Value of: Justin Faulk to the Penguins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Karlsson deal ends up not working out, the Penguins will still need to add an offensive threat from their blue line and I think Faulk can make some sense. He's 3rd in the NHL in 5v5 goals and 4th in the NHL in 5v5 points among defensemen in the last 2 years, so he'd be adding a significant offensive threat from the blue line.

I was wondering what the Penguins would have to add on top of Petry to pull off Faulk. Faulk is definitely more valuable, but I'm honestly struggling to guess what his value would be right now.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blues are not trading Faulk for an Older Defenseman unless there is a severe overpayment coming back.

You can have Krug for nothing tho.

Are the Blues not rebuilding/retooling? It's bizarre to say no to selling high on Faulk for futures if the Blues are actually trying to build for the future.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Are the Blues not rebuilding/retooling? It's bizarre to say no to selling high on Faulk for futures if the Blues are actually trying to build for the future.
Blues are re-tooling, but that's very different than rebuilding.

They just acquired Hayes, it's pretty clear they intend to try and compete, at the very least see how the season goes to the TDL.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It doesn’t seem that management is really wanting to make major moves. Seems like they’re working around the edges. And certainly doesn’t seem like they’re willing to move Faulk. I’d imagine the plus on top of Petry would have to be pretty significant. I don’t think we’d be willing to move faulk with an older defenseman being the primary piece coming back.

Overall I just don’t really see a fit here between the Pens and Blues.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blues are re-tooling, but that's very different than rebuilding.

They just acquired Hayes, it's pretty clear they intend to try and compete, at the very least see how the season goes to the TDL.
It doesn’t seem that management is really wanting to make major moves. Seems like they’re working around the edges. And certainly doesn’t seem like they’re willing to move Faulk. I’d imagine the plus on top of Petry would have to be pretty significant. I don’t think we’d be willing to move faulk with an older defenseman being the timers pride coming back.

Overall I just don’t really see a fit here between the Pens and Blues.

Ah that makes sense, gotcha. I was thinking that the Blues were retooling so something like Petry and futures for Faulk could make sense. If they're still trying to compete, then yeah I don't think it makes sense.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm late to the response. Blues are retooling in the similarities they retooled in 2017-2019 when they picked up Schenn and RoR (same age range as Schwartz and Tarasenko) and Looking for players that fit into the age group of Thomas and Kyrou give or take a year or two not looking for just picks and prospects to help them 3-4 years from now. That's why they were heavy on Sanheim who has just turned 27.

Ownership doesn't want a long rebuild and would very much prefer being back in the playoffs as early as next year. Whether that's the correct direction we'll have to wait and find out.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If the Blues were selling off Faulk for futures, returning Petry also makes no sense unless you see that as a cap-exchange part of the deal. In which case, "what would the Penguins have to add" would be the entire value of Justin Faulk. If it's unclear what his value might be on the market, figure out what his value would be to the Penguins and start there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Blues were selling off Faulk for futures, returning Petry also makes no sense unless you see that as a cap-exchange part of the deal. In which case, "what would the Penguins have to add" would be the entire value of Justin Faulk. If it's unclear what his value might be on the market, figure out what his value would be to the Penguins and start there.

Yes that was my interpretation of the trade. It's futures for Faulk and then Petry being included for cap reasons.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If the Karlsson deal ends up not working out, the Penguins will still need to add an offensive threat from their blue line and I think Faulk can make some sense. He's 3rd in the NHL in 5v5 goals and 4th in the NHL in 5v5 points among defensemen in the last 2 years, so he'd be adding a significant offensive threat from the blue line.

I was wondering what the Penguins would have to add on top of Petry to pull off Faulk. Faulk is definitely more valuable, but I'm honestly struggling to guess what his value would be right now.

If EK doesn't pan out and your purpose is to acquire a Dman who acquires points and has a more offensive edge (and less of a cap hit than EK), your "poor man's Cobra" is Krug, not Faulk.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If EK doesn't pan out and your purpose is to acquire a Dman who acquires points and has a more offensive edge (and less of a cap hit than EK), your "poor man's Cobra" is Krug, not Faulk.

If I were the Penguins, I'd prefer Faulk because he's just a better player and can fill that offensive role, but Krug would come much cheaper.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

What's in it for the Blues? This should be a mandatory question on this forum. If you propose a trade, you need to at least try to come up with a reason for the other team to accept it. You list all the reasons Faulk is better and why Pittsburgh would want that upgrade. Why does St. Louis want that downgrade?

If we are rebuilding we don't want the older, worse D man unless you value him as a pure cap dump. He has no value to a rebuilding team as anything but that. If we are retooling, we don't want the older worse D man whose contract would end right when a retool would be complete. So again, he wouldn't have any value. If we are competing, we don't want the older worse D man period.

So the question isn't what would you have to add to Petry. The question is, if you are rebuilding/retooling, then what is the value of Faulk in futures and could you take Petry to make cap work? The answer to that would be a near-ready defensive prospect with top pair or #3D upside plus more. I am not familiar with Pittsburghs pipeline, but I don't think you have that prospect. But that is the only way trading Faulk makes sense for the Blues as a future play. We get worse in the very short term to get younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad