Prospect Info: June 2024 - Detroit prospect voting #8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is Detroit's #8 prospect?

• RW - Dmitri Buchelnikov

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • C - Amadeus Lombardi

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • W - Cross Hanas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LW - Elmer Söderblom

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • LD - William Wallinder

Votes: 49 58.3%
  • D - Shai Buium

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • RD - Andrew Gibson

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Albert Johansson will win the 7th round.

1. C Nate Danielson - 39.8% (1st round, 9th overall, 2023)
2. RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - 46.0% (1st round, 17th overall, 2023)
3. G Sebastian Cossa - 49.0% (15th overall, 1st round 2021 draft)
4. C Marco Kasper - 87.1% (8th overall, 1st round 2022 draft)
5. RW Carter Mazur - 40.7% (70th overall, 3rd round 2021 draft)
6. G Trey Augustine - 75.3% (41st overall, 2nd round 2023 draft)
7. D Albert Johansson - 45.7% (2nd round, 60th overall, 2019)

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Wallinder is likely the best of the group, but I suspect his value will be as trade bait, so I went with Elmer as the one most likely to have an impact on the wings, but honestly, any of the aside from Hanas are as about as likely to have a similar impact to the wings (I think they all, except Hanas, make NHL games at some point). I also would not ignore Finnie either...I think is will be the late round surprise SY was hoping for.

Reactions: lilidk

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If the draft is in like a month is there much of a reason to do 11th best or worse since we should have like 2-3 draft picks that will be in the top 20?

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Christien

May 1, 2010
Wallinder is probably the safest bet of the bunch, but I voted Lombardi on this one cause I think he's gonna make it as a top 9C and wanted to show him some love. I think Wallinder tops out at a #4D, but think it's more likely he ends up a #5.

I think it's interesting with Wallinder because he was pretty young for his draft class, and his D+1 season was pretty uneventful. His years in Rogle were really, really good, and he played big minutes, so he was able to bounce back and prove a lot. TD;DR - Wallinder is a really raw prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If the draft is in like a month is there much of a reason to do 11th best or worse since we should have like 2-3 draft picks that will be in the top 20?

Yes. We need a baseline with results to argue about over the dog days of summer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wallinder was really just a guy this year, nothing really stood out about him which has kinda cooled me on him. Last year he would've probably been higher on this list. After the year he had, I might prefer Gibson. To get to the next level hes at least got the shot to be a mean, good skating, defensive dman... If Wallinder isnt a PP guy, hes Jakub Kindl.

Hopefully I'm wrong

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wallinder was really just a guy this year, nothing really stood out about him which has kinda cooled me on him. Last year he would've probably been higher on this list. After the year he had, I might prefer Gibson. To get to the next level hes at least got the shot to be a mean, good skating, defensive dman... If Wallinder isnt a PP guy, hes Jakub Kindl.

Hopefully I'm wrong

next season is really the make/break for him. The path should be cleared to get big minutes in GR.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Hopefully I'm wrong
Kindl was a bad skater, Wallinder is a great skater.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kindl was a bad skater, Wallinder is a great skater.
Not sure if youre mixing him up with someone but Kindl was a really good skater. He was charmin soft and a bonehead, but he could skate.

Outside of that, that wasnt really my point. Kindl was just a guy. He didnt put up points, he wasnt a defensive stud, he wasnt physical... Wallinder was the same way this year, even if hes just a guy who can skate, thats not enough for me to feel great about him.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Hopefully I'm wrong
I’d probably go Buium before Gibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Reactions: Realgud

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
At this point the development guys listed aren't quite showing enough just yet, so I went with Wallinder who looks really close to becoming an NHL regular.

Reactions: Crunchy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not sure if youre mixing him up with someone but Kindl was a really good skater. He was charmin soft and a bonehead, but he could skate.

Outside of that, that wasnt really my point. Kindl was just a guy. He didnt put up points, he wasnt a defensive stud, he wasnt physical... Wallinder was the same way this year, even if hes just a guy who can skate, thats not enough for me to feel great about him.
Kindl defensively is a living nightmare. First, his skating is very weak. As we saw countless amounts of times this year, Jakub was constantly caught flat-footed when skating backwards.

Honestly surprised how many times I saw ”good skater” pop up as a scouting report on him, because I always felt it was a limiting factor for him. Nevertheless, for Wallinder it’s a true standout trait. Having that as a foundation gives him plenty of upside once he irons out the finer defensive details, although I do feel he’s underrated defensively at this point. He’s also got the requisite skill to man a powerplay down the line. If you’re looking for the guy in our pipeline who could pop off at 26-27 or something, Wally’s a solid bet.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
being caught flatfooted seems more like kindl is getting caught being lazy and not paying attention, not that his skating is bad but maybe I'm misunderstanding what the writer is saying.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
being caught flatfooted seems more like kindl is getting caught being lazy and not paying attention, not that his skating is bad but maybe I'm misunderstanding what the writer is saying.
I think he's just a slow thinker. Getting caught flat footed usually means you aren't reading the play correctly or fast enough. I remember his bad decisions and 10 ply play, I don't remember him being a bad skater. One of the reasons why he got picked in the first round was because of his skating..... but in the forward direction.

Skating doesn't mean much when you have really low hockey IQ though.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I was thinking to myself that Wallinder didn't look very good in the playoff game I was watching... right before he got 2 points. So, if that was one of his best games on paper, I'm not super confident about him.

Buchelnikov still looks to have the face and frame of an 11 year old. So its hard for me to vote for him in a league I don't watch or know much about.

Went with Soderblom. He didn't have the step forward this season he needed, but he's close to NHL level now and has some real nice qualities, so hopefully he continues a slow development like we know a lot of giant humans do

The other guys listed aren't far behind either

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Lots of guys with some interesting traits and this point, but all have warts too. Except maybe Gibson? Biggest issue I can see with Gibson is that he hasn't gone pro yet, so he's more of an unknown quantity than most of these other guys. I'm still not aware of this kid's flaws... whatever they are I'm sure they'll show up as a pro, but right now, as far as I know, he's another Seider lol. I'm gonna cross my fingers, do a safety squint, and vote for him.

:sueme:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad