Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It looks to me like the Jets aren't concerned about AAV, but they are concerned about term. UFAs aren't flying off the shelves at the moment, and I'll bet it's a contract length issue for most GMs vs. what the UFA's want.

Stafford's AAV is a bit high, but his term is great. Hard to call any 2yr term contract bad, IMHO. He can still be flipped next TD, after a year and a bit of contribution to the team.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agreed, Gin.

There are still quality depth forwards out there that haven't been signed to a contract yet because GMs are actually showing restraint for once. I am amazed that Goc, Bergenheim, Tlusty, and Stempniak are still un-signed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, Gin.

There are still quality depth forwards out there that haven't been signed to a contract yet because GMs are actually showing restraint for once. I am amazed that Goc, Bergenheim, Tlusty, and Stempniak are still un-signed.

Very good point. Those guys are all VERY useful pieces for any team looking to fill out their bottom six. All those guys can also arguably play further UP the line-up - incredible that they're not signed. This FA season is definitely different.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Agreed, Gin.

I looked it up. Stempniak didn't sign with the Ramgers until July 19 last year. All of those guys are likely looking for a multi year contract (at least 2yrs) but will have to settle for 1 year deals IMO

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very good point. Those guys are all VERY useful pieces for any team looking to fill out their bottom six. All those guys can also arguably play further UP the line-up - incredible that they're not signed. This FA season is definitely different.

A lot of teams are preserving cap space. That's pretty obvious. I think it might be because they are looking to lock up their younger players with long-term deals earlier, rather than bridge deals. There is definitely an increasing awareness / danger of offer sheets. In that light, the refusal to give Frolik too much money and term seems in tune with the market.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
A lot of teams are preserving cap space. That's pretty obvious. I think it might be because they are looking to lock up their younger players with long-term deals earlier, rather than bridge deals. There is definitely an increasing awareness / danger of offer sheets. In that light, the refusal to give Frolik too much money and term seems in tune with the market.

Calgary didn't seem to have too much of a problem with it, though. :D

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I was always of the mind set that at max we were only keeping 1 of stafford or Frolik.

I think Walsh was playing Chevy for term and $ on Frolik ..... Like he did to Chevy with Pavalec. When Chevy signed Stafford.... He left Walsh holding a week hand having over played Chevy. Walsh had to go the next best offer which was Calgary. What Chevy almost admitted to at his presser that in many ways his negoatited offer with Frolik may have been Supperior to the Calgary offer he ended up taking.
I'm glad Chevy did not get taken to the cleaners by Walsh again (Pavelac).

2 yr term on Stafford works well for where we are at building this team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Friedman's 30 thoughts

25. Tried to piece together how close Winnipeg came to re-signing Michael Frolik because it’s clear GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was frustrated. Agent Allan Walsh wouldn’t comment, but a couple teams suspected the Jets offered four years at $16 million before free agency began, then talked about the possibility of $4.25M per, although I’m not sure it actually got there. There was at least one offer higher than Calgary's. I wondered if it was New Jersey, because Walsh has a good history with Ray Shero, but that’s purely a guess. He’s an excellent fit for the Flames. Frolik’s departure could be a gift for Alexander Burmistrov, who wants a top-nine role. Yes, he’s normally a centre, but can play wing. This is a relationship that needs some trust built back into it, and stepping into the void would be a good start. The Jets may also give a long look to Joel Armia, acquired in the Evander Kane trade.

he also said this in his preamble

There are several useful bodies still out there: Brad Boyes, Christian Ehrhoff, Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Cody Franson, Curtis Glencross, Jim Slater, Lee Stempniak and Scottie Upshall among them. But everything’s in a holding pattern. How long will they have to wait?

“I think you’re going to see some good players having to accept training camp tryouts,” one GM said Wednesday. Yikes.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Calgary didn't seem to have too much of a problem with it, though. :D

Calgary doesn't have a lot of core pieces to worry about. Frolik is a top-6 guy on their team for some time. He might not be a top 8 or 9 guy on the Jets in a few years.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed, Gin.

I would really feel alot more confidant making the playoffs this year if we would finally sign Stempniak and Tlusty , i liked both those players fit on the Jets . Can you imagine a 4th line of Copp Stempniak and Tlusty , it would be light years ahead of any 4th line we've had since the Jets came back !!:popcorn:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would really feel alot more confidant making the playoffs this year if we would finally sign Stempniak and Tlusty , i liked both those players fit on the Jets . Can you imagine a 4th line of Copp Stempniak and Tlusty , it would be light years ahead of any 4th line we've had since the Jets came back !!:popcorn:

Didn't Copp play with Stempniak in his game against Calgary? I don't remember who the 3rd guy was, but I recall that line doing very well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Friedman's 30 thoughts

25. Tried to piece together how close Winnipeg came to re-signing Michael Frolik because it’s clear GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was frustrated. Agent Allan Walsh wouldn’t comment, but a couple teams suspected the Jets offered four years at $16 million before free agency began, then talked about the possibility of $4.25M per, although I’m not sure it actually got there. There was at least one offer higher than Calgary's. I wondered if it was New Jersey, because Walsh has a good history with Ray Shero, but that’s purely a guess. He’s an excellent fit for the Flames. Frolik’s departure could be a gift for Alexander Burmistrov, who wants a top-nine role. Yes, he’s normally a centre, but can play wing. This is a relationship that needs some trust built back into it, and stepping into the void would be a good start. The Jets may also give a long look to Joel Armia, acquired in the Evander Kane trade.

There are several useful bodies still out there: Brad Boyes, Christian Ehrhoff, Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Cody Franson, Curtis Glencross, Jim Slater, Lee Stempniak and Scottie Upshall among them. But everything’s in a holding pattern. How long will they have to wait?

“I think you’re going to see some good players having to accept training camp tryouts,†one GM said Wednesday. Yikes.

Interesting how Friedman can get this stuff right and be at a different level than so many other reporters. Is it just me or does he seem more plugged in and smarter.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Friedman's 30 thoughts

“I think you’re going to see some good players having to accept training camp tryouts,†one GM said Wednesday. Yikes.

So pretty much what most other media people including Lawless have been saying. So far there has not been a shred of evidence to suggest that the Jets put a better offer on the table

jetkarma*

Didn't Copp play with Stempniak in his game against Calgary? I don't remember who the 3rd guy was, but I recall that line doing very well.

Yes Copp passed the puck for an assist on Stempniak's goal in that game .

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting how Friedman can get this stuff right and be at a different level than so many other reporters. Is it just me or does he seem more plugged in and smarter.

Friedman is the best journalist in the game right now, at least it terms of letting fans know about stuff he hears. He be one of the lost interesting people in the entire hockey world to have a meal with.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Friedman is the best journalist in the game right now, at least it terms of letting fans know about stuff he hears. He be one of the lost interesting people in the entire hockey world to have a meal with.

What he hears might or might not be correct. What I like is that he is plugged into what each team is doing, as though he really studies this stuff.

There was some stand-in media guy on 1290 today who made the comment that Morrissey and Ehlers were bulking up this summer to come in bigger to training camp. The guy is obviously not even paying attention to the Jets if he doesn't know that one of the top prospects is actually planning come into camp lighter than last year because he thought it was a mistake to be too heavy and bulky last year. Stuff like that just tells me that the guy is either lazy, or doesn't really remember things very well. Anyone on this board would have had the right line on that topic, but a local media guy doesn't. :shakehead

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
What he hears might or might not be correct. What I like is that he is plugged into what each team is doing, as though he really studies this stuff.

There was some stand-in media guy on 1290 today who made the comment that Morrissey and Ehlers were bulking up this summer to come in bigger to training camp. The guy is obviously not even paying attention to the Jets if he doesn't know that one of the top prospects is actually planning come into camp lighter than last year because he thought it was a mistake to be too heavy and bulky last year. Stuff like that just tells me that the guy is either lazy, or doesn't really remember things very well. Anyone on this board would have had the right line on that topic, but a local media guy doesn't. :shakehead

Except you very well could be wrong on this unless you have talked to Morrissey or his trainer and know his intentions. You are just assuming you are right based on Internet hearsay

I can't count the number of times people have repeatedly said something enough on this site that it becomes seen as the truth, yet very rarely people post actual sources regarding "widely known" ideas.

This is why I like guys like Friedman, he doesn't report mere hearsay and if he's just speculating he says that

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Got to add my two cents on Friedman. I also think he's great. He conveys useful and insightful information. He doesn't try to prove or argue his points like 99% of his blow-hard peers.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Except you very well could be wrong on this unless you have talked to Morrissey or his trainer and know his intentions. You are just assuming you are right based on Internet hearsay

I can't count the number of times people have repeatedly said something enough on this site that it becomes seen as the truth, yet very rarely people post actual sources regarding "widely known" ideas.

This is why I like guys like Friedman, he doesn't report mere hearsay and if he's just speculating he says that

Um, ok. read me.

Josh Morrissey learned a hard, yet valuable lesson last fall when he showed up for his second NHL training camp.

As a smaller defenceman, Morrissey bulked up in an effort to get bigger and stronger as he tried to crack the Winnipeg Jets roster and it didn't take him long to figure out he had made a huge mistake.

Since then, by working closely with Jets director of fitness Dr. Craig Slaunwhite, Morrissey got himself on a program that emphasizes the building of lean muscle mass and the results have been evident.

“I've changed the way that I've been training. Last summer it was all about gaining weight and I came into camp and I felt slow, I felt heavy and that I had lost a half step of speed. I really noticed it in the camp and into the pre-season games,†Morrissey said after the fourth day of Jets development camp. “For anybody who has seen me play, the biggest thing for me is being able to be quick and fast.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Except I actually heard Josh Morrissey say it in an interview, which was widely quoted (word for word). It's not like it took a lot of research to figure this one out. See below.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We should trade Buff to the caps for Carlson and Bowey.
Before i want Buff traded , i would like to hear from him or his agent what his actual contract demands are . He is just too good to trade unless his demands are unrealistic for the Jets .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Before i want Buff traded , i would like to hear from him or his agent what his actual contract demands are . He is just too good to trade unless his demands are unrealistic for the Jets .

No chance that you'll hear accurate information about what his demands are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad