Speculation: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Depends if they want to get any value out of him or simply dump the contract at negative value.

Keep in mind, teams were asking the Canucks for a sweetener to take Garland who only had five points less than Huberdeau at 5M and with a much shorter contract

The cap is going up though and unlike the Canucks trying to get a replacement for Garland to compete right away/sign extensions, the Flames are OK in just keeping Huberdeau until a more opportune moment it available.

The contradiction is that many outsiders think Huberdeau is completely useless as a player. He's overpaid but not useless. Then they think we should get rid of him for the rebuild use assets to get rid of him. That makes no sense. Either he helps the rebuild and we don't need to move him or we move him because he gives assets great for the rebuild. It shouldn't be both or neither.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The cap is going up though and unlike the Canucks trying to get a replacement for Garland to compete right away/sign extensions, the Flames are OK in just keeping Huberdeau until a more opportune moment it available.

Hence why I said he better get comfy in Calgary because it's extremely unlucky he's going anywhere else for a while for exactly that reason. The Flames have no need to move him at a loss like that. They can just wait 2-4 years and see where the market's at.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Hence why I said he better get comfy in Calgary because it's extremely unlucky he's going anywhere else for a while for exactly that reason. The Flames have no need to move him at a loss like that. They can just wait 2-4 years and see where the market's at.

Ah I see.

Yeah, Huberdeau knows. He's said as such in interviews.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Do we know if Huberdough bought a home in Calgary or does he still live in Florida?

In this interview from summer 2023, Huberdough manages to suggest that renting an apartment during his first season in Calgary "was tough, because he wasn't in a comfortable environment when leaving the arena". That explained the 55 points.

In the same interview, he says he has corrected the situation and bought a house in Calgary and felt super confident for the upcoming 23-24 season. Subsequent events showed he sucked even more. Maybe next, he'll blame the color on the walls? His decorator? His personal chef? A manicurist?

I wish I had used this excuse with my bosses before buying:

"Why are these not filed yet? And why have you been late 4 times this week?"

"I'm renting. It's tough going home"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad