Johnny Hockey's 1st career hat trick leads Calgary to improbable comeback win

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Gaudreau is one of the very best players in the entire NHL for hockey IQ, it wouldn't shock me if it was intentional.

He's been the Flames best forward this season by far. Nothing he does would shock me.

I've seen Datsyuk trying those kind of "lucky bounces" all the time. When people are crashing on the net, there is a good chance to get "lucky" when throwing the puck there. For own player or opposite player, doesn't matter. Send the puck on the net and good things will happen. Gaudreau did the right play, that's only what matters, intentional, lucky or whatever.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm laughing at all of the people in this thread who are butt hurt about people suggesting that JG coming down on the goalie with little time left on his backhand, with Quick challenging, at a bad angle, and Doughty leaving him in the last second letting Quick play the shot, hence Quick's aggressive positioning, that it's almost probable, and also by the looks of the video, that Johnny...in desperation mode, could have thought to throw the puck into the middle hoping to either bank it off the defenseman or that it would find it's way to the trailers stick.

The play is obviously a signifier of JG's advertised high hockey IQ. But I mean realistically that's just the right play to make in the situation and it take a high level of IQ to make that play at game speed, but it's not really unheard of. It's nothing fancy, it's just hoping for some puck luck. And he got it.

In my youth hockey career that's a play lots of players make. If you come around the corner and are circling around into the slot and are in tight, if you see skates you throw it at the skates and the bodies in front hoping for a bounce.

Amazing play though I don't mean to downplay it. And amazing patience on calmness on that 2nd goal. As well goal-scorer instincts on that 1st goal. Which is impressive to me, because his passing because of his IQ is already borderline elite.

Haven't seen much of him in the NHL other than a game or two and highlights, but I've seen enough to say I'm a fan.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Come on dude, not even Gretzky could aim a shot a foot off the ice to hit the player stick and have it go in. It was a lucky goal, plain and simple.

You're probably right except I never saw the goal you just described :help:

I'm still happy for Calgary, hope this kid stays for awhile.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
3-0 Kings I say to myself. I'm on the east coast and getting tired I should go to bed. I've watched three games tonight, Kings have this one in the bag, yeah I'm going to turn in.

:cry::cry:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
3-0 Kings I say to myself. I'm on the east coast and getting tired I should go to bed. I've watched three games tonight, Kings have this one in the bag, yeah I'm going to turn in.

:cry::cry:

Lol. Don't do that to Calgary. If the game is boring at least come back for the final 10 minutes.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
That was a bad pass that bounced and ended up in the net not intentional.

Haters gonna hate. If it was a pass why was it a bad pass? He had a player coming in. Doughty played the player correctly. If the puck didn't hit his skate it would have hit the flames player coming in. Both JG and DD made great plays here.

Thanks for coming out Debbie downer

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm actually wondering if he meant to throw it out front and hope someone would receive the pass.

Common move that they're taught in the minors. (So like last week for Johnny:P) Throw it in the defenders skates, might tie it up long enough for your teammate to get it, or you just might get a lucky bounce. I'm sure he didn't expect the outcome, but Johnny knew what he was doing

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Actually no, Healy is just stupid and had no idea "Johnny Hockey" came from the Boston College fans and then claimed there is "only one Mr.Hockey" :shakehead

Not only is Healy an absolute idiot he should have no part in the hockey media...with out a doubt he is clueless.

Oh, Healy is a total moron, but he isn't the only one that finds the whole "Johhny Hockey" shtick a bit annoying and presumptuous

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Oh, Healy is a total moron, but he isn't the only one that finds the whole "Johhny Hockey" shtick a bit annoying and presumptuous

You know why I stick with the Johnny Hockey name? Because I can't for the life of me remember how to spell Gaedrue. Guardrau. Goodroe..... Hockey.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Bryan Little gets the Jets 1st hat trick... I forget to dress him on my fantasy team.

Gaudreau gets his first career hat trick... I forget to dress him on my fantasy team.

Good lord...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think it was accidental but....

1. It was on the ice and off the skate (not a foot up and off a stick?)

2. I played beer league with an AHLer, and that's exactly what he did to tie the game up in the last minute. Players who are above the level of competition, can think the game better than the competition, is my point. Gretzky, or maybe even Johnny Gaudreau could think about banking the puck off a skate for a goal. It's not impossible.

While that may be true, you're implying that Gaudreau is above the level of NHL competition. Above the level of the team that has won two Stanley Cups in the past three years. That doesn't seem a little...lofty...to you?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
While that may be true, you're implying that Gaudreau is above the level of NHL competition. Above the level of the team that has won two Stanley Cups in the past three years. That doesn't seem a little...lofty...to you?

For last night, Gaudreau was the best player on the ice regardless of the past Cups won by the Kings.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
For last night, Gaudreau was the best player on the ice regardless of the past Cups won by the Kings.

Ok, but you don't see the difference between saying "Gaudreau was the best player on the ice for one game" versus "Gaudreau is a level above NHL competition"?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Met Johnny in the summer, and beleive me, he is absolutely tiny, made me doubt him a little. Though I did expect him to eventually be a top 6 forward, just didn't expect the impact he's made just yet. Good for him.

The interesting part to me is that it's not like he looks like Tarasenko out there, the skill level isn't insane, the speed isn't that great, and the shot is pretty average, but he just has that ability and hockey sense to make things happen and produce. It's the trait of a special player.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Met Johnny in the summer, and beleive me, he is absolutely tiny, made me doubt him a little. Though I did expect him to eventually be a top 6 forward, just didn't expect the impact he's made just yet. Good for him.

The interesting part to me is that it's not like he looks like Tarasenko out there, the skill level isn't insane, the speed isn't that great, and the shot is pretty average, but he just has that ability and hockey sense to make things happen and produce. It's the trait of a special player.

I would disagree that his skill level is ordinary. Some of the moves he makes on players are crazy. His top-end speed is definitely nothing special, but his acceleration is off the charts and is what allows him to create so much space for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad