Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That Guenther contract is just awful, as far as what it means for JJP.

I think that it's inevitable that 7 or 8 years for JJP means higher annual salary than Tage. I woulda locked that down at before the draft.
JJ's agent doesn't do early extensions afaik

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That Guenther contract is just awful, as far as what it means for JJP.

I think that it's inevitable that 7 or 8 years for JJP means higher annual salary than Tage. I woulda locked that down at before the draft.
Guenther put up 35 points in only 45 NHL games last season.

His PPG last year and for his career is way better than JJ's.

I don't think it is any worse than say the Power and Sanderson second contracts were on the defensive side.

:dunno:

Screenshot 2024-09-26 091422.jpg

Here are some upcoming RFAs to watch when it comes to Quinn & JJP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Here's an interesting 2nd contract comparable:
Coming off a 25/25 season, Sam Reinhart signed for 2 years at 3.65 per.
That's about a tad over $4M AAV as a percentage of next year's cap.
that will be 7 years ago by the time JJ signs his deal. Don't think there's a comparison there

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dawson Mercer's agent and New Jersey beg to differ :)
He had 33 points last season and probably took the bridge deal to get a better contract in the future. If we think Peterka will have 33 points this season (which would be bad) then maybe he will sign a bridge deal but I doubt Peterka will have such a weak season.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
He had 33 points last season and probably took the bridge deal to get a better contract in the future. If we think Peterka will have 33 points this season (which would be bad) then maybe he will sign a bridge deal but I doubt Peterka will have such a weak season.
And his two previous seasons were slightly better than Reinhart's.
To be clear, all I'm arguing is that a 2-year $4-5M deal is not an unrealistic option if he doesn't take another step.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Here's an interesting 2nd contract comparable:
Coming off a 25/25 season, Sam Reinhart signed for 2 years at 3.65 per.
That's about a tad over $4M AAV as a percentage of next year's cap.
I'd rather walk him to ufa on a 4 year bridge than 2 year him to death until he decides to leave like Sam but a 6 year deal in the 6.5 range could be a great deal 2 years into that contract giving us 4 good years of his on a steal with the cap rising. We have to start asking if we think Quinn, benson, kulich are better to have than jjp if we have to start making cap space. Which is why I'm not opposed to moving Quinn missed significant time last year he has great ability and is capable of 30-35 goals and 75 points but that isn't guaranteed and he hasn't done that yet paying him long term could bite us in the ass if he gets another major injury unless we plan to circumvent the cap and use ltir in which case we can sign all our players and have a couple miss time until after the trade deadline.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I'd rather walk him to ufa on a 4 year bridge than 2 year him to death until he decides to leave like Sam but a 6 year deal in the 6.5 range could be a great deal 2 years into that contract giving us 4 good years of his on a steal with the cap rising. We have to start asking if we think Quinn, benson, kulich are better to have than jjp if we have to start making cap space. Which is why I'm not opposed to moving Quinn missed significant time last year he has great ability and is capable of 30-35 goals and 75 points but that isn't guaranteed and he hasn't done that yet paying him long term could bite us in the ass if he gets another major injury unless we plan to circumvent the cap and use ltir in which case we can sign all our players and have a couple miss time until after the trade deadline.
You may not be able to get him at that range given more recent comparables. Most of these guys are getting 8-year deals in the 8 million range. If he produces at a similar level again this season, that's probably the reality. You either do a bridge of 2 x 6.5 or a long term 7 or 8 year deal.

Slaf - 8 x 7.6
Kyrou 8 x 8.25
Raymond 8 x 8.075
Bratt 8 x 7.875
Guenther 8 x 7.14
Robertson 4 x 7.75

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And his two previous seasons were slightly better than Reinhart's.
To be clear, all I'm arguing is that a 2-year $4-5M deal is not an unrealistic option if he doesn't take another step.
Yes, but I think Peterka will have a good season and will want to make a long-term deal for 7-9 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad