Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
This time last year fans were hoping he either turns into a 3rd line checking winger or traded for hopefully a 2nd rounder. Are we still making a trade for a 2nd now?

Reactions: PulYou

space321

May 11, 2011
Same.

Can't believe how many wanted to get rid of a 19 year old.

And so many just kept shitting on him as a person for daring to take a different path than others.

He ran into some hardship, and it's okay to take a step back to gather yourself, it takes a lot of courage to do that. And yet people were berating him for not continuing to stay in a toxic situation.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
For real. I want to go dig up all my posts from 2018/19 where I was seemingly one of the only believers in Jesse both among Oiler fans and especially on the main boards
I tried to dig up some of my old posts, but I think they have disappeared for good after the site moved. I first became aware of Jesse sometime in 2014 as a promising Finnish prospect. I really started paying attention to him after WJC 2015 (which I didn't watch for some reason) when he was making his Liiga debut. I'm from Rauma and we have our own Liiga team, but something really clicked for me when I watched Jesse play even if he was from the other side of the country and played for a team I had never cheered for.

Jesse's high event, unpredictable, whirlwind-like playing style was a revelation to me. The best part about watching Jesse play hockey is that it's like taking an anti-depressant. You just love to see a guy enjoy what they are doing for a living so much. It feels pretty nice, now that he is starting to find real success in the NHL.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Anyone else seeing huge Selke potential with Pulju? Guy literally never takes a shit or back check off. And is crazy effective at it. Add the offense which you need as well for Selke contention and I think it's in the cards some time in his career.
He’d probably have to move to center first, no? I cannot remember anymore when the Selke did not go to a center.

pucklove

Jan 30, 2004
Jere Letkinin (probably butchered the spelling). Never thought of him as a comparable but thinking back hmmm... think Jesse has more offensive upside though.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Jere Lehtinen won it last i think, he got it more than once too.

Lehtinen won it three times and is arguably the best defensive winger of all time. So let's not put Pulju up there with him just yet! On the other hand Jesse is playing a role many wingers don't - he plays more defense than his C. So maybe that makes it possible for him to be in the Selke-conversations in the future.

Reactions: Whyme

pucklove

Jan 30, 2004
My bad, I know using the word comparable seems to spark controversy. Poor word choice.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What happens if jp ends being to best player in his draft class? He already has the potential to be better than Laine and PLD.

I’d say he already is the better player if you look at the whole picture. Laine is an amazing goal scorer and has one of the best shots in the league. But other than that JP is your man. JP has the heart and determination of a bison, which IMO is the most important thing. Next season his value will surpass Laine’s.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
OMG you guys ease it on Jesse... lets see if he can play a regular NHL shift first, then see if he can actually contribute, then we can use the word Selke in the same paragraph as him... til then... overcooked big time... and NO he isn't better than Laine either.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Sharks fan here. Picked him up in fantasy...what's his projected totals look like for everyone? Can he pot 25 goals?

If he can steal some PP1 time from Hyman and continue clicking with McDavid like he can be a 60pt guy or better pretty easily. He makes for a great late round sleeper pick. Or you might even be able to pluck him off the waiver wire like I did.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Ah the JP crow thread.

I bet he could put both fists in his mouth at the same time…he’s a beast!

Seriously though, he’s been giving me a huge chubby this pre season. There is so much to like about him it’s not even funny. He’s a complete freight train out there! I absolutely loved when he layed out the flame against the boards and the whole play died for them and we almost scored because they wanted a piece of him so bad. All the while he’s just trying to skate back in the play like what’s the problem here, dats hockey play…lol. If he gets PP time this year I’m scared to think of what he’s going to be worth come contract time.

Nothing against Yamamoto but if it comes down to having to choose I’m team Jesse all the way.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Lehtinen won it three times and is arguably the best defensive winger of all time. So let's not put Pulju up there with him just yet! On the other hand Jesse is playing a role many wingers don't - he plays more defense than his C. So maybe that makes it possible for him to be in the Selke-conversations in the future.
"So let's not put Pulju up there with him just yet! " Nobody's doing that, some one asked when a winger last got a Selke and i said Lehtinen that's it.

Reactions: scott57

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Lock Bison man up for 8 years. With that contract we should get all his best years in the NHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
one of the major benefits of living in calgary was last night i got Jesse with my last pick in teh draft. yahoo has him ranked below players not even playing. Scooped him up and now i get to laugh as he scores 30

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
OMG you guys ease it on Jesse... lets see if he can play a regular NHL shift first, then see if he can actually contribute, then we can use the word Selke in the same paragraph as him... til then... overcooked big time... and NO he isn't better than Laine either.

Been there, done that.

Reactions: PulYou and Oilhawks

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

His games last year doesn’t count because…?

Please name one area besides shooting where Laine is better than Pulju.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Did last year not happen?

where he played a regular shift

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad