Confirmed with Link: Justin Braun new contract 2x$1.8AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don’t aspire for my favorite team to be the Islanders. And Trotz is not a coach for which I salivate. Good motivator, decent Xs and Os, but backwards in his own ways. Like most NHL caliber coaches. He’s fine. There’s just no intrinsic specialness.

Why does everything go back to the Islanders and Trotz? It’s like HFBoards Godwin’s Law. That team may overachieve, but they’re not a contender either and will likely remain as such.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nah. Braun sucks and we have better options he’ll steal icetime from. Our horrible coach loves him.

This was yet another mistake.
Has he really declined that much? I figured he's still a dependable 3rd pairing guy. That's short term and not a crippling cap hit by any stretch.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Has he really declined that much? I figured he's still a dependable 3rd pairing guy. That's short term and not a crippling cap hit by any stretch.

He was good last season. Better than he was the year prior by all metrics. I suspect he'll be fine for 20-21 then a liability in 21-22 that is a scratch more often than not with York and Zamula on the way.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He had a good season. He basically was everything we had hoped for and pretty much exactly the player Sharks fans told us we would get.

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was passable to start the year while getting hard-carried in the top 4 by Sanheim and the top forwards, but as soon as he was placed on the 3rd pair he got utterly destroyed. He was a big problem towards the end of the year and absolutely horrible in the playoffs.

We have no need for a defensemen that needs to be carried and sinks when he's on the 3rd pair... especially when that's his expected role next year. If he had been signed to be the #7 then that'd be different, but AV won't use him like that. Not to mention we have other defensemen who are waiting for an NHL spot. This is just a bad signing.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t aspire for my favorite team to be the Islanders. And Trotz is not a coach for which I salivate. Good motivator, decent Xs and Os, but backwards in his own ways. Like most NHL caliber coaches. He’s fine. There’s just no intrinsic specialness.

Why does everything go back to the Islanders and Trotz? It’s like HFBoards Godwin’s Law. That team may overachieve, but they’re not a contender either and will likely remain as such.

He took a team that was last in big categories to first in one offseason. His system is relentless and he out coaches most coaches. A team overachieving is the definition of a good coach. If he had the talent of the flyers they wouldnt be stuck at 2nd or 3rd round. Even with the caps they had a poorly constructed team with their top player being a wing and their D not so great. They still needed 3 centers to be a cup team. He’s a good coach that out coaches our coach and would have been worth hiring as soon as he was let go.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He took a team that was last in big categories to first in one offseason. His system is relentless and he out coaches most coaches. A team overachieving is the definition of a good coach. If he had the talent of the flyers they wouldnt be stuck at 2nd or 3rd round. Even with the caps they had a poorly constructed team with their top player being a wing and their D not so great. They still needed 3 centers to be a cup team. He’s a good coach that out coaches our coach and would have been worth hiring as soon as he was let go.

Until Trotz finally won a Cup in Washington, in his 4th season with a more talented team than AV ever got to play with, he had a reputation as a playoff choker.

For example, the Caps team the year before he won got knocked out in the 2nd round for the third straight year:
Ovechkin (31), Backstrom (29), Oshie (30), Johansson (26), Kuznetsov (24), J Williams (35), Eller (27), Beagle (31), Burakovsky (21), Wilson (22), Winnik (31), Connolly (24)
Carlson (27), Niskanen (30), Shattenkirk (28), Alzner (28), Orlov (25), Orpik (36), Schmidt (25)

It was not just a very talented, deep team, but most of the team was between 25-30, so few over the hill veterans and inexperienced kids - a very easy team to coach.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The 2017-18 Caps were much closer in talent to the current Lightning than to the Flyers.

They had Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov playing 25 minutes a night. And a 2C who scored 32 points.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Justin braun looked like a hound dog that wanted to be put out of his mind by the end of the playoffs. How have the flyers gone from luke schenn to amac to Nick schultz to brandon manning to braun. Its like a law that the flyers will forever employ a dman that i just want to stab.

It's like the forwards, it takes time to develop enough young defensemen so you don't have to employ limited players at the bottom of the roster.
Look at the dreck available in FA at inflated salaries, at least we're not paying $3-4M a year for defensemen who'll make you grimace on a regular basis.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

what coach do you like. not trying to be a pain. but curious.

Reactions: Jtown

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's like the forwards, it takes time to develop enough young defensemen so you don't have to employ limited players at the bottom of the roster.
Look at the dreck available in FA at inflated salaries, at least we're not paying $3-4M a year for defensemen who'll make you grimace on a regular basis.

Imagine being that cowardly. That would be terrib ...

Oh.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Justin braun looked like a hound dog that wanted to be put out of his mind by the end of the playoffs. How have the flyers gone from luke schenn to amac to Nick schultz to brandon manning to braun. Its like a law that the flyers will forever employ a dman that i just want to stab.

Lets make that chain longer and add Kubina in there :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad