Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was definitely my gripe, he plods around like a tug boat out there

A power forward with "an injury history" in junior isn't reassuring....even his coach DeGray saying he's in for a bit of shock when the comes up against pro players who are just as big and physical as he is.....and skating still a bit of red flag.....at least two years in Utica for Gadjovich imo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His upside is probably that of a 15 goal 35 point 3rd line player. I am more concerned about his skating than his size and strength. He's not a huge guy (he measured 6'1" under 200lbs at the combine) but he's strong. Ya, guys at the pro level will be bigger and stronger, but there's no reason why his relative strength can't be carried over.

He needs to be able to get in front of the net at the pro level. I don't think his size and strength is going to prevent him from doing so. His speed might.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The pro game is going to hit him like a brick wall and I think a good chance he gets left behind and forgotten.

Yep that's just the harsh reality for the careers of most of these prospects we overhype in the 1-2 years post draft while they are still in Junior. Think Lind and Gadjovich are going to have a big transition period and the 2017 draft will start losing it's shimmer.

Reactions: MS and PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For what it is worth, Gadjovic did lead the OHL in estimated shots/60 at even strength. If he can figure out his skating, you might get a less vicious Raffi Torres out of him.
Actually, despite his kamikaze style and late hits at times, Torres was a great skater....maybe not by today's speed demon standards in the NHL, but certainly in his day the guy could move for a big-bodied player. If players like Horvat and Archibald can dramatically improve their skating once they hit the pro's, I guess there's a chance for Gadjovic as well. Utica will be his first big hurdle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really liked the pick at the time as it's hard to get bigger guys with skill outside of #1 picks and it was worth taking a shot on improving his skating.

But man, the WJCs were a wake up call. Couldn't handle the pace. And was unproductive for the 2nd straight year in the OHL playoffs when the pace went up.

Right now it's an even bet he ends up in Kalamazoo next year.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Speed is the current hyped trait in the league because of the way the game is played today, but as a stand alone asset it really doesn't mean much. A kid like Griffen Molino can fly, but doesn't have much else to his game.

Gadjovich is definitely a lumbering skater, but if the Oilers can figure out a way to get the current version of Milan Lucic into top-6 minutes in NHL games, the Canucks should be able to shelter a weak skater too. And IMO Gadjovich has enough skill, size and willingness to use that size to justify at least a cup of coffee in the NHL eventually.

He definitely needs to meaningfully improve his skating to get to the next level, but I don't think he needs a Bo Horvat-like miraculous breakthrough to get to the level of a fourth liner. Paired with someone who could play to his strengths while making up for his weaknesses (Sutter/Virtanen??), I think he still has the potential to be a reasonable bottom-6 guy.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Gadjovich is a long shot imo. I'm expecting him to put up 20-25 points in Utica next year. You need to skate or you won't be played. You can't put someone on the 3rd or 4th line who can't skate unless if they are a goon. We see that Gaunce is barely an NHL player and he's sound defensively and pretty big and a better skater than Gadjovich. He also produced in the AHL. He might develop into Patrick maroon but it will take some time. Maroon dominated in junior and pro too.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Really hope Kole Lind & Jonah Gadjovich pan out. I remember wanting the Canucks to select Nic Hague & Eemeli Rasanen w/ their picks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Actually, despite his kamikaze style and late hits at times, Torres was a great skater....maybe not by today's speed demon standards in the NHL, but certainly in his day the guy could move for a big-bodied player. If players like Horvat and Archibald can dramatically improve their skating once they hit the pro's, I guess there's a chance for Gadjovic as well. Utica will be his first big hurdle.

Do the Canucks employ a skating coach down there? That’s something ownership should be spending money on. More bang for the buck paying people who can help your prospects improve.

Size is useful if you can get there in time to use it.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
He had a tough year and it's hard to say how much injuries and illness slowed him down... but if he can stay healthy and work on his first step, I still think we have a good 2nd/3rd liner here.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Gadjovich is a long shot imo. I'm expecting him to put up 20-25 points in Utica next year. You need to skate or you won't be played. You can't put someone on the 3rd or 4th line who can't skate unless if they are a goon. We see that Gaunce is barely an NHL player and he's sound defensively and pretty big and a better skater than Gadjovich. He also produced in the AHL. He might develop into Patrick maroon but it will take some time. Maroon dominated in junior and pro too.

Or Alex Grenier.

I am that high on Gadjovich. I would be surprise if he makes it to the nhl. Lind I can see developing into Middle 6 winger like Higgins level

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You can basically stick a fork in him.

The best-case scenario right now is that we can get a bit of AHL bottom-6 utility out of him for the next two years before he's released in 2021. But there's a strong chance he'll be in Kalamazoo just wasting a contract slot.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i can see gadjovic figuring out the ahl this year. but he's got to fix his skating to go further than that.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
As I said in the GDT last night, he makes Brandon Prust look like Pavel Bure by comparison

There has to be some way for him to get better at skating, and it might be best to get him to drop to under 200lbs if he can

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
The upside with Gadjovich is he at least is aware that his skating is his biggest deficit and is a huge work in progress

Comets seriously need a full time skating coach or something. or the coaches that Horvat or MacEwen employed should be recommended to Gadj in the offseason.

Reactions: mossey3535

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The upside with Gadjovich is he at least is aware that his skating is his biggest deficit and is a huge work in progress

Comets seriously need a full time skating coach or something. or the coaches that Horvat or MacEwen employed should be recommended to Gadj in the offseason.

I was wondering when the Horvat skating coach comment would pop up. This just doesn't work for everyone, unfortunately.

And if we're saying he needs to work on it next offseason.... yikes, we just had an incredibly long offseason and his skating hasn't improved one iota.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I was wondering when the Horvat skating coach comment would pop up. This just doesn't work for everyone, unfortunately.

And if we're saying he needs to work on it next offseason.... yikes, we just had an incredibly long offseason and his skating hasn't improved one iota.

to be fair, technical improvement might show up more in the ahl. he may have defaulted to all his bad habits trying to keep up with a pace he was not ready for.

and the utica guys get a ton of development time. they live in utica. they only play weekends and travel is mostly game day. they don't have any other jobs. with a little discipline, they can maintain a training schedule not far off summer training.

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
to be fair, technical improvement might show up more in the ahl. he may have defaulted to all his bad habits trying to keep up with a pace he was not ready for.

and the utica guys get a ton of development time. they live in utica. they only play weekends and travel is mostly game day. they don't have any other jobs. with a little discipline, they can maintain a training schedule not far off summer training.

The AHL is an absolute grind. Most players are basically in maintenance mode, physically, once they get into the season. I don't think you have a very good understanding of either the intensity of pro hockey, or the intensity of off-season training if you're suggesting this.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad