Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'd think in practise Puljujarvi is currently at least as good and maybe even better when you consider the defensive side. However, when it comes to numbers Puljujarvi isn't at the same stage yet as his start was slower and he was away from the NHL. The Canadians were also in a difficult spot as they couldn't risk losing Suzuki after what happened with Kotkaniemi and as their situation with centers had got weaker.

I believe Pulju will be worth a great contract but as his and the Oilers fan I hope and believe it'll be reasonable. As I've said before I think it matters more to him that he has a great chance to shine after all the troubles and public humiliation he went through.

Agreed. I also think JP could PK if needed. I'm pretty sure I heard, around his draft year, that he was good defensively as well

Reactions: Whyme

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Well, comparing him to Suzuki is quite stupid because their situations are so different. What should be talked about is the suggestion that the team should somehow lower his point-totals by giving him limited ice-time and what not. While I still believe that this sort of coaching is very rare in pro leagues, Jesse's making it quite difficult to keep him off the scoreboard even if they really wanted to. He finds those soft areas better than last year, maybe because he thinks of himself as a scorer now (yet he still works like a madman).

It looks like he'll split PP1-time with Hyman for now.

Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
this is just nonsense. Suzuki was just one of the key players on playoff run to the cup finals and has proven to be at minimum a solid second line centre. How are you already suggesting JP is better…. Would the rest of the Oilers fan base be ok with 7.5m+ over 8 years like the Habs fan base is?

I come more from Pulju's camp so you can take it as such. Like I said all the numbers aren't there yet and terrific defensive game doesn't earn you as big contracts. I believe he'd be worth the contract you said but I believe less will be enough and probably justified in this case.

It's also hard to compare the numbers as Suzuki got 3 minutes more TOI and over twice as much PP time, but Pulju's goals/60 was clearly better and:

ESP/60: Pulju 1.637, Suzuki 1.852
ESG/60: Pulju 1.013, Suzuki 0.641

I guess it depends on what one values, but Pulju's defensive game is even elite in the NHL level and his goal scoring is pretty good (better than Suzuki's last year). Suzuki certainly has his strengths too.

Pulju's taking huge strides so we'll have to wait and see what he does this season and how he uses his increasing PP usage. So far his PP stats have been great for the small ice time so hopefully he can keep doing well there.

Reactions: Biltmore and PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Agreed. I also think JP could PK if needed. I'm pretty sure I heard, around his draft year, that he was good defensively as well

While he was struggling to get his offense going his defensive game was solid in the NHL and last year his defensive analytics were even among the best of the NHL. You're right, all the scouting reprts talked about his defensive game prior to the draft.

I checked one out of curiosity and the Pulju we are seeing now is finally getting close to what the reports said. They stated a lot of strengths (including the defensive side) and said physicality and shot accuracy were where he could do better. Just as they were. Here's a few quotes in case someone is interested (thehockeywriters.com, written just before the draft):

- It’s not often that players of this caliber come along, let alone three players in one draft.
- A closer look shows that Puljujarvi can make a case for the first overall pick.
- His awareness and hockey IQ really stand out as major strengths.
- He uses his skating to create gaps and uses his élite passing to set up open teammates.
- Puljujarvi is a generational talent that will eventually dominate at the NHL level. When you are talked about along the same lines as Teemu Selanne, then you see why he is one of the big three.
- We view him as an elite power forward with star potential, and quite possibly the best Finnish prospect in almost 30 years. (Steve Kournianos)
- His smarts and skills are undoubtedly already world class, but he needs to learn to use his size more as an advantage. Puljujärvi is a very complete player with a great understanding of the defensive side of the game too. (Hockey prospectus)
- Puljujärvi is a big winger who combines size, skating and skill. A strong skater who can blast past the opposition in full speed. Able to use his size, reach and stickhandling skills to retain the puck in speed. A smart player at both ends of the ice, both on and off the puck. Great work ethic and positive attitude. (Elite Prospects)
- Puljujarvi projects as a top-line winger who can eventually dominate games. He does so many things well on both ends of the ice. Even if he has an off night on offense, he can make up for that was with defensive play. He’s one of the most intriguing prospects of the last 10 years. It’s just a matter of time before he makes a major impact on the NHL.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jesse-puljujarvi-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Reactions: Biltmore and PulYou

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This time last yr it was dump JP for a 3rd. This year people are still doubting him but willing to call him complimentary.

Funny how things work here. Some fanboys said his icetime should be limited to keep his next contract low. jp was somehow out there in overtime tonight. Tippett obviously did not see things the way the fan boys here see it.

You have no idea what you're talking about, but go ahead and invent whatever narrative you want to make yourself feel superior to the "fanboys."

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
They're not even comparable though. Suzuki plays centre, pks, plays shutdown hockey at times. JP is an amazing shooter who will only get better but I don't think he will get around that. At least, not yet
JP was drafted to be a top line elite forward and when his max potential is reached would be an extremely higher ceiling than what Suzuki can imagine. If Suzuki was so good he would have gone first overall and touted as the next Mackinnon.

Reactions: PulYou

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
You have no idea what you're talking about, but go ahead and invent whatever narrative you want to make yourself feel superior to the "fanboys."
I predict you will disappear soon with nothing of substance to add regarding this thread's topic which is about a young Finnish player on the oilers.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I predict you will disappear soon with nothing of substance to add regarding this thread's topic which is about a young Finnish player on the oilers.

I’ve already contributed substance to this thread.

However, only posts I see from you contain drivel about how smart you perceive yourself to be (incorrectly) in comparison to others here.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If Pulju’s play keeps up (or gets even better, which I think it will,) any long term extension will be starting with a high 5’s or even a 6 (if going 8 years).

I think it starts with a 5 but they'll be looking at 3 to 5 years, which is the smart thing for Pulju's camp to do in my opinion.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
If Pulju’s play keeps up (or gets even better, which I think it will,) any long term extension will be starting with a high 5’s or even a 6 (if going 8 years).

What if Jesse manages 65-70 points this year? How much does he get on an 8 year deal then? He's good defensively, he's a big body who gets in on the forecheck and retrieves pucks, and if he starts producing....I think you're looking at an extension with an AAV that's over $7M.

Hopefully Jesse continues to be a solid contributor but doesn't break out too much offensively this year, signs a long term deal and then breaks out offensively next year. If he can continue to play well and puts up a 25G-20A season this year and the Oilers can get him locked up long term on a $5-5.5M AAV deal that would be ideal. Unfortunately from a cap point of view I think Jesse will have a better year than that and the Oilers are going to have a higher AAV to contend with.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I don't see him going pointless in many games. A minimum of 50 points should be expected. Now, what is that worth in the long run? He has a lot of things going for him and he won't stop anytime soon.

Extending in the near future would be the smart choice.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I wouldn’t worry too much about the money. He doesn’t seem like the greedy type. Considering the route he has taken, I think what’s most important to him is having fun, getting the coaches trust and feeling at home in Edmonton. If all that clicks he’ll sign a team friendly deal.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and Whyme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad