Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've been somewhat neutral on Puljujarvi in the past. I think he was picked too high in the draft BUT I also don't think he's going to bust like some seem to think he will.

I think there's an NHL player there... and probably a solid 2-way player at that. It just may take a little longer than some would like for that player to reach his ceiling.

Whether the Oilers have the patience for that player to develop here remains to be seen. I think he will be a solid NHL player in his future though... there's a lot of raw talent there. It will just take a solid development team to help him reach his full potential.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I've been somewhat neutral on Puljujarvi in the past. I think he was picked too high in the draft BUT I also don't think he's going to bust like some seem to think he will.

I think there's an NHL player there... and probably a solid 2-way player at that. It just may take a little longer than some would like for that player to reach his ceiling.

Whether the Oilers have the patience for that player to develop here remains to be seen. I think he will be a solid NHL player in his future though... there's a lot of raw talent there. It will just take a solid development team to help him reach his full potential.

Yakupov in KHL says hi.

Don't ever bet on this org being to hone something out of a project as difficult as this. Since Yakupov had actually found some semblance of scoring touch and then lost it I wonder if this project is more difficult in that Pulju hasn't even really arrived in two seasons here.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jokinen, a seasoned veteran, came here, figured he could help, but then evaluated the student and then wanted out of here as quick as possible? Everything in Jokinens play suggested he didn't want to be here and we know that the Oilers were setting up the mentorship role for him with Pulju. That was one of the most apparent things we've seen. But Jokinen plays his way out, is not involved in any way, is benched and scratched and soon sent away. People will remember he played differently for at least a brief spell the moment he left here.
So Jokinen signed in Edmonton almost entirely based on being a mentor for Jesse f***ing Puljujarvi, realized he was going to be a bust almost from his first game in Edmonton and then decided to play like shit in order to get traded?

Wow

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So Jokinen signed in Edmonton almost entirely based on being a mentor for Jesse ****ing Puljujarvi, realized he was going to be a bust almost from his first game in Edmonton and then decided to play like **** in order to get traded?

Wow

Its just a comment that Jokinen quite clearly had no interest in playing here for whatever reason from the start. If you watched LA games after seeing Jokinen here you would think they were completely different players. He actually still had some brief moments of usefulness in LA. Even in game against Edmonton in which posters commented about "Where was that Jokinen"

He's old, I would never have recruited him, but Jokinen quite clearly dogged it here which the coach regognized and scratched him twice, benched him multiple times and within a 14 game run. I'm hard pressed to find one other player example here in the last decade of a player so obviously and so quickly not wanting to be here.

If you don't think Jokinen was playing to get punted what were you watching. he was horrible. I'm just wondering if there was a reason for that.

Theres no question whatsoever that the Oilers signed Jokinen to be a mentor for Pulju and to even probably play with him. There is no indication Jokinen, with limited signing options wanted the same.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So Jokinen signed in Edmonton almost entirely based on being a mentor for Jesse ****ing Puljujarvi, realized he was going to be a bust almost from his first game in Edmonton and then decided to play like **** in order to get traded?

Wow
And then he did the same in Los Angeles and Columbus, and would have continued to do it in Vancouver had the Canucks re-signed him this summer. Diabolical.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Its just a comment that Jokinen quite clearly had no interest in playing here for whatever reason from the start. If you watched LA games after seeing Jokinen here you would think they were completely different players. He actually still had some brief moments of usefulness in LA. Even in game against Edmonton in which posters commented about "Where was that Jokinen"

He's old, I would never have recruited him, but Jokinen quite clearly dogged it here which the coach regognized and scratched him twice, benched him multiple times and within a 14 game run. I'm hard pressed to find one other player example here in the last decade of a player so obviously and so quickly not wanting to be here.

If you don't think Jokinen was playing to get punted what were you watching. he was horrible. I'm just wondering if there was a reason for that.

Theres no question whatsoever that the Oilers signed Jokinen to be a mentor for Pulju and to even probably play with him. There is no indication Jokinen, with limited signing options wanted the same.

I would think Jokinen showed up unprepared to start the season for whatever reason (age, lack of training) and completely shat the bed, so he was let go.
Then in LA realizing it could be his last chance stepped up his game in the beginning trying to make a good impression - but wasnt good enough still and was let go.
Then in Columbus he wasnt good enough either and was let go. My guess would be a mix of him sucking + confidence at a lowpoint.
Then in Vancouver, he realized it was his last absolute last chance to earn a contract so he played his ass, took advantage of key top6 injuries (Horvat and Boeser both out iirc) and good minutes. Put up good numbers and put himself in the best position to remain in the NHL.
But it didnt work yet as he is still a UFA

I agree the Oilers signed him with some intention of him being a mentor for Pulju, sure.
But I dont think mentoring Jesse Puljujarvi played even the slightest of roles in him deciding to sign here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

There is a different between wondering if there is a reason, and essentially suggesting the reason is because Puljujarvi sucked. Puljujarvi played his first game this season 2 days before Jokinen was traded away. Pretty incredible for him to have figured Puljujarvi out in the pre-season... did they even play together in the pre-season?

Of note, despite being a "completely different player" with LA, he played 4 more games with them than he did with the Oilers before he ended up on waivers.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I would think Jokinen showed up unprepared to start the season for whatever reason (age, lack of training) and completely shat the bed, so he was let go.
Then in LA realizing it could be his last chance stepped up his game in the beginning trying to make a good impression - but wasnt good enough still and was let go.
Then in Columbus he wasnt good enough either and was let go. My guess would be a mix of him sucking + confidence at a lowpoint.
Then in Vancouver, he realized it was his last absolute last chance to earn a contract so he played his ass, took advantage of key top6 injuries (Horvat and Boeser both out iirc) and good minutes. Put up good numbers and put himself in the best position to remain in the NHL.
But it didnt work yet as he is still a UFA

I agree the Oilers signed him with some intention of him being a mentor for Pulju, sure.
But I dont think mentoring Jesse Puljujarvi played even the slightest of roles in him deciding to sign here.

I never said it did. I said I don't think Jokinen wanted the role, but that the Oilers wanted him to have the role. I wouldn't want it either. There was even some suggestion McD and Drai didn't particularly want it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There is a different between wondering if there is a reason, and essentially suggesting the reason is because Puljujarvi sucked. Puljujarvi played his first game this season 2 days before Jokinen was traded away. Pretty incredible for him to have figured Puljujarvi out in the pre-season... did they even play together in the pre-season?

Of note, despite being a "completely different player" with LA, he played 4 more games with them than he did with the Oilers before he ended up on waivers.

That Pulju sucked is undeniable.

How long do you think it would take to "figure out" Puljujarvi and that at the least this is one huge project.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Maybe Pulju sucked cause he didnt want Jokinen to mentor him, and it brought down his confidence and ruined his whole season.

The common denominator is Pulju sucked. The rest is superfluous and just guesses. Which is all that I was positing on another no news day which is basically every offseason day as Chia does much of nothing with his summers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That Pulju sucked is undeniable.

How long do you think it would take to "figure out" Puljujarvi and that at the least this is one huge project.
I've been saying Pulju has sucked the entire time.

Just don't buy into any pseudo psychology trying to suggest that the reason a player was garbage here is because he didn't believe in Puljuajrvi. It's nonsense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I've been saying Pulju has sucked the entire time.

Just don't buy into any pseudo psychology trying to suggest that the reason a player was garbage here is because he didn't believe in Puljuajrvi. It's nonsense.

It was nothing more than a flipside. A response to a thought of another poster. Really I don't care enough about Pulju or Jokinen to argue the point. they were both junk.

So I had a wrong thought of a suspicion or theory..;)

probably the primary reason I had it is my general opinion of Puljujarvi and my thinking that he's a disconnected controller type linemate. More like a random molecule.

I'll put it this way. If this was football, and Pulju was a receiver the QB would learn quickly not to throw the ball his way. There is no reinforcement for doing so.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Oh yeah. Jokinen was so great for the Kings that they waived him about two months later.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oh yeah. Jokinen was so great for the Kings that they waived him about two months later.

Seems like everybody missed I said he was better initially with LA. Of course it didn't last, Jokinen is useless at this age.

This was always going to be a garbage pickup for anybody and I said that when we acquired him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The common denominator is Pulju sucked. The rest is superfluous and just guesses. Which is all that I was positing on another no news day which is basically every offseason day as Chia does much of nothing with his summers.

I think you want Pulju to suck...
th

cuz you still have attachment issues to Yakupov:naughty:

JK. I don't think JP sucked, but people blaming the coaches need to take their blinders off. JP didn't earn much last year, and the coaches still rewarded him regardless. TM handled JP rather well imo

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think you want Pulju to suck...
th

cuz you still have attachment issues to Yakupov:naughty:

JK. I don't think JP sucked, but people blaming the coaches need to take their blinders off. JP didn't earn much last year, and the coaches still rewarded him regardless. TM handled JP rather well imo

haha.

Yak initially was a likeable player on the ice. In prospects camp in rookie season scoring 17G/48gp.

My problem with Pulju stems from it being two years and hever really seeing him be good for more than say 2 games.

That I liked Yak tells me I'm capable of liking any player for awhile. But they have to show some reason in play to like..

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
haha.

Yak initially was a likeable player on the ice. In prospects camp in rookie season scoring 17G/48gp.

My problem with Pulju stems from it being two years and hever really seeing him be good for more than say 2 games.

That I liked Yak tells me I'm capable of liking any player for awhile. But they have to show some reason in play to like..

My only problem with JP is that he showed up unprepared and yet TM seems to be taking unnecessary heat

I think he has all the tools., but just hasn't grasped being a pro, or what it takes to transition to one

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My only problem with JP is that he showed up unprepared and yet TM seems to be taking unnecessary heat

I think he has all the tools., but just hasn't grasped being a pro, or what it takes to transition to one
Totally agreed. But that's one major problem. Its essentially not even accepting being a pro, except the pay is good.

Unfortunately the death of many touted careers in pro sports is not really following what it takes to be a pro athlete and what is all involved in terms of commitment. This player doesn't even recognize shift to shift commitment or attempts at consistency.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Totally agreed. But that's one major problem. Its essentially not even accepting being a pro, except the pay is good.

Unfortunately the death of many touted careers in pro sports is not really following what it takes to be a pro athlete and what is all involved in terms of commitment. This player doesn't even recognize shift to shift commitment or attempts at consistency.

That comes with age. We saw it with Seguin, and with Hall to some degree. As people mature, they begin to understand the commitment it takes to being a pro athlete. (I'm not saying JP is either Seguin or Hall in terms of skillset). I think with Yak, that realization (if at all) was made too late. He just wanted to play his own game and didn't adapt as per the team's or coach's direction.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jokinen, a seasoned veteran, came here, figured he could help, but then evaluated the student and then wanted out of here as quick as possible?

I don't mean to start arguments or anything, but I don't see any chance for this. Knowing Jokinen and Puljujarvi and their background I'm sure he'd absolutely loved to be able to help Jesse. Jokinen didn't play well enough, but to be fair he wasn't the only one struggling at that time.

The spring season was tough, but the start of Jesse's season was great, and Jokinen had been gone a long time before his game started to decline.

By the way, I do know as a fact that Jesse is very dedicated to training hard and eating healthily during the summer. I can't go into details, but now I'm 100% sure that the pizza image doesn't do him justice, at least when it comes to taking one's career seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il and PulYou

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't mean to start arguments or anything, but I don't see any chance for this. Knowing Jokinen and Puljujarvi and their background I'm sure he'd absolutely loved to be able to help Jesse. Jokinen didn't play well enough, but to be fair he wasn't the only one struggling at that time.

The spring season was tough, but the start of Jesse's season was great, and Jokinen had been gone a long time before his game started to decline.

By the way, I do know as a fact that Jesse is very dedicated to training hard and eating healthily during the summer. I can't go into details, but now I'm 100% sure that the pizza image doesn't do him justice, at least when it comes to taking one's career seriously.

Jokinen just wanted the contract and Edmonton was stupid enough to give him one. That's pretty much all there was too it. Chia got played like the fool that he is.

JP always had the physical tools. It's the mental part that so many have been saying he's lacking. I think if he pans out, he'll be jack of all trades, expert at none kind of player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jokinen just wanted the contract and Edmonton was stupid enough to give him one. That's pretty much all there was too it. Chia got played like the fool that he is.

JP always had the physical tools. It's the mental part that so many have been saying he's lacking. I think if he pans out, he'll be jack of all trades, expert at none kind of player.
Jokinen was a good candidate for a bounce back season, which clearly didn’t happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad