"Jeteresque" & Tall Ass Goalies

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So I'm able to work from home today, as I'm under some good meds, and my mind feels all "fluffy". Should have probably taken a sick day.

Two thoughts with not so much meat around them, but it would be fun to hash this out here and see what people think.

1. Can Tavares be the Isles' "Jeter"?

Now that's a tall order. I'm not really a baseball fan, but anyone can see that he is/was an incredible talent on the field, had great timing to play with all-star quality teams (Mattingly didnt), and was a class act on and off the field.

The Isles NEED a Jeter more than any team I know. Far too early in JT's career to make any comparisons and the teams he is playing on, needless to say, are nowhere near the quality of the teams that the Yanks field. It's also two very different games.

If this year (*ahem*) turns into the type of year that we THINK we are going to have, it would be great to see JT make strides into becoming Jeteresque!

(Yes, I just made up that word. Make sure I get credit)

2. Caught a bit of the Flyers/Rags game last night.

Rangers suck.

Flyers played a goalie who is 6'6". Anthony Stolarz

SIX ****IN SIX.

Now, I'm 6'4". Hard to sit in a train, plane, theatre, arena, etc.. I'm tall.

This guy is 2 inches taller than me and is on skates. How they hell is anyone going to score? Who knows if these guys will play in the NHL, or where they are on the radar

The Rangers iced a goalie, Jason Missiaen, who is 6'8".

Anyone have any extra time and want to do some data mining on the size of goalies over the past 20 years?

Missiaen_Action_Shot_3.jpg

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm no baseball fan, but the Jeter name is one you could hear on ESPN any day of the week. As for talent, JT could become that for us, though I see him more of an Yzerman (although with a slower rise to power.)

I think goalies are getting bigger these days - I played some myself years ago and I'm 6'3"+, but I never saw so many big netminders just 'out there' all at once (Bishop, Koskinen, Stolarz, etc.)

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Apparently average height grew two inches from 2000-2010. Extrapolate that out to now and they're about three inches taller than they were in 2000.

http://ingoalmag.com/general/nhl-goalies-have-grown-a-lot-over-the-last-decade/

I know this article is from 4 years ago, but notice how to tallest goalies listed are both kinda terrible.
It's nice to be big, but you still gotta have the talent. It's a shame that we won't see small goalies with skill like Osgood anymore. 6'0" seems to be a munchkin nowadays.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I know this article is from 4 years ago, but notice how to tallest goalies listed are both kinda terrible.
It's nice to be big, but you still gotta have the talent. It's a shame that we won't see small goalies with skill like Osgood anymore. 6'0" seems to be a munchkin nowadays.

The talent and the durability. :laugh: I was a tall goalie with a 38" inseam in a beer league and DESTROYED my lower back and hips playing butterfly and overdoing the flexible stuff, like a certain other goalie we all know around here. :eek:

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
So I'm able to work from home today, as I'm under some good meds, and my mind feels all "fluffy". Should have probably taken a sick day.

Two thoughts with not so much meat around them, but it would be fun to hash this out here and see what people think.

1. Can Tavares be the Isles' "Jeter"?

Now that's a tall order. I'm not really a baseball fan, but anyone can see that he is/was an incredible talent on the field, had great timing to play with all-star quality teams (Mattingly didnt), and was a class act on and off the field.

The Isles NEED a Jeter more than any team I know. Far too early in JT's career to make any comparisons and the teams he is playing on, needless to say, are nowhere near the quality of the teams that the Yanks field. It's also two very different games.

If this year (*ahem*) turns into the type of year that we THINK we are going to have, it would be great to see JT make strides into becoming Jeteresque!

(Yes, I just made up that word. Make sure I get credit)

2. Caught a bit of the Flyers/Rags game last night.

Rangers suck.

Flyers played a goalie who is 6'6". Anthony Stolarz

SIX ****IN SIX.

Now, I'm 6'4". Hard to sit in a train, plane, theatre, arena, etc.. I'm tall.

This guy is 2 inches taller than me and is on skates. How they hell is anyone going to score? Who knows if these guys will play in the NHL, or where they are on the radar

The Rangers iced a goalie, Jason Missiaen, who is 6'8".

Anyone have any extra time and want to do some data mining on the size of goalies over the past 20 years?

Missiaen_Action_Shot_3.jpg

Can JT be our Jeter? Absolutely! It's going to depend a lot on what happens in his career though. Moving towards the city will get him more exposure, so that can help. So far he does say and do all the right things. Time will tell where JT rises too.

I'm no baseball fan, but the Jeter name is one you could hear on ESPN any day of the week. As for talent, JT could become that for us, though I see him more of an Yzerman (although with a slower rise to power.)

I think goalies are getting bigger these days - I played some myself years ago and I'm 6'3"+, but I never saw so many big netminders just 'out there' all at once (Bishop, Koskinen, Stolarz, etc.)

With goalies getting bigger and bigger, I could see the NHL entertaining the idea of net expansion in the coming years. Now should the NHL expand the nets is a whole other discussion.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Jt is already more talented/skilled at hockey than jeter ever was at baseball. Jeter had impeccable leadership and class, which I think jt can emulate, but I am not sure if jt can have the ability jeter had to be "up for the moment". Timing and the ability to rise to the occasion, along with a supporting cast to help win, take a combination of things that can't come together solely based on an individual. Jt can never score the OT winner in game 7 of the finals if he is stuck with the rosters of the last few years.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Jt is already more talented/skilled at hockey than jeter ever was at baseball. Jeter had impeccable leadership and class, which I think jt can emulate, but I am not sure if jt can have the ability jeter had to be "up for the moment". Timing and the ability to rise to the occasion, along with a supporting cast to help win, take a combination of things that can't come together solely based on an individual. Jt can never score the OT winner in game 7 of the finals if he is stuck with the rosters of the last few years.

Agreed, on pure talent in their perspective sports, I think Tavares is a more talented hockey player than Jeter was a baseball player. And in their respective sports, Tavares has had to do more with less. That being said, Jeter arrived during the perfect storm. He excelled amongst a wonderful group of other players who excelled, and therefore the dynasty that was the late 90's Yankees. What Jeter had, was also an ability to shine when the moment was so important, he was so clutch, whether they needed a defensive play or an offensive play. So many great, clutch Jeter moments. He had a lot of help, it's what makes great teams, and let's face it, unless the new owners do a 180 from Wang, he may never be surrounded by greatness like Jeter was. But he is certainly Jeteresque the way he goes about his business, a classy act just like Jeter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad