Rumor: Josh Gorges trade speculation (blocked trade to TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
My source (not with the club) told me the Habs would like to find a younger "upgrade" for Gorges...his words.

Doesn't mean that the player they were going to gt from Toronto was an "upgrade" in everyone's minds...that would be left for everyone to decide later.

Is Garrison an "upgrade"? that's debatable..but they tried to trade for him.

Yeah, but what I meant is that Bergevin would be trading for someone he thought to be an 'upgrade' on gorges. If that player ended up being Franson.... someone was very wrong. That's what I'm worried about.

Whether garrison is a 'young upgrade' on Gorges, is, as you say, debatable. Hell, the 'younger' part is debatable! :laugh:

Thanks for the info, btw.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Or the Canadiens are so desperate to be free of his 3.9m cap hit (for whatever reason) that they're willing to lose him for absolutely nothing instead of being stuck with it.

I have a hunch my scenario is the more likely one.

If it's about cap space then I'm guessing Bergevin either has another trade ready to bring in a Dman or he's got a free agent ready to sign a deal tomorrow.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Bergevin has a deal for a D on the free agent market tomorrow. That's why it is, accept a trade today, or be waived tomorrow.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
If it's about cap space then I'm guessing Bergevin either has another trade ready to bring in a Dman or he's got a free agent ready to sign a deal tomorrow.

We got the confirmation already that the Habs are interested in Dan Boyle.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Or the Canadiens are so desperate to be free of his 3.9m cap hit (for whatever reason) that they're willing to lose him for absolutely nothing instead of being stuck with it.

I have a hunch my scenario is the more likely one.

I was starting to wonder if we would just not sign franson and let him go to UFA, completely shedding gorges' cap hit. :dunno:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Dave Stubbs is such a cheerleader... Jesus... The guy's crying all over Twitter...

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 1m

On top of it all: #Habs Gorges's wife, Maggie, is expecting couple's first child within a week. Business of hockey can be a cruel thing

Stubbs sounds so sad on TSN Radio right now.

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
He's quite valueable. The cap just went up. You figure plenty of teams would be improved. You mean Edmonton wouldn't give us a second for him?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I was starting to wonder if we would just not sign franson and let him go to UFA, completely shedding gorges' cap hit. :dunno:

Why not just offer him the same 2M for 1 season he was making last season and have him on your 3rd pairing. Wouldn't he be quite decent on a 3rd pairing. The guy got 33 pts playing 20 min/game.. he can't be THAT bad.

Stubbs and Gorges can cry in each others arms like Therrien and Gionta did. Ridiculous display by them today.

Indeed. Pathetic even.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
But then why put Gorges on waivers and not Bourque? Or Brière.

Because Bourque was one of if not our best player in the playoffs two years in a row, and Briere just got us a top9 winger and a draft pick because he handled it like a professional and waived his NTC instead of whining to the media about it.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
"Somebody has a couch I can crash on?"
\

d43305f9349481341834a2a37b26969f.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think Bergevin has a deal for a D on the free agent market tomorrow. That's why it is, accept a trade today, or be waived tomorrow.

Almost certainly (see Dan Boyle) but you know...does +Boyle -Gorges make us a much better team? I don't really see it but I guess Bergevin does.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Why not just offer him the same 2M he was making last season and have him on your 3rd pairing. Wouldn't he be quite decent on a 3rd pairing. The guy got 33 pts playing 20 min/game.. he can't be THAT bad.

Franson is really bad. He got that many points because toronto plays a herp-derp style. He's a guy who will hurt us more than he helps. There's also no reason to not just sign weaver at that point, he's a much better defenseman.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Stubbs sounds so sad on TSN Radio right now.

Dave Stubbs is like that guy in high school who hangs out with all of the popular kids to make himself look more important.

Sounds harsh, but the guy should stick to reporting and stop focusing so much on being best friends with everyone in the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad