Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

Snow must go. :biglaugh:

If Pulock had done this and Capuano wanted to do some smart and emulate Arbour, Ryan would likely get sent home and told to return hours before the others for that 1-on-1 skate practice special or something; I agree. The "punishment" would be level to where Snow sees the player fitting, and a guy with only an outside chance of making the team who can't even get to camp on time is a guy who could stand to grow a little more and learn from a human mistake how to be reliable next time, as it's also a necessary component to being a good, dependable teammate.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I want to preface this by saying that I like Ho Sang and I believe all of his off the ice troubles have been largely overblown. However, this just bugs the hell out of me.

19 years old is not an excuse for being late. He can't wake his dumbass self up on time and get to his first NHL training camp on time where he'll play with one of the best players in the entire world?

I don't know, it's one of my biggest pet peeves in life, so maybe I'm just being a jerk. But lateness is a sign of a lack of motivation & in this case, respect for his teamates & the coaching staff.

I have no problem with the punishment at all.

It shows a lack of responsibility, immaturity, a poor set of priorities, etc. He's acting like many normal 19 years old would--the problem is that there's no place for that in the NHL.

onesinceforty

Jun 24, 2006
We all like Mike Peca.

But what really soured me on him was an interview he gave, as our captain, and he said it certainly wasn't his job to babysit or help other professional hockey players prepare for a game because he had to focus on getting himself ready..

And I thought, no, Mike, that WAS exactly your job.. to see if anybody needed anything.. or to see what you could do.. you're the captain.. lead.. and be there for the stupid stuff.. that was precisely your role and even your RESPONSIBILITY.

Ho-Sang failed himself and the organization today.. cutting him sent the proper message to JHS and the other prospects.. this isn't the time or place to be screwing around..

But I'm also disappointed in the other people who were grouped with JHS who didn't have his back.. either our prospects REALLY were so focused on themselves that they didn't notice someone (in a relatively small group) was missing from breakfast or the lobby waiting for the charter or whatever -- or they DID notice Ho-Sang's absence and chose not to get involved...

Yep. Personal responsibility. Got it. Josh Ho-Sang brought it on himself. Agreed.

But at the same time I just kind of wish that someone, anyone, was enough of a team-first kind of person and player to have had his back this morning..

Those are really good points. For some reason, did they let him hang himself. My buddies would have been beating my door down.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We all like Mike Peca.

But what really soured me on him was an interview he gave, as our captain, and he said it certainly wasn't his job to babysit or help other professional hockey players prepare for a game because he had to focus on getting himself ready..

And I thought, no, Mike, that WAS exactly your job.. to see if anybody needed anything.. or to see what you could do.. you're the captain.. lead.. and be there for the stupid stuff.. that was precisely your role and even your RESPONSIBILITY.

Ho-Sang failed himself and the organization today.. cutting him sent the proper message to JHS and the other prospects.. this isn't the time or place to be screwing around..0

But I'm also disappointed in the other people who were grouped with JHS who didn't have his back.. either our prospects REALLY were so focused on themselves that they didn't notice someone (in a relatively small group) was missing from breakfast or the lobby waiting for the charter or whatever -- or they DID notice Ho-Sang's absence and chose not to get involved...

Yep. Personal responsibility. Got it. Josh Ho-Sang brought it on himself. Agreed.

But at the same time I just kind of wish that someone, anyone, was enough of a team-first kind of person and player to have had his back this morning..

wow, I missed this post. It is dead on. I have had a gnawing feeling that the locker room lacks leadership, voiced it several times which elicites all sorts of excuse making, insults, etc. No matter who we think are the leaders of the club behind closed doors I see a problem there. Imo, best addition for this club would be a solid veteran leader who solidifies what coaching can not.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
wow, I missed this post. It is dead on. I have had a gnawing feeling that the locker room lacks leadership, voiced it several times which elicites all sorts of excuse making, insults, etc. No matter who we think are the leaders of the club behind closed doors I see a problem there. Imo, best addition for this club would be a solid veteran leader who solidifies what coaching can not.

Leadership is not a problem with this team. Tavares Okposo Hamonic BOYCHUCK Leddy all have houses and apartments of their own. I doubt Tavares is thinking " let me stop by the Mariot on my way to training camp to make sure all the prospects are ready for the NHL season that none of them will most likely play in this year".

Has nothing to do with leadership. I agree if he had a roommate that it would have been nice to maybe give Josh a heads up. We don't know if that didn't happen. But at the end of the day this is your dream and its a privledge. You need to be more responsible. There is no excuses especially For Ho- Sang who knows that there is a white hot light pointing at him 24/7 waiting for him to make a move. He should have been camped outside of the rink with his skates on in a sleeping bag ready to get to work.

I have so much respect for the way Garth handled it. He could have easily kept it quiets and maybe bag skated him but instead he sent the kid a message by giving him Tough love and treating him like a Man and holding him accountable like a man is. Garth knew that there would be a bunch of people coming out blastig him" see this is why you shouldn't have picks him and it was a waste of a first".

So what you want about Garth but he's running this team with certain Standards. I like it.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
A few things-

1) A few people have mentioned that if this were another player it wouldn't have gone down like this. They're correct. And for good reason. Take a guy like Pulock. He has built up a certain amount of 'credit' in the organization, being a professional, showing maturity and discipline, being a model teammate. If he were late, you know there would be a darn good reason, and even if there weren't, the reaction would be different given his position in the organization. As it should be. People think life should be fair and everyone should be treated the same. BOLLOCKS. You treat people how they deserve to be treated. Ho-Sang has a negative balance when it comes to maturity and behavior and so when you see immaturity and behavior issues, you deal with it in a manner that's commensurate with his standing. In this case - very harshly.

2)People have postulated that other rookies let Ho-Sang down...we have no idea whether thats true or not. Maybe he got 10 phone calls but slept through them. Maybe he had a friend pounding on the door but ignored it. We don't know. It's not their responsibility to BABYSIT him. Nor should they. But to speculate either way about it is just spitting in the wind. We don't know how this all went down.

3) I'm developing a mancrush on Garth...Islanders starting to act like a legitimate organization for the first time in like 30 years. It's a wonderful thing to see...

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Leadership is not a problem with this team. Tavares Okposo Hamonic BOYCHUCK Leddy all have houses and apartments of their own. I doubt Tavares is thinking " let me stop by the Mariot on my way to training camp to make sure all the prospects are ready for the NHL season that none of them will most likely play in this year".

I was referring mostly to the other prospects who I'm sure were all staying at the same place.. These guys are supposed to be teammates..

I didn't expect John Tavares to drive to the hotel (or wherever) and do a head count..

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/834118

Joshua Ho-Sang's OHL general manager says the prospect is shaken after the New York Islanders sent him back to the Niagara IceDogs for showing up late on his first day of NHL training camp.

"He is devastated. He is very upset and humbled by the whole thing. Embarrassed by it," IceDogs GM and head coach Marty Williamson told DJ Brooks of Bullet News Niagara.

"He is a good kid. I feel for Josh. He has to learn there are consequences for these types of actions. I think in the big picture, he will be a better man for it."

Ho-Sang was sent back to the OHL club Friday, ending the 19-year-old forward's bid to crack the Islanders roster out of the NHL camp.

"(Islanders GM) Garth Snow and (director of player development) Eric Cairns both gave me a call and let me know (Ho-Sang) slept in this morning and was being sent home,†Williamson said.

Ho-Sang impressed the Islanders with commendable behavior in rookie camp, but Williamson acknowledged his young star's history can work against him.

"The bottom line is he didn't show up on time and Josh has a track record," the IceDogs GM and head coach said.

"He has to be accountable for those kind of things. Everything else was exemplary. He did everything else well. He made a mistake and he has put himself in a position where he can't make mistakes."

Williamson shed light on the aforementioned track record.

"When you make mistakes a long time ago, they kind of linger with you. I think Josh has made a lot of strides in the right direction. He has honestly worked on it. He is not perfect. He has some habits he needs to work on. He stays up too late playing video games and stuff like that. He sleeps through things and gets himself exhausted."

Niagara's head coach said this isn't a matter of hockey ability.

"He is not being sent home because he can't skate or he can't play the game. He is great. He is being sent home for something he can control 100 per cent."

Ho-Sang scored 17 goals and added 64 assists in 60 games split between the OHL's Windsor Spitfires and the IceDogs last season.

The Islanders selected him 28th overall in 2014.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Guaranteed if Pulock did this he would not be sent back because they know he may make the team. They ultimately have nothing to lose with Ho Sang because they knew he was not making the team anyway, so they can make a statement and know they lose nothing. But they don't do this next year or the year after when they would know they could be losing 20-30 goals off the roster.

i say garth snow calls bull **** on you.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I love watching Ho-Sang on the ice because he's shown he can be an electric player, but I just don't understand this.

Thank god Snow was able to get Barzal and Beauvillier this past draft. I wonder if Ho-Sang had any impact on the aggressiveness of the trade ups.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

That's crazy. I pictured him showing up maybe 30 mins late. But sleeping while they're on the ice? That's embarrassing, kid.

Hope he gets his **** together. Absolutely the right call to send him home.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Guaranteed if Pulock did this he would not be sent back because they know he may make the team. They ultimately have nothing to lose with Ho Sang because they knew he was not making the team anyway, so they can make a statement and know they lose nothing. But they don't do this next year or the year after when they would know they could be losing 20-30 goals off the roster.

The other thing to consider is, where exactly would they send Pulock back to? He played in the AHL last year and is too old for juniors. So a player like that has to stay in camp because there's no where else for him to go. This type of player would get the bag-skate treatment for lateness or breaking curfew or something like that. Ho-Sang or a player with junior eligibility can just be sent back to their junior team as punishment.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I love watching Ho-Sang on the ice because he's shown he can be an electric player, but I just don't understand this.

Thank god Snow was able to get Barzal and Beauvillier this past draft. I wonder if Ho-Sang had any impact on the aggressiveness of the trade ups.

Probably not, our forward prospects were very thinned out and it was great getting them.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He made a mistake and was punished for it. Go light up the OHL to pay everyone back. I like JHS.

This.

It's not like he had any chance of making the team. He's a good amount behind MDC as well.

Get mad at yourself and learn a lesson. He still holds the cards on his future is likely 2 years away.

Impress the team and yourself Josh. I'm pulling for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad