Confirmed with Link: Johansen signs 3-year deal (4.0M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I expected a deal later this week or early next week. It sounds like a fair deal for both sides. Now we need a healthy Boone, and it should be an other exciting season.

Roll on 5th Line! Drop the damn puck already

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 50s51 seconds ago

Johansen terms: $3M in 2014-15, $3M in 2015-16 and $6M in 2016-17.

So they have to qualify his final offer at 6 million and he has arbitration rights for a one year deal potentially. Hopefully some healing and extension work starts up as soon as next season. Lots of healing to do and alot of work to make sure we don't lose johansen to UFA.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Does this mean that he has UFA status at the end of this contract?

No. But............

He'll only have one year left of RFA status with arbitration rights.

Essentially, it's a hybrid contract. $3 million bridge for first 2 years and a one year $6 million extension. For all intents and purposes, Johansen is an UFA after the 3rd year. He can go to arbitration and get a one year deal which will be commensurate with UFA pay.

So, the Jackets can say they won by keeping the bridge at $ 3 million and KO can say he won be effectively bumping Johansen's UFA stats up a year...or even 3. It's a deal which changes the landscape for many RFAs. While Johansen won't be making what most RFAs of his caliber do this season or next season, he will in year 3. In years 4-6 he'll make more-assuming reasonable career path trajectory.

The Jackets did change compensation for top RFAs at the end of the day. Maybe more in favor of the player than a $4 or $4.5 million bridge would have.

A very interesting deal. Both sides can claim victory, though I think that KO and Johansen can claim a bigger one.

IHeartZherdev*

3 years is perfect, and great deal for Jackets. for next 2 years hes paid as he would have been under the 2 yr bridge deal. 3rd year gives Joey what he wants, meaning for the jackets to resign him, the jackets have to offer 6 mill or within 15% of that number. Worst case, if he doesnt continue to progress, we overpay for 1 yr, and if motivation issues arrive, a very tradeable contract as well :)

How did KO pull a fast one and sneak in a $6M qualifying offer for joey's next contract? And potentially get him a 1 year $6 million payday taking him to UFA status at 26 years of age? I thought he was a moron who didn't understand the CBA and was ruining his client's career with his bad advice?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
A very interesting deal. Both sides can claim victory, though I think that KO and Johansen can claim a bigger one.

of course you do. :)

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

CBJ did well here. They hung tough on paying Johansen $3M in each of next two years. $6M in Year 3 would be a given in arb if RJ plays well.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
How did KO pull a fast one and sneak in a $6M qualifying offer for joey's next contract? And potentially get him a 1 year $6 million payday taking him to UFA status at 26 years of age? I thought he was a moron who didn't understand the CBA and was ruining his client's career with his bad advice?

Heh.

:nod:

Pure speculation of course...but could any agent have gotten him a penny more?

Seriously doubt it.

IHeartZherdev*

of course you do. :)

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

CBJ did well here. They hung tough on paying Johansen $3M in each of next two years. $6M in Year 3 would be a given in arb if RJ plays well.

Ideally, Joey continues his upward trajectory and he heads into that 3rd season with a very rich, long-term deal already in hand after two great playoff seasons :yo:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm really surprised this ended with a 3 year deal. Thought for sure it'd be 1 or 2 years.

CentreKeeper12

TheCentreKeeper
May 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
Ideally, Joey continues his upward trajectory and he heads into that 3rd season with a very rich, long-term deal already in hand after two great playoff seasons :yo:

I think that was thought in the FO after a 2 year deal seemed unlikely. Worst case is he doesn't develop and the CBJ have one year of a bad contract, which is different than the giving out bad contracts that we are know for.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 55s56 seconds ago
Glad the Superintendent of Danglebus has signed. Such wasted energy to get to obvious endgame. But, it's done. GO PLAY!! (Old Tom Morris)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

My guess would be at that age with that experience, and if he continues to progress, would be what they project an arbitor to reward. So like Cyclone said above, jackets got what they wanted a 2 year bridge at 3 mill, which they feel would have been backed up if it were elgible to arbitrator to hear. And most likely the 3rd year is using thar projected estimate.

Kashie14

Mar 10, 2011
Very similar to Giroux's second contract. I hope Johansen plays well enough for his own 8 year big dollar deal at the end of this one.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!! I was actually just about to change my avatar, but I guess Joey can remain in it for now ;)
The start of the season looks a whole lot better now. I'm glad Joey and his agent didn't drag this into the regular season. It could have not gotten any uglier than that.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The big winner here is the fans. My 10 and 12 year old will probably cry when they here this after school. Sounds korny, but I kid you not. We had just finished taking down all #61 posters from their rooms when the Joey drama started this summer.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
There goes the rest of my work day. I'm too psyched and will likely just be watching hockey vids to get anything productive done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad