Confirmed with Link: Joe Veleno loaned to Malmo for 20/21 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think going over and playing on the bigger ice could be good for a lot of these guys. Exposed to different practices, forced to build different skill sets. The big worry is that we'd have kids unable to play anywhere, so it's good to see Veleno getting a spot.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I was worried Veleno was the odd man out with all the other prospects going to Europe. Glad to see it, but definitely does not sound positive for the AHL this year.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well im a Malmo fan. he is just what we needed. We have a physical team, we are not very swedish in our style of play, we lack some skilled top 6 players, hopefully Veleno will help with that.

Andreas Lilja is our assistant coach btw.

Olofsson – Händemark – Bryggman
Brodecki – Veleno – Järvinen
Westerholm - Westerholm – Sylvegård
Engstrand – Wemmenborn – Forsberg

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well im a Malmo fan. he is just what we needed. We have a physical team, we are not very swedish in our style of play, we lack some skilled top 6 players, hopefully Veleno will help with that.

Andreas Lilja is our assistant coach btw.

Olofsson – Händemark – Bryggman
Brodecki – Veleno – Järvinen
Westerholm - Westerholm – Sylvegård
Engstrand – Wemmenborn – Forsberg

Thanks, funny how our "Finnish Patrick Kane" Jan-Mikael Järvinen is his linemate now. Former linemate for Patrik Laine at Tappara and last season he was with Stützle at Mannheim. He's a great mentor, and especially great playmaker.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
2020 draft eligibles on Malmo

Helge Grans - Right Defense, 6'3", 192lbs. Ranked between #19 to #39
Oskar Magnusson - Center/Right Wing, 5'10" 165lbs. Ranked #71 to #138

I like both and hope that the Wings are able to nab at least one of them in this year's draft. Magnusson has big Tomas Tatar potential. Veleno playing with Magnusson could be fun to watch.

Reactions: grewalwings

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
2020 draft eligibles on Malmo

Helge Grans - Right Defense, 6'3", 192lbs. Ranked between #19 to #39
Oskar Magnusson - Center/Right Wing, 5'10" 165lbs. Ranked #71 to #138

I like both and hope that the Wings are able to nab at least one of them in this year's draft. Magnusson has big Tomas Tatar potential. Veleno playing with Magnusson could be fun to watch.

Eric Engstand too. Was passed over last years draft thought. Looked good in SHL so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So far Veleno in Sweden.

6 games, 1+2=3 points
+3 - 6 = -3 in plusminus
15 shots on goal
Strong at faceoffs, but can't find the overall data. Could you swedes help where to find that? At least two games in-a-row with >70% faceoffs.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
His been good. But our team have been bad so far. Veleno have been pretty physical which is a nice suprise for me.

Reactions: Henkka

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I love it when DobberHockey agrees with me:

"Joe Veleno
I truly believe that Veleno may be the lynchpin to the entire rebuild of the Red Wings. They have, or are growing, their prospect depth in a lot of spots except for centre. Beyond Dylan Larkin, there's not much the team can hang its hat on down the middle moving forward. Joe Veleno turning into a legitimate middle-six centre would solve a lot of problems for the Red Wings down the line, like having to go out and sign players like Frans Nielsen. I know for some reason it feels like he's been around forever, but Veleno's still 20 years old and doesn't turn 21 until next month."

Ramblings: Rookies with potential to move up in 2021 including Tomasino, Smith, Zegras, and more - December 17

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012

"Joe Veleno
I truly believe that Veleno may be the lynchpin to the entire rebuild of the Red Wings. They have, or are growing, their prospect depth in a lot of spots except for centre. Beyond Dylan Larkin, there's not much the team can hang its hat on down the middle moving forward. Joe Veleno turning into a legitimate middle-six centre would solve a lot of problems for the Red Wings down the line, like having to go out and sign players like Frans Nielsen. I know for some reason it feels like he's been around forever, but Veleno's still 20 years old and doesn't turn 21 until next month."

Ramblings: Rookies with potential to move up in 2021 including Tomasino, Smith, Zegras, and more - December 17
I'm not sure what your opinion is that he's agreeing with you on... but this isn't really a comment on Veleno at all. All it says is we need to find a center(s). No real insight if Veleno is tracking that way or not

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

"Joe Veleno

I know everyone is predicting we're gonna grab a D at the draft, but there are a couple centers playing for the U of Michigan this year that I have a feeling we are watching quite closely. Kent Johnson is my preference of the 2, I think he may have more offensive upside, but Matt Beniers is in the conversation too. Obviously it all depends where we pick, but it wouldn't shock me if Johnson or Beniers are drafted by the Wings in June.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I know everyone is predicting we're gonna grab a D at the draft, but there are a couple centers playing for the U of Michigan this year that I have a feeling we are watching quite closely. Kent Johnson is my preference of the 2, I think he may have more offensive upside, but Matt Beniers is in the conversation too. Obviously it all depends where we pick, but it wouldn't shock me if Johnson or Beniers are drafted by the Wings in June.
Agreed. The article posted does not speculate on whether or not Veleno will become that #2 center we need, nor does it give reasons why that is likely or not to happen. It only says that the outcome is critical to the rebuild. We already know this. I'm still waffling on JV. He has tangible skills, but they don't seem to translate as much as I'd like. I know he plays on a crappy team, but I'm always wanting...a bit more. I'd so love to be wrong about him. I'll be the first to admit it if I am.

Reactions: Sparty

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I like both centers.
It's still early. But I'm down with taking a center. Enough wingers.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I hope we take a center with our 1st pick. We need to have some more kicks at the can, for that position, so we can have potential leveraging of assets to build our roster. I think if we had more competition at the center position, in the future, that we can leverage that into a greater roster gain.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I hope we take a center with our 1st pick. We need to have some more kicks at the can, for that position, so we can have potential leveraging of assets to build our roster. I think if we had more competition at the center position, in the future, that we can leverage that into a greater roster gain.

Center or LD.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Center or LD.
Wide receiver. We're going full Matt Millen.

I think LD this draft and C next. Plus there will be a few UFA centers available in 2022, like Forsberg. WHat would be hilarious is if the WIngs signed Malkin as a stop gap for a couple of years, lol. Very few teams will have $8M or whatever it takes to sign him. (Depends on how he ages the next couple of years, I suppose.)

It's pretty typical for a rebuilding team to sign a short term contract with an aging superstar at the end of their career. Feds signed with the Caps for example, Gonchar with Pittsburg. Allows the team to compete, but doesn't burden the team with long term contracts.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Wide receiver. We're going full Matt Millen.

I think LD this draft and C next. Plus there will be a few UFA centers available in 2022, like Forsberg. WHat would be hilarious is if the WIngs signed Malkin as a stop gap for a couple of years, lol. Very few teams will have $8M or whatever it takes to sign him. (Depends on how he ages the next couple of years, I suppose.)

It's pretty typical for a rebuilding team to sign a short term contract with an aging superstar at the end of their career. Feds signed with the Caps for example, Gonchar with Pittsburg. Allows the team to compete, but doesn't burden the team with long term contracts.

How many top D do you really need? Lets say Seider is a true #1 and Hronek already is a legit #2 who is also highly capable of the PP. Do you really need to pair a top 2 D with Seider? With a guy like that most teams can put a solid #4 caliber guy with him and they will look like a top pairing defender all day long. A #4 caliber guy with Hronek and you have a legit 2nd pairing. Your all set. After all, there is a salary cap in this league and you usually can't afford 3 or 4 top pairing D. I know teams have done it and have been solid (Nashville among others), but Nashville would trade away one of their top D in a heartbeat for a legit #1 C and they would have been a better team for it. Ryan Johanson never really panned out for them. He is good, but just not good enough. Nobody is going to trade away a top 20 center, not even for Seth Jones. Who at the time was very young, already looking very good in the NHL and as promising as they come. If you have a true #1 and a #2 in this league with 2 #4s you are made in this league.

Should we really spend top 5 picks on D when we are desperate for a C? I get it if the clear cut best player available is a D. If not I think you have to roll the dice for a C. We could very likely be a true 1st line C away from being a good team (considering we have just a bit of luck developing our current young players and prospects).

We also have a very good defense prospect pool with some promising players who have a good chance of turning out as #3-5 D. I think we are pretty set here considering we will also continue to draft more D 2nd+ rounds at add to that pool.

Just my opinion, but something to consider when you evaluate a lot of the teams in the NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How many top D do you really need? Lets say Seider is a true #1 and Hronek already is a legit #2 who is also highly capable of the PP. Do you really need to pair a top 2 D with Seider? With a guy like that most teams can put a solid #4 caliber guy with him and they will look like a top pairing defender all day long. A #4 caliber guy with Hronek and you have a legit 2nd pairing. Your all set. After all, there is a salary cap in this league and you usually can't afford 3 or 4 top pairing D. I know teams have done it and have been solid (Nashville among others), but Nashville would trade away one of their top D in a heartbeat for a legit #1 C and they would have been a better team for it. Ryan Johanson never really panned out for them. He is good, but just not good enough. Nobody is going to trade away a top 20 center, not even for Seth Jones. Who at the time was very young, already looking very good in the NHL and as promising as they come. If you have a true #1 and a #2 in this league with 2 #4s you are made in this league.

Should we really spend top 5 picks on D when we are desperate for a C? I get it if the clear cut best player available is a D. If not I think you have to roll the dice for a C. We could very likely be a true 1st line C away from being a good team (considering we have just a bit of luck developing our current young players and prospects).

We also have a very good defense prospect pool with some promising players who have a good chance of turning out as #3-5 D. I think we are pretty set here considering we will also continue to draft more D 2nd+ rounds at add to that pool.

Just my opinion, but something to consider when you evaluate a lot of the teams in the NHL.

We need a legit, top pairing LD.
We also need a legit 1C.
And a legit 1G.

We're going to be in the top 4-6 for 2-3 more years. So we should get it.
I like the idea of drafting D early in the rebuild process since, traditionally, they take longer to develop,
But Heiskanen, Makar and Hughes are starting to change that narrative.

Reactions: Gniwder

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
We need a legit, top pairing LD.
We also need a legit 1C.
And a legit 1G.

We're going to be in the top 4-6 for 2-3 more years. So we should get it.
I like the idea of drafting D early in the rebuild process since, traditionally, they take longer to develop,
But Heiskanen, Makar and Hughes are starting to change that narrative.

I just don't see to many teams who have two #1-2 D on their top pair. Some teams are that fortunate, but its not necessary to win a cup in this league. Most teams have 2 really good D and 2 solid defensive d man, they play 1 of the top guys on the top pair and the other on the 2nd pair and plug in the other 2 solid defensive guys. Regardless if they are RD or LD. A guy like Hronek, you find yourself a solid defensive D and you got a pair who can play 22+ mins a night. You don't need to spend top 5 draft picks to get that guy. Same thing with Seider if he becomes what we are anticipating at this point. You can find solid defensive LD guys all day long that aren't going to make your team any weaker attacking the left side. You can pay these guys 3.5-4.5 mill instead of the 8+ Makar will eventually get. It would not be worth having 2 Makars one the same pairing. 16+ mill in cap on 1 D pair for what? You might just rather have a bigger bodied much cheaper defensive guy paired with him.

The next problem is, if you end getting lucky and drafting yourself a Makar or Hughes. Then what happens to Hronek or Seider? He doesn't get much if any PP time. These guys need opportunity to reach their best and continue to play at their peak. There is a point of diminishing return. Line 1, Seider makes most the offensive plays/outlets/etc. Line 2 Hronek makes most the offensive the plays/outlets/etc. Good players need the puck often to be good. Consider forwards for a minute, 3 Barzals isn't the most ideal line. You end up paying the cap hit to own all 3 of those Barzals but you don't end up getting 3 Barzals worth of impact. You just need some traditional opportunistic wingers (snipers or power forwards) when you have a guy who has the puck on his stick constantly. Guys who don't need to be highly involved with the puck and will contribute when given the opportunity by a player like Barzal. If you have a center like Scheifele who isn't your typical play making C then you might need a winger more like Connor or Ehlers who can split carrying the puck and execute zone entry and can create separation in the offensive zone. Scheifele likes to be around the net and shoot the puck more so than make plays.

You don't need to be drafting top 5 to land an ideal D partner for either of our 2 guys unless you don't think Seider is going to end up being a #1. Seider is a guy I'm willing to put all my marbles on though and draft C if there isn't a clear BPA.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad