude, but he's got great Offensive talent.

He's either going to be a good part of our scoring OR a big part of a package to bring in a Top pairing Defenseman or possibly that elusive first line Centre. Either way, he plays an important part in the development of this team.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
problem is around these parts, when you claim Kadri will be a good 2nd line centre providing secondary scoring, you're deemed a hater!

The kid is not cut out now, nor do I believe he ever will be, to be a top line centre in the NHL. I view him as a Mike Riberio or even a Grabovski comparable.

Yeah, I can't stand the kid's unwarranted cockiness and I can do no wrong attitude, but he's got great Offensive talent.

He's either going to be a good part of our scoring OR a big part of a package to bring in a Top pairing Defenseman or possibly that elusive first line Centre. Either way, he plays an important part in the development of this team.

The problem is -- even Mike Ribeiro can step up when a top line centre goes down and get the guys there to continue to produce. Mike Ribeiro isn't as much of a liability defensively either.

If Kadri was as good as Ribeiro is today, it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is -- he isn't, and not having somebody who is cost us a lot of games when Bozak was hurt.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Kadri is a great player and has top line talent. You don't trade that ever, because you will likely never be able to get that through trade/free agency.

You want proof? How many 1st line centers have the Leafs been able to acquire through trade since the rebuild?

Exactly why we should keep Kadri and let him develop. Its not like he is playing awful, 50 point pace during a slump is actually quite amazing.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
The problem is -- even Mike Ribeiro can step up when a top line centre goes down and get the guys there to continue to produce. Mike Ribeiro isn't as much of a liability defensively either.

If Kadri was as good as Ribeiro is today, it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is -- he isn't, and not having somebody who is cost us a lot of games when Bozak was hurt.

You won't get arguments from me there, I think Kadri's ceiling is a Mike Ribeiro comparable. He's never been interested in the 200ft game, not in junior, not in the AHL, and certainly not so far in the NHL. Yes, he has made a few decent defensive plays; the odd one. but most of the time, he's just not interested, and it shows. And when he's with Phil, another guy not terribly interested in a full 200ft game, it's a nightmare. I was impressed with Phil last season and the responsibility he was showing, but this year...not as much. Maybe with Bozak in the lineup for an extended period, we'll see Phil excel more in that area.

Kadri needs to be with Lupul and a guy like Kulemin, somebody more responsible. I just don't like the fact that this will mean Holland is stuck on the 4th line.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

It's hard to build on a 44 points in 48 games season, everyone knew Kadri was going to regress but now that it's happening suddenly we need to trade him

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kadri.

This is his first full 82 game NHL season and he's a productive offensive player on a solid playoff team half way through the schedule.

For a large portion of this season the Leafs have been without their 1st and 3rd line centres. During that stretch the coach of every opponent has been keying on Kadri.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kadri.

This is his first full 82 game NHL season and he's a productive offensive player on a solid playoff team half way through the schedule.

For a large portion of this season the Leafs have been without their 1st and 3rd line centres. During that stretch the coach of every opponent has been keying on Kadri.

Possibly they're doing that because they all know Kadri has no interest in playing a responsible 2 way game?

He believes himself to be the top centre on this team and said as much. So...maybe it's time he start showing it?

i just love the Kadri Fanclub (not directed at you personally Longshot), but first he was being held back and Wilson and Burke were destroying his development by leaving him with Eakins in the A. Now it's: He's young and only his first full season, we have to give him time. EVERY excuse has been used for this kid. Maybe it's time for the fan club to open their eyes and see past his razzle dazzle and see the player that truly is there. He's his own worst enemy!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Duchene was even worse in his 3rd season, went from 55 point rookie season, to 67, to 28 in 60 games.

It's not a wrong direction as lots of young players go in a bit of a slump when given tougher minutes, he'll adjust with time.

People also need to be reminded he's only been a centre for 86 games now. Barely a season.

I have no problem with a 2nd year player being on a 50 point pace, his potential is too much to give up on and his value is higher with us than within a trade right now, he wont be the type of guy to just drop to a 40 point player either, too skilled.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Duchene was even worse in his 3rd season, went from 55 point rookie season, to 67, to 28 in 60 games.

It's not a wrong direction as lots of young players go in a bit of a slump when given tougher minutes, he'll adjust with time.

People also need to be reminded he's only been a centre for 86 games now. Barely a season.

I have no problem with a 2nd year player being on a 50 point pace, his potential is too much to give up on and his value is higher with us than within a trade right now, he wont be the type of guy to just drop to a 40 point player either, too skilled.

Perhaps he is injured like Duchene was?

Polo*

he needs to be benched. He usually plays better when that happens...plus he deserves it

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Kadri will be fine...

My prediction is that he goes on a hot-streak the last 15 games of the season and wins everyone's heart back.

The kid's head hasn't been in the game, he's in a slump and he's generally had bad puck luck as well. Just let him play through it and learn from his mistakes. This kid is our future at center. And yes, those trade rumors about him are absolutely Pejorative Slured, please don't give them any attention. Sophomore slumps are a very common thing, the most important thing is to let the player battle through it and become better as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad