Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The AHL is an absolute grind. Most players are basically in maintenance mode, physically, once they get into the season. I don't think you have a very good understanding of either the intensity of pro hockey, or the intensity of off-season training if you're suggesting this.

you're saying that ahl drafted prospects do not have a custom tailored in season developmental program that takes precedence over game starts and game usage?

i thought that was pretty standard now. the ahl has less games than the nhl and, in the east at least, much less travel, and the games are stacked on weekends. it's not cookies and ice cream but its not the nhl.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
you're saying that ahl drafted prospects do not have a custom tailored in season developmental program that takes precedence over game starts and game usage?

i thought that was pretty standard now. the ahl has less games than the nhl and, in the east at least, much less travel, and the games are stacked on weekends. it's not cookies and ice cream but its not the nhl.

So Gadjovich is going to head out of town to power skating camps in between games?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He may have been a 'man child' in junior, but so far in his pro career he's been a 'boy child' with some serious skating issues.

Reactions: VintageBure

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
that's kind of a leap from what i originally said about training in utica being good because there is not much travel, isn't it?

You said it would be similar to offseason training, regarding how it shouldn’t be an issue improving his skating drastically.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Completely disappointed in this players progression unfortunately. Looks slower than Lucic and not as effective.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You can basically stick a fork in him.

The best-case scenario right now is that we can get a bit of AHL bottom-6 utility out of him for the next two years before he's released in 2021. But there's a strong chance he'll be in Kalamazoo just wasting a contract slot.

Yeah. He's done. He just hasn't improved as a skater, and you just can't play in the NHL without the ability to keep up with the pace of play. Maybe not even in the AHL. If he hasn't made any appreciable improvements in his skating by what is essentially 21 now...he's not going to.

Was always the gamble with him, that he has obvious goal-scoring touch around the net and you were basically betting on him improving his skating to at least a "barely serviceable" NHL level. Even bigger gamble in that he already had his "man body" at the draft, so you'd have been banking on technical improvements helping him. He hasn't even come close though. He's not even really at an AHL level of skating ability at this point.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The best-case scenario right now is that we can get a bit of AHL bottom-6 utility out of him for the next two years before he's released in 2021. But there's a strong chance he'll be in Kalamazoo just wasting a contract slot.

If Darren Archibald can develop into a good AHL player I think Gadovich has a chance as well. But ya the odds are not good that he will develop into an NHL player at this point.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If Darren Archibald can develop into a good AHL player I think Gadovich has a chance as well. But ya the odds are not good that he will develop into an NHL player at this point.
You know, the two of them even have a very similar skating stride. It's ugly haha. If he can will himself to get his feet moving around the rink at Archibald speed then of course he can have an Archibald-like career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Archibald was an outlier who took until his late 20s to get where he did. And had a mean streak and hits like a truck, while Gadjovich is a big p***ycat.

I've said before the ex-Canuck he most reminds me of is PC Labrie, who did actually eventually play a few NHL games. But I think Gadjovich's skating is even worse than either Labrie or Archibald.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What do you think players who need to overhaul their skating do in the offseason?

so your theory is he can't work remotely with his ontario coach, the utica staff has no skating coaches who can work with his coach's program, and there are no skating coaches in the greater utica urban region who can assist him with his skating?

if i was him at his age, i'd be straight over to this place after practice. every. single. day.

Meet our Skating Coaches | Welcome to utcice

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol, never mind. googling utica skating coaches failed me. but he definitely should go there anyway.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lind is a step behind, Gadjovich is like 4 steps behind. The gap in speed is too large to overcome for Gadjovich to effectively make it to the NHL imho.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Archibald was an outlier who took until his late 20s to get where he did. And had a mean streak and hits like a truck, while Gadjovich is a big p***ycat.

I've said before the ex-Canuck he most reminds me of is PC Labrie, who did actually eventually play a few NHL games. But I think Gadjovich's skating is even worse than either Labrie or Archibald.

Archibald wasn't exactly a tough guy and willing fighter in juniors though. That was something he added at the pro level to better his chance of earning a spot. I think you're overly harsh on many players. Gadjovich was 20, was not up to speed, and dropped the gloves against bigger guys. To use an analogy, it's normal for boxers to be cautious and feel his opponent's power first. It's not being a p***ycat. It's possible that once Gadjovich is more comfortable about his abilities at the AHL level you would see a more physical game out of him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I hate to say this (dreading the backlash), but LaBate, who was never good, was better than Gadjovich's best outings on his worst nights.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The upside with Gadjovich is he at least is aware that his skating is his biggest deficit and is a huge work in progress

Comets seriously need a full time skating coach or something. or the coaches that Horvat or MacEwen employed should be recommended to Gadj in the offseason.

Wasn't it obvious enough last year that he would have seriously done this in the Summer that just passed?!?!?
He should have sought out such coaching immediately on his own.

The Canucks management should have been all over it as well. Waste product Ghost Johnson should have been ordering it and imploring Benning to get on it, if through nothing more than a phone call to the kid expressing the importance of such summer work to his future with the Canucks.

He's never going to amount to anything if he can't skate in a profession where the #1 job requirement is skating.

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad