Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2011
His smile is the best! He even admitted that in one of the Oiler video (maybe from development camp)? Anyway, high numbers are more common now, so 98 works just fine.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
agree 100%, i think the mods should even step in and say something to the person in question.... that is not in good taste at all.... especially for an 18 year old kid who just moved to our country.... TRY and show some class

Meant no offense by it. Was going for a Halloween angle, guess I should have tried to find a Batman pic. Love the kid as a person and a player.

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
agree 100%, i think the mods should even step in and say something to the person in question.... that is not in good taste at all.... especially for an 18 year old kid who just moved to our country.... TRY and show some class

I think people are just having some fun. He has a great big smile and a giant head. I've certainly never thought it was offensive.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I'm offended when you say someone is out for the season after every injury.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I will not stop saying this: you get that kid the friggin puck on the PP!!! Has an elite shot. Didn't get one sniff of a one-timer. Again. Same story as pre-season

I was saying the same thing, it's so puzzling why that play is not designed for the kid. It's well documented the kid can let it rip and demonstrated that fact on a couple of occasions already. I was impressed at the amount of power he was able to generate when he reached out to steal the puck and rip it pass Elliot while in a stand still position. You can see how he appears to look forward to getting the pass on the left half wall and unleash that wicked 1 timer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I was saying the same thing, it's so puzzling why that play is not designed for the kid. It's well documented the kid can let it rip and demonstrated that fact on a couple of occasions already. I was impressed at the amount of power he was able to generate when he reached out to steal the puck and rip it pass Elliot while in a stand still position. You can see how he appears to look forward to getting the pass on the left half wall and unleash that wicked 1 timer.

Yep the pass was the multiple times for his one timer. Almost seemed as if Sekera was told to just "get the puck to Connor". If Jesse can unload that one timer with success a few times it will create a lot more space for Connor on the other side because teams for the first time in forever will have to respect a point shot from our PP. Credit to TMac for putting Jesse out there and realizing his strengths and playing to them.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Yep the pass was the multiple times for his one timer. Almost seemed as if Sekera was told to just "get the puck to Connor". If Jesse can unload that one timer with success a few times it will create a lot more space for Connor on the other side because teams for the first time in forever will have to respect a point shot from our PP. Credit to TMac for putting Jesse out there and realizing his strengths and playing to them.

I thought he was playing with rnh on the powerplay. I remember a PP in the first where they were working very well together.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I thought he was playing with rnh on the powerplay. I remember a PP in the first where they were working very well together.

Yes you are correct. I thought he looked good on the PP as well, really want to see that one timer though.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Interesting bit about the "language barrier" from Zibanejad:
Pavel Buchnevich - the first Russian in the Rangers since Artem Anisimov - does as Malkin did and uses a translator when answering questions from the media after the morning warm-up. Apparently he doesn't speak very much English at all, but according to his new line mate Zibanejad that is not necessarily a problem:
- It's the other way around actually. When you are not able to communicate that much the things you say on the ice become very clear and simple, and that can be really useful.

Not that I think that Jesse really has a problem with language, but since it has been brought up a couple times here I thought I'd add to that.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
What amazes me about his shot is how much velocity he can get behind it without charging it up too much. It releases so quick and unexpectedly.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Better send Pulju down than to play him for seven minutes in the NHL. Seems like the coach doesn't trust him, so why gnaw away at the kid's confifence. One would think that given there's only a nine game period until the ELC kicks in that they would give him a proper chance. As a Finn the situation is a bit reminiscent of the way the Avs handled Rantanen last year. Of course, the second PP didn't get that much ice since the first unit had such good success, but I don't see a reason why he only got six minutes on even strength.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, they need to give him more minutes wherever that is. Playing him for 7 minutes a game would be disastrous for his development.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
Better send Pulju down than to play him for seven minutes in the NHL. Seems like the coach doesn't trust him, so why gnaw away at the kid's confifence. One would think that given there's only a nine game period until the ELC kicks in that they would give him a proper chance. As a Finn the situation is a bit reminiscent of the way the Avs handled Rantanen last year. Of course, the second PP didn't get that much ice since the first unit had such good success, but I don't see a reason why he only got six minutes on even strength.

We'll see, he's just going to have to play more games. If he hits 9 games and he's still looking the same he'll get sent down.

He's getting good linemates, matchups, etc, and Slepyshev got scratched in favour of him. 7 mins in this game just comes down to bench management due to how the game went. He's at the bottom of the totem pole for trust as an 18 year old playing his second game, I'd say it's to be expected. He isn't driving play or generating much for offence but he's also not making any glaring errors. He's in the right place to support the play. It's not like his linemates are doing anything amazing either, and I'm not sure that's Pulju's fault.

I think there's a chance he sticks, he just needs to become more comfortable and get some confidence to start making some plays. If it doesnt happen in 9 games I wouldn't be surprised if he got called up later on if he's rippin the AHL.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If they aren't going to play him and plan to send him down, I really hope they save at least 4 or 5 games of his 9 to be used later this year. Would love to see how he looks after some AHL time, without the price of giving up that ELC year.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

I think they try to get a playoff spot. This isn't the time coach starts to gamble with the victory. If that means Pulju gets seven minutes, proper chance or not, then that is what he should get.

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Weird How Puljujarvi was handled last game, must have done something coach didn't like, same thing happens to Slepyshev too always gets low minutes.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think they try to get a playoff spot. This isn't the time coach starts to play with the victory. If that means Pulju gets seven minutes, proper chance or not, then that is what he should get.

I understand it from the coach's perspective, but not from a developmental or cap managerial perspective. Of course to be honest, mostly I dislike it because I want to see Pulju thrive, which is next to impossible while playing under 10 minutes per game. I just hope it won't become a trend.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If they aren't going to play him and plan to send him down, I really hope they save at least 4 or 5 games of his 9 to be used later this year. Would love to see how he looks after some AHL time, without the price of giving up that ELC year.

Yeah I'm hoping they send him down when Caggiula's back. He hasnt missed any Bakersfield games yet so its not really hurting him being here and learning with the team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Weird How Puljujarvi was handled last game, must have done something coach didn't like, same thing happens to Slepyshev too always gets low minutes.

He's an 18 year old rookie who isn't particularly composed anywhere on the ice at the NHL level yet. He wasn't going to play in the 3rd period when the Oilers were up protecting a lead.

That's just how it works when a coach wants to win a game in this league.

6God*

He's an 18 year old rookie who isn't particularly composed anywhere on the ice at the NHL level yet. He wasn't going to play in the 3rd period when the Oilers were up protecting a lead.

That's just how it works when a coach wants to win a game in this league.

Yeah I mean if we're winning and this is the strategy I'm not going to complain. Sometimes sitting on the bench and learning how to win by watching veterans protect a lead is just as useful for development as actually being out there learning by trial-and-error (2006-2016 Oiler strategy).

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Waaaaay to timid. Needs to grow his game, not nhl ready.

Let him have his 8 or 9 games, and let him develop like he should.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Meant no offense by it. Was going for a Halloween angle, guess I should have tried to find a Batman pic. Love the kid as a person and a player.

I think people are just having some fun. He has a great big smile and a giant head. I've certainly never thought it was offensive.

fair enough, you changed your avatar, so good on you

I'm offended when you say someone is out for the season after every injury.

lol, it's not EVERY time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad