Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What if Jesse manages 65-70 points this year? How much does he get on an 8 year deal then? He's good defensively, he's a big body who gets in on the forecheck and retrieves pucks, and if he starts producing....I think you're looking at an extension with an AAV that's over $7M.

Hopefully Jesse continues to be a solid contributor but doesn't break out too much offensively this year, signs a long term deal and then breaks out offensively next year. If he can continue to play well and puts up a 25G-20A season this year and the Oilers can get him locked up long term on a $5-5.5M AAV deal that would be ideal. Unfortunately from a cap point of view I think Jesse will have a better year than that and the Oilers are going to have a higher AAV to contend with.
This. You really genuinely hope he puts up only 40 pts? He better start putting up more than 60 points sooner rather than later so we know he has a future here. If any young player lights it up he should be welcomed. Heck if Holloway comes in and wins the calder, that would give us options.

JP puts up 100 points means we can dump him for more than a 3rd rounder as that was what he could salvage according to 80% of the buffoons posting here about a year and a half ago. He boosts his value making it easier for holland to trade him. That is what the fans wanted last year if you check those trade JP threads.

Reactions: behemolari

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Rumor: - Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Really like going thru these old discussions. Some classy stuff there.
hxl7rp18iszA.jpg

hxl7rp18iszA.jpg

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

hxl7rp18iszA.jpg

hxl7rp18iszA.jpg
Crazy how he probably went from the most hated Oiler of all time to one of the most loved in one year. Can’t believe some of the trash that a few posters spewed daily, non stop trashing Jesse not only as a hockey player but as a person.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There's a new article about Pulju in a Finnish newspaper. I don't have time to translate the whole article, but here's a quick translation of what the Bison King said:

They placed me immediately to a terrific line. There I try to use my own strengths and help my linemates. I already managed to score a goal so yeah it's pretty nice (note: hard for me to translate properly so don't take everything literally)

For this season my goal is to continue from where I left last season. Get everything out of myself in every game. Skate hard, win battles. Then the game carries you. It's felt good now.

Everyday life works fine and I get to play. Hockey is nice.

I have managed to keep my confidence high. That's important. Even though there will inevidently be a bit better and worse streches during a long season I try to play with high confidence all the time.

It's part of my strengths to grind and steal pucks. I try to get the puck to them. That's when good things usually happen. I try to do all I can so that we steal the puck a lot and thus get to attack a lot.

There's two world class players. For sure it's a terrific place to play in.

Well for sure that (15) should be exceeded. That is a fact.

But I haven't really set too many goals. If I could just enjoy everyday life and playing hockey. That hockey would be nice all the time. Yeah that tends to be most important. A day and a game at a time. That's where you then get the best results.

The Olympics are a big goal. It'd be great to play for Finland and against the best players of the world.

About the new nickname the Bison King: I guess there are worse nicknames (laughs).

We went to see a bison. We got a good photo, we were lucky. They say bisons aren't usually that close. A huge chunk (animal) had parked itself just by the path.

That's what the name came from so now there's the nickname the Bison King.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008338115.html

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn’t worry too much about the money. He doesn’t seem like the greedy type. Considering the route he has taken, I think what’s most important to him is having fun, getting the coaches trust and feeling at home in Edmonton. If all that clicks he’ll sign a team friendly deal.

He’s also from Lapland in northern Finland.

He probably genuinely enjoys the climate in Alberta and it feels like it’s at home for him.

I think he’ll want to be here long term especially if we’re successful and he’s enjoying himself on the top line with the best player in the world.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

hxl7rp18iszA.jpg

hxl7rp18iszA.jpg
On the day he was drafted and up to today, I still expect this kid to be as good and as useful as Rantanen, if not, even better. Not some 20 goals 20 assist per season. That does not cut it for me for a top 5 pick especially when he was picked at the time expected to be a phenom. And at the time he was chosen, he was a phenom. On the other hand, half the boards caved in on him last year praying for a 3rd rounder. What a joke.

Reactions: PulYou

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Watch JP get 50 goals in 50 games and win the Rocket Richard Trophy, then check back on this thread and previous threads where it was "let's hope he manages 20 goals a season and we'll be happy."

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Great to see Jesse redeeming himself. Gotta hope he continues like this. At least his attitude (based on interviews) and body language on ice are really good now. I have to admit that I didn't have very high hopes for him as a top player after all the struggling early on. He seemed like a deer in car headlights sometimes, also really frustrated. Well, nice to be wrong. Going back to Finland to play for a while was absolutely the right thing for him.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Mikko Rantanen got about 9.25M AAV for 6 years.

Let's do 9.00M for 8 years. $72mill sounds about right. JP is a right hand shot. Not many right hand shot big wingers out there.

Both players play a similar style. JP wins rocket richard trophy this season, give him what he deserves.

Reactions: behemolari
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad