Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's been a Bruin for almost a month and no player thread for him so why not start one now?

Interesting video from TSN on the day he was signed by Ottawa. Talks about how he had double-hip surgery while in CBJ. The overall take on the signing by the panel is overwhelmingly positive.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
They talk about Korpi giving them saves.
Did the Sens not allow a goal on the first shot a lot last year? hahah

Either way, hope he rebounds and can be a solid backup in Boston. Rooting for the guy.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It's going to be extremely interesting to see what Bob Essensa can do with Korpisalo.
IF he can get Joonas back on track and turn his career back around, Goalie Bob should be considered the "Goalie Whisperer." That would be a huge accomplishment. Furthermore Sweeney will shine alongside.
If they fail to get him back on track, well, not sure how that will look depending
on how and what they do with is contract.
Again, it's going to be extremely interesting.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's going to be extremely interesting to see what Bob Essensa can do with Korpisalo.
IF he can get Joonas back on track and turn his career back around, Goalie Bob should be considered the "Goalie Whisperer." That would be a huge accomplishment. Furthermore Sweeney will shine alongside.
If they fail to get him back on track, well, not sure how that will look depending
on how and what they do with is contract.
Again, it's going to be extremely interesting.
The one thing I really dislike about the move is that Korpisalo is fairly injury prone. 5 lower body injuries since 2019 and one hip injury requiring surgery.

I don't mind the 4 year risk if he's a guy who stays healthy, but a few too many years for a guy often injured.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Many less games should reduce that injury threat.

When Ottawa signed him I thought he was a reasonable mid level goalie signing that would give them some stability. He was not, but I do wonder if some of it was the fault of the Ottawa D and how they play.

I have faith in goalie Bob. People need to remember that when Sweeney signed Ullmark a lot of eyebrows were raised and many people said overpay for a mid level guy and when he started more jumped onto that negative bandwagon as he had some adjustment issues. But then apparently goalie Bob got him to make a few changes and he got a Vezina so have faith in goalie Bob.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

When Ottawa signed him I thought he was a reasonable mid level goalie signing that would give them some stability. He was not, but I do wonder if some of it was the fault of the Ottawa D and how they play.

I have faith in goalie Bob. People need to remember that when Sweeney signed Ullmark a lot of eyebrows were raised and many people said overpay for a mid level guy and when he started more jumped onto that negative bandwagon as he had some adjustment issues. But then apparently goalie Bob got him to make a few changes and he got a Vezina so have faith in goalie Bob.
Curious to see how Ullmark performs with Ottawa, did Essensa really turn him into Vezina Ullmark or will he go back to mediocrity with a lesser defense.

Be interesting to compare stats later in the season between Korpisalo & Ullmark but I'm sure Ullmark will have twice as many games played.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Curious to see how Ullmark performs with Ottawa, did Essensa really turn him into Vezina Ullmark or will he go back to mediocrity with a lesser defense.

Be interesting to compare stats later in the season between Korpisalo & Ullmark but I'm sure Ullmark will have twice as many games played.
Ullmark was an excellent goaltender before he came to Boston though. I’m sure he will do very well in Ottawa as well.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Ullmark was an excellent goaltender before he came to Boston though. I’m sure he will do very well in Ottawa as well.
he really excelled after a year with boston - that mixed with a much worse squad in front of him leads me to believe there will be some regression

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Swayman misses games we just aren’t going to give him what he wants after we basically gave up assets to move last years Vezina winner or traded him for a bag of pucks so Sway could have the job to himself. He can learn to yodel or sign an offer sheet and/or give us a ton of picks.

Korpisalo/Bussi tandem probably plays well and weakens his bargaining position. Question is does it ruin his career Dafoe was never the same after his holdout. In fact he totally sucked afterwards.

• Haha
Reactions: drkfluff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Plays ok but doesn’t have great stats is my guess. Costs himself a ton not signing this summer.

Things fell into place for Ullmark here but he had a light workload good D nice regular season stats and then was awful in the playoffs.

Dudes one of the most cowardly players that I can recall as a high end pro athlete. He was the reigning Vezina winner and used his NTC to be a backup and hug the starter vs be the #1 on LA or Colorado. Gutless and pathetic. Don’t blame his kids for that either it’s on him.

Imagine if Jimmy G didn’t get hurt the deflategate year stayed the starter and Brady refused to be traded and waited out his contract because he liked playing golf at Brookline and then blamed his kids. That is Ullmark.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Here's hoping Goalie Bob can work his magic & turn Korpisalo's game around.

We can bitch about Sweeney's idiocy w/r/t the contract all we like but Korpisalo is a Bruin now & I want him to play well. Hate the deal, not the player [see Coyle, Charlie]

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Here's hoping Goalie Bob can work his magic & turn Korpisalo's game around.

We can bitch about Sweeney's idiocy w/r/t the contract all we like but Korpisalo is a Bruin now & I want him to play well. Hate the deal, not the player [see Coyle, Charlie]

It isn't that bad of a contract. The Bruins paid a backup $5m last season. The issue is that Korpi has sucked of late. If he turns out to be a decent goalie as a Bruin, he isn't going to be overpaid by much, if anything. I hope he gets his form back and kicks ass since he is now a Bruin and is likely to win the job in camp. And if not, and Bussi is our guy, then I consider an AHL Korpi as insurance against injury disaster and a fee for drafting Dean Letourneau.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

There's a big difference there that you are neglecting. A lot of the everyday stats (gaa, sv%) were good for Ullmark when he was on bad BUF teams:

905 3.11
915 2.69
917 2.63

He performed well, on a bad team, there was a belief that he'd perform even better on a good team.

Korpi's last 3 years
877 4.15
914 2.87
890 3.27

It's fine to think that Essensa can make Korpisalo better than he was. It's wrong to think that Korpisalo Pre-Essensa was just as good as Ullmark Pre-Essensa.

His GSAA

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
There's a big difference there that you are neglecting. A lot of the everyday stats (gaa, sv%) were good for Ullmark when he was on bad BUF teams:

905 3.11
915 2.69
917 2.63

He performed well, on a bad team, there was a belief that he'd perform even better on a good team.

Korpi's last 3 years
877 4.15
914 2.87
890 3.27

It's fine to think that Essensa can make Korpisalo better than he was. It's wrong to think that Korpisalo Pre-Essensa was just as good as Ullmark Pre-Essensa.

His GSAA
Korpisalo was very good the year we beat them in the playoffs and has stunk since. Pretty sure any goalie would be doing backflips to get traded to the Bruins.

Swayman needs to cut the crap and sign something team friendly. We even signed Zadorov for him so he doesn't get pushed around.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Korpisalo was very good the year we beat them in the playoffs and has stunk since. Pretty sure any goalie would be doing backflips to get traded to the Bruins.

Swayman needs to cut the crap and sign something team friendly. We even signed Zadorov for him so he doesn't get pushed around.
Swayman needs to do what is right or Swayman. The team didn't sign a 5m x 6 guy who might be their 3rd pairing LD as early as this year "for him". He also knows it's a business. He just saw them trade his good friend, despite the guy wanting to stay here. But like I said, that's the business and he understands it.

Maye Sweeney needs to cut the crap and offer something player friendly? The fact is nobody knows if either side is acting unreasonable, but why the onus should be on the player instead of the GM is something I'll never understand.

Do watch hockey because we want to see Evan Gold looking at a spreadsheet, or because we watch actual players?

Reactions: HustleB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He was great in the 2020 playoffs.

I'd argue pre-Essensa Korpisalo was better than pre-Essensa Ullmark at times. Just the consistency year-to-year wasn't there. He was lights out in the 2020 playoffs (although I still look at that entire bubble tournament with a grain of salt).

People forget that Ullmark was all arms and legs in Buffalo and even his first year in Boston somewhat. Essensa really cleaned up his movements and posture.

They are different goalies though. Essensa got Ullmark to get more out of his large frame and play tighter more compact. Korpisalo is more of an athletic goalie and his strength is more about east-west movement, good at taking away the lower part of the net.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He was great in the 2020 playoffs.

I'd argue pre-Essensa Korpisalo was better than pre-Essensa Ullmark at times. Just the consistency year-to-year wasn't there. He was lights out in the 2020 playoffs (although I still look at that entire bubble tournament with a grain of salt).

People forget that Ullmark was all arms and legs in Buffalo and even his first year in Boston somewhat. Essensa really cleaned up his movements and posture.

They are different goalies though. Essensa got Ullmark to get more out of his large frame and play tighter more compact. Korpisalo is more of an athletic goalie and his strength is more about east-west movement, good at taking away the lower part of the net.
I came away from a lot of Buffalo games thinking that Ullmark was much better than the stats were showing and that he would be a starter elsewhere.

Haven't watched nearly enough Korpisalo to make that assessment, but I think it was obvious Ullmark was better than the stats from watching some Sabres games.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I came away from a lot of Buffalo games thinking that Ullmark was much better than the stats were showing and that he would be a starter elsewhere.

Haven't watched nearly enough Korpisalo to make that assessment, but I think it was obvious Ullmark was better than the stats from watching some Sabres games.

I agree totally. His numbers on that dreadful Buffalo team that final year there were actually pretty good all things considered. Their record was substantially better with him in the net. I was a fan of the signing when it originally happened because of that.

Still, his technique left a lot to be desired. For a big goalie, he was "small" in the net and his stance wasn't as compact as it eventually became. Good on them seeing his potential and maximizing it through hard work and coaching.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
When goalies are good enough to make the NHL, and play a significant amount of games, it's 80-90% between the ears, the other 10-20% is physical health, fitness etc. Out of that 80-90%, a good portion is the clubhouse culture and outside of the team drama or lack there of.
Us goalies are weird bunch.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

905 3.11
915 2.69
917 2.63

Korpi's last 3 years
877 4.15
914 2.87
890 3.27

His GSAA
I never said he was as good.

All I said was Goalie Bob made him better (he has said so himself). Goalie Bob can make Korpisalo better too.

Ullmark was signed to be a starter. Korpisalo is a back up, a veteran insurance policy, and a little bit of guy we had to take to make the deal happen. If Essensa can get him back to a .900 or better save percentage again (and I think he can) he will be adequate in his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad