Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Another interesting fact was that if JP was taken, the Oilers would not have picked PLD and rumors was that Sergachev was their guy. That would have altered the course of our picks and Broberg would not have been picked. One of Zegras, PodKolzin or Caufield might be taken.

Just throwing it out there. This might have been our current lineup. Just fooling around here.

There were also rumours the Oilers were planning to trade the 4th pick for an established defenseman. Even if they'd picked Sergachev we don't know how things would've gone as everything affects everything. The Oilers development wasn't that good at the time so we don't know if he'd be a similar player here. Even if he was the Oilers could've been good enough to keep Chia until today and hadn't had players like Bouchard drafted. Might have lots of Spooners and Mannings in the team right now.

Picking Sergachev also means the other teams would've made different choices. So all the draft positions would've been different in the following years. So no way to know if players like Zegras or Caufield would be available or if the team was good enough to have much pleasure from them. So yeah everything affects everything :)

Reactions: Biltmore

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Laine is a major liability 95% of the ice, he also doesn't create much offense, just a generational finisher. JP is very good defensively.and creates more offense himself

* I dont think highly of Laine

Laine can still be a very useful player to his team (especially on the PP), but I don't think he works well in a team like the Oilers. He needs offensive freedom and a place were things are built around him. I agree he's been a major liability too often and that is one of the main things he need to fix this season.

It's kind of frustrating when Pulju is a highly dynamic winger and Laine is of similar size, but very different in that regard. I do believe last year was a shock to him, he's highly competitive so being paid some 6-7 times more, getting a lot more PP opportunities but being worse than Pulju may have been a wake-up call. I believe we'll see a better Laine this year, especially if he stops trying some non-working things even if it means gaining a bit less points. I think CBJ is a good place as he gets all the PP time he wants and they are willing to keep him happy and get him the kind of linemates he needs.

Reactions: Biltmore and PulYou

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
There were also rumours the Oilers were planning to trade the 4th pick for an established defenseman. Even if they'd picked Sergachev we don't know how things would've gone as everything affects everything. The Oilers development wasn't that good at the time so we don't know if he'd be a similar player here. Even if he was the Oilers could've been good enough to keep Chia until today and hadn't had players like Bouchard drafted. Might have lots of Spooners and Mannings in the team right now.

Picking Sergachev also means the other teams would've made different choices. So all the draft positions would've been different in the following years. So no way to know if players like Zegras or Caufield would be available or if the team was good enough to have much pleasure from them. So yeah everything affects everything :)
True. But wasn't it Chiarelli who picked Bouchard? Maybe we end up Dobson instead and now we have a piss poor team.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
True. But wasn't it Chiarelli who picked Bouchard? Maybe we end up Dobson instead and now we have a piss poor team.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear enough, I meant if the Oilers had been better they wouldn't have been in a draft position to pick Bouchard. And anyway drafting players at different order (the Oilers picking Sergachev would affect other decisions) would change the order of the teams and thus affect coming drafts :)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
As a guy who watches the Oilers most of all because of Pulju, I must say that I hope he starts the season with Hyman rather than Draisaitl on the other wing. Draisaitl is obviously the better player, but Pulju has a completely different role when McDrai are on the ice vs. if it's just Hyman and McDavid. With Hyman they share the dirty work, which helps Pulju be more offensively creative and I just love to see that. McDrai obviously both like to do the more creative stuff themselves and that leaves Jesse (or anyone else on that line) to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net. However, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, it's great to see him playing consistently in the top-6 with the best players in the league :nod:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
As a guy who watches the Oilers most of all because of Pulju, I must say that I hope he starts the season with Hyman rather than Draisaitl on the other wing. Draisaitl is obviously the better player, but Pulju has a completely different role when McDrai are on the ice vs. if it's just Hyman and McDavid. With Hyman they share the dirty work, which helps Pulju be more offensively creative and I just love to see that. McDrai obviously both like to do the more creative stuff themselves and that leaves Jesse (or anyone else on that line) to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net. However, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, it's great to see him playing consistently in the top-6 with the best players in the league :nod:

The same feelings here. It's exciting that he gets to play with those two, but at the same time not quite as exciting as one would think due to what you wrote. I'm also a bit worried about Pulju having to adjust his role/game just before the season starts. He could bring life to the 2nd line but I have to say I'd be disappointed if Pulju would have neither McDavid nor Drai and he'd get whatever's left for the 2nd PP unit. Then again maybe Pulju's role with McDavid and Drai turns out to be more versatile as the season progresses and he hopefully gets some goals.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

The same feelings here. It's exciting that he gets to play with those two, but at the same time not quite as exciting as one would think due to what you wrote. I'm also a bit worried about Pulju having to adjust his role/game just before the season starts. He could bring life to the 2nd line but I have to say I'd be disappointed if Pulju would have neither McDavid nor Drai and he'd get whatever's left for the 2nd PP unit. Then again maybe Pulju's role with McDavid and Drai turns out to be more versatile as the season progresses and he hopefully gets some goals.

Agree with both of you. It sounds like ‘looking a gift horse in the mouth’ (or maybe a gift Bison? :D), but having Pulju as the puck retrieval hound is wasting his burgeoning skill.

I’m hoping they stay with

Hyman - McDavid - Pulju

for the reasons mentioned and also for greater depth.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Pulju and Hyman centered by Nuge either once Pulju is really hitting his stride.

Ideally I’d like to see something like this (as more of a full time lineup):

Draisaitl - McDavid - whoever (Kassian?)
Hyman - Nuge - Pulju
Foegele - Ryan - Yams
Perlini - Shore - Sceviour

Last edited:

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Now that the Oilers have better forward depth, it's time to separate McDavid and Draisaitl except for the PP and OT. They can't be a one line team going into the playoffs again.

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yam

Reactions: PulYou

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Imagine if Pulju never went back to Finland to find his game.

Could have been trading him for an AHL forward and D like the Canucks with Juolevi and saying “that’s about as best as we could expect”
You know I wonder how much of Perlini's seeming rejuvenation this preseason was related to just heading over to Switzerland to "reset" himself.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Laine is a major liability 95% of the ice, he also doesn't create much offense, just a generational finisher. JP is very good defensively.and creates more offense himself

* I dont think highly of Laine

Been saying this for awhile. Pulju overall game has shown better than PLD's and Laine's in recent history. Of course the mains would laugh at this notion cause they don't watch Oilers games and have no idea what we got in Pulju.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You know I wonder how much of Perlini's seeming rejuvenation this preseason was related to just heading over to Switzerland to "reset" himself.

I wonder the same.

Perlini sounds really humble and motivated in interviews. I think he came to the realization that he has the skill but needed to put in the work. This is also likely his last shot before being a guy playing it out in Europe.

I think both Perlini and Pulju have parallels in realizing they needed to use their size and speed to contribute in other ways and become more versatile players. Draft pedigree alone only carries you so far.

For Pulju, adding a stampeding bison element and refining his already good skills and defensive play. For Perlini, realizing that he can get in the dirty spots with his size and agility and knowing he had to work on his defensive play. (We’re fortunate that it didn’t really show on his boxcars in Europe or there might have been more demand for his skills).

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Could have been trading him for an AHL forward and D like the Canucks with Juolevi and saying “that’s about as best as we could expect”

I also followed the conversion about the rumoured trade of Pulju and Lias Andersson. Obviously Holland wanted a bit of extra in addition to Andersson, but the Rangers fans weren't even interested in a straight swap as they felt the floor of Andersson would be a 2C or 3C. In the end they ended up trading Andersson to LA for a 60th pick. Andersson scored 3+3 (-4) in 23 games last year so right now it doesn't look like he'd been a great value for Pulju.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
For Pulju, adding a stampeding bison element and refining his already good skills and defensive play.

I'd also like to add that Pulju wasn't as far from a ready product as many think as he'd have some good stretches in the NHL earlier. But at that time he didn't have barely any physicality in his game so that's made a massive difference. And yes he's definitely refined his skills and defensive play, which helps. And when you add the improved confidence and much better consistency there is a clear difference.

I also think his FEL team did a pretty good job with him:

- they gave him a lot of ice and PP (even some PK) responsibilities, many local fans felt even too much as they knew he'd be leaving the team in the middle of the season; also kept him on the ice at the end of games
- they made him the assistant captain
- they made him work with the juniors
- they said they were tough to Pulju in order to prepare him for difficulties
- they placed him between English speaking guys in the dressing room

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021

That's what most Oilers fans wanted lol. Not a very intelligent bunch: same ones are saying Jones is better than Keith

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I'd also like to add that Pulju wasn't as far from a ready product as many think as he'd have some good stretches in the NHL earlier. But at that time he didn't have barely any physicality in his game so that's made a massive difference. And yes he's definitely refined his skills and defensive play, which helps. And when you add the improved confidence and much better consistency there is a clear difference.

I also think his FEL team did a pretty good job with him:

- they gave him a lot of ice and PP (even some PK) responsibilities, many local fans felt even too much as they knew he'd be leaving the team in the middle of the season; also kept him on the ice at the end of games
- they made him the assistant captain
- they made him work with the juniors
- they said they were tough to Pulju in order to prepare him for difficulties
- they placed him between English speaking guys in the dressing room

Agreed that he seemed NHL ready regardless, but adding a physical element makes him even more dangerous and creates more space. Could be the difference between being a very good middle 6 winger to a top line winger.

Credit is absolutely due to the FEL club that prioritized him, the Oilers owe them for sure

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
That's what most Oilers fans wanted lol. Not a very intelligent bunch: same ones are saying Jones is better than Keith

I’ll admit that I was wanting them to explore trades when it seemed like he wasn’t coming back (took it personally as a fan of the team first), but didn’t want them to sell low. I’m glad he’s back and better than I hoped, and I was thrilled that he fell to us at the time

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Love the narrative people are spinning on this. To be clear I’m quoting your post, rather than others expressing similar sentiment, because you weren’t even here when those discussions were going on, so you have no posts to back up your hindsight.

First, ‘most’ fans, at least on this board, did not want Puljujarvi traded ‘for some AHL forward’. That’s nonsense.

Second, Puljujarvi did not approach the Oilers and say that he wanted to go back to Europe to work on his game and rekindle his love for the sport. That would have been reasonable. Rather, he went back because the Oilers didn’t immediately accommodate his two (three?) public trade demands, which were not reasonable.

Third, looking at the situation in hindsight the argument can easily be made that the Oilers did the right thing, not only for themselves, but for the player as well. Jesse wasn’t ready. He had maturity issues, language issues and he wasn’t buying into the team game by accepting a role that the coach wanted him to play. Had the club just traded him right away for ‘some AHL forward’ as you suggest, and as he and his agent wanted, would Puljujarvi be playing the kind of NHL game that he’s playing right now? I doubt it. In fact he could have even flamed out of the league for good like Yakupov.

The year+ in Europe was the best thing for all parties. The Oilers were correct to ignore the childish and public demands for a trade. To his credit, Jesse worked hard on improving his game, adjusted his attitude and came back a vastly different player. Everyone wins.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Nick Suzuki 8 yrs 63mil

JP will get 8 yrs 65-70 mil

JP will be the better player by end of season and his agent will use that 8 yrs 63mil as a base.

Reactions: PulYou

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Nick Suzuki 8 yrs 63mil

JP will be the better player by end of season and his agent will use that 8 yrs 63mil as a base.

Lets take a deep breath. Have to figure out if JP can be a play driver himself or just a good complimentary player that could disappear if taken away from McDavid. Suzuki is a driver and a #1 center so not a good comparison.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nick Suzuki 8 yrs 63mil

What a joke. Suzuki is light years ahead of Puljujarvi as a player. Suzuki will be the best player on his line for a long time. Puljujarvi will be the third best player on his line as the complimentary guy. Suzuki has superstar written all over him.

If you wanted to trade for Suzuki you would start by offering a package that includes Puljujarvi and Bouchard. That offer would be rejected by Montreal and rightfully so.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
What a joke. Suzuki is light years ahead of Puljujarvi as a player. Suzuki will be the best player on his line for a long time. Puljujarvi will be the third best player on his line as the complimentary guy. Suzuki has superstar written all over him.

If you wanted to trade for Suzuki you would start by offering a package that includes Puljujarvi and Bouchard. That offer would be rejected by Montreal and rightfully so.

Where Suzuki is ahead of Puljujärvi is his development. Montreal didn’t stall his development unlike... Suzuki played as a 19 yo five WJC-20 games with three assists. Pulju was 16 yo when he was chosen MVP at WJC with 17 points total. Pulju is slowly catching up his development and a joke is saying Suzuki is a lightyear ahead of him.

Reactions: Biltmore and Whyme

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the same jones who didnt make the opening night roster for the hawks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad