JvR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Don't expect intensity from JVR, we never really saw it. When he has it, though, the guy is just... lightning in a bottle. You could call him almost Gaborik-lite when he is on. Not as fast nor is his shot as good, but his offensive instincts and overall offensive ability are up there. If/when he catches a d-man flat footed, he just absolutely blows by them, his top speed is fantastic, but, as I said, not quite at the level of a player like Gabby.

As many other Flyers fans have said, you'll see flashes where it looks like it's finally coming together, then he has an off game and it all falls apart. I think it might really be a confidence and effort thing for him... he's so talented, that playing college hockey really probably taught him how to be lazy and get by on his skill without working hard for it. If he had gone to Juniors or straight into the AHL, it would have helped his development a ton.

But as far as his future goes, I think his ceiling is up there in the 30g-40a power forward, but I really, really doubt he ever gets close to that.

I was shiftfaced for Saturdays game, and couldn't see Sundays because I was checking out a wedding venue... so I will have to hold my opinion on Schenn until I can watch him play a few games.

Thanks for this post.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JvR has been quite underwhelming the first two games of the season.

I know it's a small sample size of games, but he's been almost anonymous on the ice at times. Didn't think he was good in the Sabres game at all. When Mike Brown, who played considerably less minutes than him, stands out a lot more than him, I'd say his performance wasn't good.

Disgruntled Observer*

Because it's only two games.

If Jvr was absolutely spectacular those first two games, would you be excited?
We all know... The answer is 'yes'.

So being tha he's been utterly invisible for two games, using the PRECISE same logic, leaf fan realists are worried.

MajorityRules*

So being tha he's been utterly invisible for two games, using the PRECISE same logic, leaf fan realists are worried.

Yes, realists use 2 games to determine a players worth. Good thing real hockey people make their decisions based off of more than just a few games.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
lupul came out flying his first few games and made himself noticeable. he had longer and harder injury to get back from.

SCHENN HAS ALREADY PUT MORE PUCKS IN THE NET THAN JVR! JVR needs to step it up.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
More involved this game. I am willing to wait to evaluate after 5 games. Give his foot time to heal and get used to line mates..

Disgruntled Observer*

Yes, realists use 2 games to determine a players worth. Good thing real hockey people make their decisions based off of more than just a few games.

We just said we're "worried". We have no determined his worth.

Just like, if jvr was spectacular the firs two games, we would be "excited".

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
If he had pulled off that move on Sulzer, people would be excited.

JVR's line had some decent pressure/chances but Miller and the Sabres D was solid

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He showed more speed than I suspected he had. At one point last night he blew by 2 Sabres on the forecheck while looking behind him and without taking any deep strides.

I'm pretty unimpressed so far overall though. Hopefully he can pick it up. It shouldn't be that hard if Kadri keeps playing the way he has so far.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I love the fact that he is really skilled and goes in front of the net and is able to plant himself there with his strength. We need a young developing power forward like him. I am not worries at all and i'm actually quite excited for the potential of JVR. Give him some time, it's a new team, new system with no real training camp in which he was injured for a portion of it (missed the exhibition game). I think JVR, is going to be a big and important piece for this team for years to come.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

LOL.

If he was great, I would be excited, yes.

He wasn't, so I am admittedly disappointed. But not worried.

Worried and disappointed aren't the same thing. Nice try though, Mr. Realist.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.

The only facts you could be in possession of are JVR's stats over the "comprehensive" sampling of two games.

Miller played as Miller typically does against the club. That's also a fact. As it pertains to JVR who had a scoring chance or two, the difference was a truly elite NHL goaltender.

When you're a "realist" representing things as they "really are" is supposed to apply in every instance where possible.

As a "realist" you're ignoring the reasonable metric by which hockey professionals inform their apprehension one way or another. Two games in which a player has to be removed for one reason or benched for another would be cause for concern. Two games into a season in which a few chances haven' materialized isn't cause for concern for the educated hockey fan. Were that the case, all players in the league who haven't scored in their first two games would allow same cause for concern, and Daniel Winnik would be regarded -- "realistically" -- as the best goal scorer in the league, ebb and flow and streaks aside.

Somewhere, the "Reallist's" analytics should leave room for reason informed by experience. And yet somehow, I come away with a sense that your kind of "realism" is HAL 9000's "realism". Not a shred of doubt, but distorted none the less.

Especially in the need to constantly define your perception/opinion as the realistic option :shakehead

MajorityRules*

Who is the "we" you are speaking for? What facts are you using to determine JVR's play is cause for worry?

LOL realist.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
it's 2 games into a shortened season where most players are currently not in game shape. add that to the fact he's learning a new system, coach and team. all this with no real training camp or exhibition games. it's pretty safe to say there's going to be an adjustment period.

if he sticks on a line with kadri it's only a matter of time before he starts putting up points. i'll wait another couple weeks before i start to get worried about anything.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have had samples, he played 9 hrs away from here last season. He is playing the JVR way, he is performing exactly the same he did prior to the trade. This is why Schenn and Him were traded in the first place.

Sit back relax and enjoy the show, you got what you paid for and you paid with something similar but different.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Did you know that JVR and Lupul are 2 different human beings?

They are both athletes though and good athletes compete, grabo competes routinely with the odd off game. JVR has had drive problems for years now. So yea I get what you are saying but do you get what I am saying? Someone has to break this one and light a fire under his ass.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
the guy is a power forward, which take longer to develop, and is only a year older than kadri while already in his past has shown offensive ability. I'm not worried, he hasn't played in 9 months. let him find his groove then evaluate

Three examples come to mind of such guys who were traded too soon (and support your point):

Neely

Bertuzzi

Leclair

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

I love trying to imagine what a conversation like this would look like in real life, outside of the internet. Imagine just two people sitting on a couch after watching the game.

Person 1: I am worried about JVR.

Person 2: I am not worried.

Person 1: You don't look at the facts! I am a realist! You should change your opinion to be the same as mine! I never said anything about his overall worth. If he were playing incredible you would obviously be excited. Therefore, since human emotion is just like math, you have no choice other than to admit to being worried. If you were just a realist who looked at the FACTS! Are oh ehf elle! RAGEeee!

Person 2: *stunned silence*

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He played 13 minutes last night, 13 minutes in Montreal. 26 minutes as a Maple Leaf total. Call me crazy, but maybe a larger sample size would serve us well in our evaluations of a 23 year old, former 2nd overall pick.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love trying to imagine what a conversation like this would look like in real life, outside of the internet. Imagine just two people sitting on a couch after watching the game.

Person 1: I am worried about JVR.

Person 2: I am not worried.

Person 1: You don't look at the facts! I am a realist! You should change your opinion to be the same as mine! I never said anything about his overall worth. If he were playing incredible you would obviously be excited. Therefore, since human emotion is just like math, you have no choice other than to admit to being worried. If you were just a realist who looked at the FACTS! Are oh ehf elle! RAGEeee!

Person 2: *stunned silence*

No friends :(

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He played 13 minutes last night, 13 minutes in Montreal. 26 minutes as a Maple Leaf total. Call me crazy, but maybe a larger sample size would serve us well in our evaluations of a 23 year old, former 2nd overall pick.

I would like to see him with grabs for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad