Jux's off-the-beaten-path Mock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With the news that the Avs are strongly considering taking a forward at #1, I thought it might be fun to do a full first round with some serious surprises and fallers and risers and stuff, just based on things I've heard.

So shouldn't be taken that seriously. :laugh:

1. Avalanche: C Nathan Mackinnon.

Avs decide to take what they see as the BPA. They can start him this year on the wing, and then trade Stastny or O'Reilly at the trade deadline and move Mackinnon to top-9 center.

2. Panthers: C Aleksandr Barkov Jr.

With Mackinnon off the board, Florida picks another guy who will be a #1C. While Barkov may not have Mackinnon's speed, shot, or explosiveness, he's big, highly intelligent, and a great playmaker. Teams with shoot-first #1C's tend to have less success than ones with playmakers.

3. Lightning: W Jonathan Drouin.

Despite Jones on the board, Yzerman can't pass up the ultra-talented playmaking winger who has accolades in the Q nobody since Crosby has earned.

4. Predators: W Valeri Nichushkin.

Shrugging off the Radulov incident as a single data point, the Preds take the young powerforward who will form a dangerous combination of size and speed with Forsberg on their future first line. Jones isn't a need with Weber and many other young D-men in the mold, and the Preds proven ability to develop defensemen in the later rounds.

5. Hurricanes: D Seth Jones.

Carolina is ecstatic to see Jones on the board. He gives the Canes a potential star #1 defenseman and potentially a top-4 guy as soon as this season starts.

6. Flames: C Sean Monahan.

The biggest piece of the Flames rebuild, Calgary takes a futures big playmaking two-way #1C who has a captain-like demeanor that will please the fans.

7. Oilers: D Darnell Nurse.

The one C that new GM Craig MacTavish fails to mention in his profession that he'll take a center is Elias Lindholm. That combined with a strong need for a #2 left-handed defensive defenseman and MacTavish's recent high praise of Nurse, they grab him at #7.

8. Sabres: D Rasmus Ristolainen.

Buffalo's D is looking pretty weak these days, with Myers' regression and the failure of some of their prospects to take steps forward. They have young C's in the system who are coming along nicely, so they take the big, mean defenseman who is very close to NHL-ready.

9. Devils: C Elias Lindholm.

Jersey needs help up front in a bad way. They get a smallish but talented center who is responsible in his own end and is a countryman of Adam Larsson to add to their forward corps.

10. Stars: C Max Domi.

With a big two-way guy in Jamie Benn as their #1C, they can take a smaller center who's insanely talented in the offensive zone, but couldn't give a **** about the defensive zone.

11. Flyers: D Shea Theodore.

I think Theodore will have a meteoric rise a la Derrick Pouliot, and the Flyers will be the lucky team that makes it. Theodore is a phenomenal offensive defenseman with great speed and size whose style makes me think of Brent Burns (as a defenseman, you tools :laugh:). Still very young for his draft class and has a lot of filling out to do.

12. Coyotes: C Bo Horvat.

Horvat fits Phoenix's MO perfectly, with the bonus of great playmaking ability and shooting, as well as a physical edge. While they wish someone with more offensive upside were there, Horvat is the BPA.

13. Jets: C Curtiz Lazar.

Lazar's lack of production at the beginning of the year rocketed him down draft lists, but he picked up his goalscoring as the year progressed and continued his great defensive and physical play. Combine that with his great skating and he's a very low-risk prospect.

14. Blue Jackets: C Alex Wennberg.

Big lanky playmaker gets sapped up by Jarmo, who sees him as a versitile two-way threat that can play any forward position and in any game situation. Those guys are very valuable to an astute guys like Kekalainen.

15. Islanders: D Ian McCoshen.

The Isles talented forward corps finally put it together this season, with reinforcements still yet to come from the likes of Strome, Nelson, and Nino. Their defense needs a boost and it comes in the form of the smart, big, smooth-skating American two-way D. McCoshen's style is reminiscent of a guy they see very often: Ryan McDonagh.

16. Sabres (via Wild): W Adam Erne.

Erne may not have the highest upside, but he's got the size and skating that give him a very high floor. The Sabres are rumored to like the big American winger, whose already Grigorenko's teammate in junior.

17. Senators: W Anthony Mantha.

Say what you say about his work ethic or whatever, this kid can flat out score. He puts up shots at a better rate than guys like Mackinnon and Drouin and could end up a James Neal type. High upside.

18. Red Wings: D Ryan Pulock.

BPA for the Wings, who have talent at all positions. Pulock has a lazar shot and is captain material.

19. Blue Jackets (via Rangers): W Hunter Shinkaruk.

Reportedly Shinkaruk had some very bad interviews, but Jarmo doesn't care, just like he didn't care with the David Perron pick, who's an eerily similar player. High offensive upside with great skating and creativity.

20. Sharks: W Morgan Klimchuk.

Klimchuk is a speedy, creative sniper who carried the load on a bad Pats team. Knows the value of hard work, which is a quality on which the Sharks place great importance.

21. Maple Leafs: D Nikita Zadorov.

Leafs need a shutdown defenseman and Zadorov fits the bill perfectly. Size, skating, shutdown ability.

22. Flames (via Blues): D Josh Morrissey.

Another guy with high character and high upside. A real boom-bust type.

23. Capitals: C Frederik Gauthier.

Gauthier doesn't have really any flaws other then lack of great upside. Washington's still in search of a big two-way #2C, and they could get it in Gauthier. He played very hard minutes in the CHL and did very well with them. Jonathan Drouin specifically mentioned Gauthier as someone who's very hard to play against.

24. Canucks: W Kerby Rychel.

Gillis specifically mentioned wanting to get younger and bigger and tougher, so look no further than Rychel, who plays a powerforward's game. He needs a serious playmaker to be an effective scorer, but he's quite the finisher.

25. Canadiens: D Samuel Morin.

I honestly dunno but Habs fans seem to be obsessed with big defensive defensemen so here.

26. Ducks: W Ryan Hartman.

They love guys with Harts.

27. Blue Jackets (via Kings): W Andre Burakovsky.

High upside, like a Sasha Semin type of player. Great speed and playmaking from the wings, but needs to learn how to translate that into production.

28. Flames (via Penguins): Valentin Zykov.

Guy drives the net and backchecks well. Curious to see how much he can improve on the numbers he put up as a Q rookie.

29. Blackhawks: Nic Petan.

With a big two-way C like Toews, they can afford for their #2C to be smaller and less defensively inclined. Small playmaker with elusive skating.

30. Stars (via Bruins): Madison Bowey.

Can't really go wrong with a D from Kelowna. Smooth skater with great offensive upside and played a great U18.

Wow, I got really lazy at the end. But the first half was fun.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'll take Zadorov if he falls to 21 even though we're neck deep in that position in the minors.

I know you really like Klimchuk and called it that you'd select him with San Jose's 1st. That's about where he can go. If he doesn't, he's my first choice for Toronto followed by Lehkonen.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
11. Flyers: D Shea Theodore.

I think Theodore will have a meteoric rise a la Derrick Pouliot, and the Flyers will be the lucky team that makes it. Theodore is a phenomenal offensive defenseman with great speed and size whose style makes me think of Brent Burns (as a defenseman, you tools :laugh:). Still very young for his draft class and has a lot of filling out to do.

Burns has about 3 inches and 60 pounds on Shea Theodore. I mean, he might be able to grow a little bit, but size/physicality is not really a part of Theodore's game. He might very well rise, but he's probably closer to a Mike Green-type player than a Brent Burns.

24. Canucks: W Kerby Rychel.

Gillis specifically mentioned wanting to get younger and bigger and tougher, so look no further than Rychel, who plays a powerforward's game. He needs a serious playmaker to be an effective scorer, but he's quite the finisher.

Don't hate this pick, but I like Zykov more. Zykov is simply the better player, and probably has more potential as well.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Burns has about 3 inches and 60 pounds on Shea Theodore. I mean, he might be able to grow a little bit, but size/physicality is not really a part of Theodore's game. He might very well rise, but he's probably closer to a Mike Green-type player than a Brent Burns.

Fine, Burns without the physicality. :laugh: But the way Theodore joins the rush, and his wrist shot scream Brent Burns to me.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Awesome mock, the top 5 could easily unfold like that. Jones isn't a pressing need for Florida, Tampa and especially Nashville...but Carolina couldn't pass he's clearly BPA there. Definitely agree with Monahan and Nurse at 6 and 7...love Zadorov to the Leafs and I could see him being one of those droppers.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Stars are trying to move Benn back to wing, and if last season was any indication, he's not much of a two-way player anymore (although I'm fairly certain he'll get back to that next season). I'd hope for Wennberg at 10 in that case.

I'd be beyond pissed if Lindholm goes at 9.

hogtownhabsfan*

I think the Habs would take Burakowsky or Zykov over Morin.

Great mock though, intriguing results with good explanations.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like Nurse if Monahan is off the board, prefer Lindholm.

Also you're right about MacT being pretty silent on Lindholm, but our head scout Stu MacGregor has been fairly vocal about Lindholm on radio interviews and what not.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
A bit of a reach for the Islanders. I would prefer pulock if they do go defense. However, other than that. Cool mock, I like the different take on it.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Unless someone like Ristolainen or Nurse falls I cannot see any D being worth the Islanders pick. They drafted all D last year for crying out loud and have a number of strong players from previous drafts like Donovan, Mayfield, and Pedan. Strome, Nino, and Nelson are their only F's in the system who profile as top six guys. Even though the Islanders offense improved their players are very inconsistent and cannot be counted on to be at the same level or better next year. The Islanders need scoring plain and simple

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Unless someone like Ristolainen or Nurse falls I cannot see any D being worth the Islanders pick. They drafted all D last year for crying out loud and have a number of strong players from previous drafts like Donovan, Mayfield, and Pedan. Strome, Nino, and Nelson are their only F's in the system who profile as top six guys. Even though the Islanders offense improved their players are very inconsistent and cannot be counted on to be at the same level or better next year. The Islanders need scoring plain and simple

Eh, I was trying to go for unorthodox picks, and McCoshen is a guy I'm really, really high on, and the Isles seemed like a good fit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know we're not taking this seriously...I guess, but I just can't see teams 17-27 passing on Zykov. Ducks might be impressed with Hartman, but they can't pass on a talent like Zykov. No idea what he's doing so low.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know we're not taking this seriously...I guess, but I just can't see teams 17-27 passing on Zykov. Ducks might be impressed with Hartman, but they can't pass on a talent like Zykov. No idea what he's doing so low.

Sorry, I couldn't pass up on the 'Hart' joke, in reference to both his "intangibles" and Perry. :laugh:

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Eh, I was trying to go for unorthodox picks, and McCoshen is a guy I'm really, really high on, and the Isles seemed like a good fit.

I understand you are high on him but it is a terrible fit because they do not need another Defenseman unless someone too good to pass up falls and no good scorer is available and I do not think McCoshen is that level of player plus you have Mantha going 2 picks later who is a better fit. I am also tired of all the mock drafts that are projecting the Islanders are taking a Defenseman because their D struggled against the top teams when 1) the Islanders pipeline is flooded with D-men and 2) whoever is drafted is not going to help this year anyway. If the Islanders have a need on D it needs to be addressed through free agency or trading for an established player not another high draft pick

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Just gonna mention that I called 6 of the top 8 here. Pretty decent if I do say so myself. ;)

In particular I'm impressed with your predictions for Florida and Buffalo.

I would have thought Florida takes Jones for sure, while they have strong defense prospects I don't see a potential franchise type or true #1 in there...in my very humble opinion I see Jones as a safer pick because of his combination of skating and size, while Barkov doesn't possess outstanding skating he has size and smarts, so he's a safe pick too and I do feel he was getting under-rated around here.

As for Buffalo at 8, I felt they would take one of Lindholm or Nichushkin...and many draft lists were hinting at Risto dropping so I didn't expect him to go at 8, but I felt he wouldn't get past the Stars or Flyers at 10/11.

Perhaps it is your fault that I was quite dissapointed for the Leafs to not get Zadorov. I was really starting to have a faint hope that Zadorov would drop to us, and that we wouldn't pass on him as our head scout lives in London (at least that was said when we took Kadri in 09)....if Zadorov and Risto both reach their potential, Buddalo could have the league's top shutdown pairing, with offense from both as well. No complaints that we took Gauthier, considering who was on board...but Zadorov was one of my main wants.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
i'm not even sure who my Oilers would have picked 2nd overall, we need still a big center like Barkov and a potential #1 d-man in Jones, so I can just imagine how hard of a choice it must have been for the Panthers to choose between Jones and Barkov.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Looking back at this, man did I ever get close.

25 of the guys I had in the first went in the first, the exceptions being Petan, Zykov, McCoshen, Erne, and Bowey, and Bowey and Petan I had 29 and 30 so very borderline.

I called picks 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 14. I called Shinkaruk falling (I had him at 19, he went at 24). I called Zadorov falling (I had him at 21, he went at 16). I called Klimchuk going in the late first.

I had Mantha at 17, he went 20. I had Horvat 13, he went 9. I had Domi 10, he went 12. I had Lazar 13, he went 17. I had Pulock 18, he went 16. I had Gauthier 23, he went 21. I had Rychel 24, he went 19. I had Burakovsky 27, he went 23. I had Hartman 26, he went 30.

It's funny that my "off the beaten path" mock was so much closer to the real thing than my super serious one. Goes to show you just how wrong HF usually is when it comes to GMs. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad