OT: Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau killed in drunk driving incident

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Damn. Woke up to this. RIP Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau.

Has there been a reputable source that has confirmed this yet? Terrible news if true.

Never mind it just popped up on my TSN feed.

Brutal

RIP Johnny and Matthew

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was really hoping all the reports on this last night weren't true. Two brothers taken way to soon. If some of the initial reports are to be believed it was a drunk driver. And his sisters wedding was supposed to be today.

Man I really feel for that family.

Edit: Found a release.

PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. (CBS) — Columbus Blue Jackets player Johnny Gaudreau and his brother were killed in a crash Thursday night in Salem County, New Jersey, State Police confirmed to CBS News Philadelphia.

Gaudreau, 31, and his 29-year-old brother Matthew were riding bikes on County Route 551 in Oldmans Township, Salem County on Thursday night when they were struck by a man driving a Jeep.

Police said the driver, 43-year-old Sean Higgins of Woodstown, New Jersey, attempted to pass a slower vehicle when he hit the Gaudreau brothers.

The Blue Jackets confirmed the Gaudreaus deaths in a post on X.

Higgins was detained under suspicion he was under the influence of alcohol and charged with two counts of death by auto. He was taken to the Salem County Correctional Facility.

According to officials, the New Jersey State Police talked to the driver who remained at the scene.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I was really hoping all the reports on this last night weren't true. Two brothers taken way to soon. If some of the initial reports are to be believed it was a drunk driver. And his sisters wedding was supposed to be today.

Man I really feel for that family.
No parent should have to bury a child, let alone two at the same time

Absolutely gutwrenching for that family

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No parent should have to bury a child, let alone two at the same time

Absolutely gutwrenching for that family

That's just absolutely devastating. Pretty sure he just had another kid as well.

His whole family must be in complete shock right now. Everyone is together getting ready for a beautiful day full of family and friends, They were probably out for a bike to burn off some of that rehearsal dinner for the wedding. I just can't imagine the joy they were feeling turned to complete devastation. I feel so bad for them.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Don't drink and drive.

Be patient on the roads. Saving seconds to get to your destination is not worth anything.

RIP Johnny. Feel like he put college hockey back on the map early 2010s and also was the face of a franchise for almost a decade. Can't imagine the pain his family and friends are going through.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Right before his sisters wedding. Wow, tragic news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Was reminded Monahan just signed there too guessing reuniting with Gaudreau and his family had influence.

Yeah...losing both your brothers the night before your wedding? Can't even imagine...just unbelievably sad.

I hope the driver that hit them is an absolute pos because the thought of somebody who's otherwise a decent person who made the worst mistake imaginable is also a very sad thing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah...losing both your brothers the night before your wedding? Can't even imagine...just unbelievably sad.

I hope the driver that hit them is an absolute pos because the thought of somebody who's otherwise a decent person who made the worst mistake imaginable is also a very sad thing.

Hard to imagine anyone who would drive drunk let alone attempt to pass someone for going to slow while under the influence is a good person. That alone makes you a POS in my books.

In today's age there is absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. There never was but with all the apps we have for ride services and most of them really not that expensive. Driving drunk is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit. If you can afford to go out and get drunk, you can afford to responsibly get home.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Stick taps for Johnny Hockey. Absolutely senseless, gut-wrenching. This happening the day before his sister's wedding makes it hurt so, so much more.

Feeling a lot of emotions. Not sure if I'm more sad or more angry. Drunk driving is so stupid and selfish. Call a f***ing cab or an Uber. Entirely disgraceful.

I put some Gaudreau highlights on last night and he was a special, crafty player. While I liked to rib on him a lot, that's just because he was the Flames star attraction. He was excellent and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

I will never forget Johnny Hockey.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Johnny was a dynamo. He definitely inspired a lot of smaller players to keep pursuing their NHL dreams. Condolences to his family and friends.

This sucks.

Edit: The more I took into it, it’s even worst. The night before his sisters wedding, Johnny having a newborn and 2 year old. From all accounts he was a good man.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hard to imagine anyone who would drive drunk let alone attempt to pass someone for going to slow while under the influence is a good person. That alone makes you a POS in my books.

In today's age there is absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. There never was but with all the apps we have for ride services and most of them really not that expensive. Driving drunk is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit. If you can afford to go out and get drunk, you can afford to responsibly get home.

yeah absolutely. The guy isn't a teenager either so I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere close to his first drunken drive..

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Such sad news, rest in peace Johnny Hockey...

1000007694.jpg

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a gut punch for me - and I'm sure all. It's weird, people die all the time but occasionally an instance really seems to resonate with you.

I've been wrapped up in a bunch of petty worries recently, and this is a good reminder that life is not guaranteed.

RIP Gaudreaus

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Terrible news, another pointless DWI tragedy, one of the most talented and exciting players of his era gone.

Anyone who's worked around an A&E/ ER has seen far too many results of these, fatal and otherwise. And not one of them justified or even explicable.

Just awful.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad