JR on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Hasn't JR been saying for years guys are overpaid. What i got out of his interview is this. (remember this is my opinion) If Goodenow gets a decent offer from the owner but still doesn't like but it's better than previous offers he should put it to a players vote.

After all the last offer the owners make will be the ground rules for a CBA if an impasse is called. So the players mine as well vote on it now. Because they'll have to decide to play under it or strike. So why not let them decide now rather than after an impasse is called.

SENSible1*

JWI19 said:
Hasn't JR been saying for years guys are overpaid. What i got out of his interview is this. (remember this is my opinion) If Goodenow gets a decent offer from the owner but still doesn't like but it's better than previous offers he should put it to a players vote.

After all the last offer the owners make will be the ground rules for a CBA if an impasse is called. So the players mine as well vote on it now. Because they'll have to decide to play under it or strike. So why not let them decide now rather than after an impasse is called.

I took it as a request for the owners to put a sweeter version of a cap on the table so that the players could force Bob into holding a vote on it.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Smail said:
Isn't a cap that's fixed and not linked with revenues a bad deal for the players? If the league somehow increases its revenues, all the extra money would go to the owners?

It makes perfect sense. If the cap isn't tied to revenues, they can turn around and say that they made all these consessions by accepting a cap, salary rollback, etc. and then turn it to the owners to lower ticket prices. Now all of a sudden they're the good guys and are looking out for Joe fan. If the cap is linked to revenue, there's no way they want ticket prices to drop. Afterall, that's the very same revenue that their salaries are linked to.

-Edit-
OK, I just realized there's already an entire thread about this already.

Last edited:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
gobuds said:
JR will retract the statment soon, unless he already has. Bet on it- despite being shown on live TV- he was taken out of context!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but in case you arn't, Roenick won't retract his statement, I'd put money on it.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
I say we get Brian McCabe a few glasses of wine to see what would come out of his muzzle.

'Never, ever,ever,ever,ever for the rest of my carrer, and my grandkids carrers, and...'

:joker:

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
gobuds said:
JR will retract the statment soon, unless he already has. Bet on it- despite being shown on live TV- he was taken out of context!
He's been saying this kind of stuff all year. No one can get JR to stop talking, the guy was still talking after he had his jaw wired shut. I bet his wife can't stop him.

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I, too saw the interview. Also saw one with Melrose. Melrose didn't have good things to say about either side. In essense, he said he was dissapointed in both sides for being so far apart for so long. He went on the talk about this season being over (essentially) and mentioned replacement players next year and a little tidbit about NHLPA players crossing the lines to play if it comes to that. "Sakic's and Jagr's aren't affected as much as the 3 or 4 hunderd K guy in desperate need of a paycheck."

All I know for sure, is this strike sucks!!

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Just meet in the middle already!! There's plenty of money for the NHL and the Players to keep affording giant houses, fast cars and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad