Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What a joke. Suzuki is light years ahead of Puljujarvi as a player. Suzuki will be the best player on his line for a long time. Puljujarvi will be the third best player on his line as the complimentary guy. Suzuki has superstar written all over him.

If you wanted to trade for Suzuki you would start by offering a package that includes Puljujarvi and Bouchard. That offer would be rejected by Montreal and rightfully so.
This time last yr it was dump JP for a 3rd. This year people are still doubting him but willing to call him complimentary.

Funny how things work here. Some fanboys said his icetime should be limited to keep his next contract low. jp was somehow out there in overtime tonight. Tippett obviously did not see things the way the fan boys here see it.

Reactions: Whyme

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Some fanboys said his icetime should be limited to keep his next contract low. jp was somehow out there in overtime tonight. Tippett obviously did not see things the way the fan boys here see it.
I am positively surprised. 20 minutes TOI is quite a lot for a winger, but I enjoyed every second of it.

I also enjoyed this:

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
FBoMM6iVIAMaQN3

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Already noticing him staying out for longer shifts now compared to last year. Last season he was always one of the first to get off the ice on his line and not staying out there too long. Last night I saw several shifts where he was the last one on his line to get off. Maybe a small sign of him feeling more comfortable and taking that next step.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
It's unbelievable how many times he keeps the puck alive for the Oilers in the offensive zone. Like 5 times in that game it looked like they lost the puck and Pulju just takes that bison charge and wins it back. In 82 games season it's gonna give his team dozens of scoring chances.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Where are all the "He won't score in the NHL like that" guys?
Cause that's what I heard after every goal in Finland.

You gotta give a Finn a few years...
It happens over and over again with these guys.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Where are all the "He won't score in the NHL like that" guys?
Cause that's what I heard after every goal in Finland.

You gotta give a Finn a few years...
It happens over and over again with these guys.

You have a point. Sometimes he scored beautiful goals, but somebody was there to tell how he won't score like that in the NHL. The problems is one can only score FEL goals against FEL players when he plays in the FEL.

While the difference between the two leagues is naturally huge the FEL is a good enough league so that many of the fundamentals are the same.

I also understand some had question marks because in his earlier NHL stint Pulju had trouble finding room, but he's now finding more room and slowing the game which starts to make some NHL level players players/goalies look bad in those situations. That's not a sign of the NHL getting worse but a sign of Pulju developing in some critical areas as well as him having good enough linemates to help with creating space.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I am positively surprised. 20 minutes TOI is quite a lot for a winger, but I enjoyed every second of it.

I also enjoyed this:

Go back earlier to this thread and see how many fairweather fan who have no clue should consider eating crow. JP will get fed heavy minutes and his contract will definitely be more than 6mill per season. Fans need to suck it up because JP is legit.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Go back earlier to this thread and see how many fairweather fan who have no clue should consider eating crow. JP will get fed heavy minutes and his contract will definitely be more than 6mill per season. Fans need to suck it up because JP is legit.
Lol you said JP is going to get paid 8 mill+ and be better than Suzuki. :laugh: It’s not being a “fair weather” fan to disagree with that.

Reactions: nabob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nick Suzuki 8 yrs 63mil

JP will get 8 yrs 65-70 mil

JP will be the better player by end of season and his agent will use that 8 yrs 63mil as a base.
They're not even comparable though. Suzuki plays centre, pks, plays shutdown hockey at times. JP is an amazing shooter who will only get better but I don't think he will get around that. At least, not yet

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
They're not even comparable though. Suzuki plays centre, pks, plays shutdown hockey at times. JP is an amazing shooter who will only get better but I don't think he will get around that. At least, not yet

I'd think in practise Puljujarvi is currently at least as good and maybe even better when you consider the defensive side. However, when it comes to numbers Puljujarvi isn't at the same stage yet as his start was slower and he was away from the NHL. The Canadians were also in a difficult spot as they couldn't risk losing Suzuki after what happened with Kotkaniemi and as their situation with centers had got weaker.

I believe Pulju will be worth a great contract but as his and the Oilers fan I hope and believe it'll be reasonable. As I've said before I think it matters more to him that he has a great chance to shine after all the troubles and public humiliation he went through.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I'd think in practise Puljujarvi is currently at least as good and maybe even better when you consider the defensive side. However, when it comes to numbers Puljujarvi isn't at the same stage yet as his start was slower and he was away from the NHL.

this is just nonsense. Suzuki was just one of the key players on playoff run to the cup finals and has proven to be at minimum a solid second line centre. How are you already suggesting JP is better…. Would the rest of the Oilers fan base be ok with 7.5m+ over 8 years like the Habs fan base is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad