Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 66 26.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 128 52.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
The front office is not “goofball” this time. Maybe mishandling a little but the offer is way more than fair.

I have no idea what his trade value even is after this very public debacle, but we need to find a solid backup for Corpse and a 2nd line RW and move on from the Sway drama.
I’m all in on Korpisalo. I still can’t believe how well Donny did on the Ullmark trade. Kastelic alone was a steal.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud and DKH

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Rask had an even better playoff run than Swayman did last year, led them to the Cup finals. Maybe if Swayman gets them to the finals we could have the same conversation.

Rask also had many times where he gagged away series and refused to take responsibility for his lackluster play. What's your point?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I don’t think Cam and Sweeney are leaking info to the 17th placed sports talk show host who never gets anything right.
It's amazing that there is an excuse for everything the Bruins may or may not have done.

Will you be ready to pat Don and Cam on the back if Swayman wants a trade and Ullmark's gone? Job well done?

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes, I do. But his numbers were still much better than Swayman. And that’s got a lot more negotiating power than losing in the 2nd round.

Rask had a .940 SV% in the playoffs the season before he signed his extension. Swayman had a .933 SV% these past playoffs. It's better, but not by a significant margin.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If Sway can’t “settle for” 8/64 then a trade needs to be made. That kind of money is already insane when you consider he’s never even been a number one goalie.

He needs to go. I wanted to give him a blank check a couple months ago, but this is nuts. This is NOT going to have a happy ending here.

Buh-bye, Sway.
48 hours are just about here since Cam spilled the beans how high Jacobs authorized Sweeney to go at this time

Gross/Sway should be in or out on Bruins ~ if he’s out on them we should get a trade request leaked lol

Going to be tough to trade unless he takes the qualifier and the team getting works on long term (unless it’s Columbus who has lots of room at this time)

I’m Gross even if I have him under spell I wouldn’t trust Swayman not dumping me

Dreger says Bruins want to keep him

Sway seems very unlike earlier days here, over the last year for some reason

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The front office is not “goofball” this time. Maybe mishandling a little but the offer is way more than fair.

I have no idea what his trade value even is after this very public debacle, but we need to find a solid backup for Corpse and a 2nd line RW and move on from the Sway drama.
I’m all in on Korpisalo. I still can’t believe how well Donny did on the Ullmark trade. Kastelic alone was a steal.
Kastelic would have been over the glass and in the stands at MSG on December 23, 1979 had he been in that game

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It's amazing that there is an excuse for everything the Bruins may or may not have done.

Will you be ready to pat Don and Cam on the back if Swayman wants a trade and Ullmark's gone? Job well done?
Yes…management and players stick to the bruin culture and team makeup. Don’t risk $8+ unproven greedy player. Good return in expiring contract Ullmark. Swayman and ego is the issue here … not the Bruins. Not sure how any bruin fan can defend Swayman. Strange to me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Now you even know what future holds. Shit, teams should be paying you 8/64 for telling every hockey player's future career.

You are even more butthurt than Swayman. Donnie Harvard this and that. BTW what is your academic career, because you sure seem to hate highly educated people.

And Swayman want's almost same money with 134gp and one allstar game :).
I could be “butthurt”. Or I could simply see how inept and woefully bad at their jobs Sweeney and Neely are, and realize that those two clowns are what’s holding the team back from being a true contender.

But yeah, it could be butthurt.

Reactions: Smitty93

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Would you find it interesting that Saros was also playing behind a top notch Vezina level goaltender and the type of deal he signed for his third pro contract when it looked like he was the heir apparent?

Saros has 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th place finishes for the Vezina. He's also lead the league in games played for three straight years. He's proven to be a workhorse. Yes, that's a better resume.
Oooh! He finished 5th and 7th? Well shit. That changes everything!!! How about him never winning a playoff series? Does that matter to you? Because it does to me. I couldn’t give a flying f*** about individual awards if you can’t win in the post season.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yes…management and players stick to the bruin culture and team makeup. Don’t risk $8+ unproven greedy player. Good return in expiring contract Ullmark. Swayman and ego is the issue here … not the Bruins. Not sure how any bruin fan can defend Swayman. Strange to me.
Good return for Ullmark?

I’m defending Swayman for asking for what he thinks he’s worth. I don’t begrudge anyone ever. If what is said is true and the bruins have been at 7.5 and Swayman 9.5 I can’t see why neither really wants to move. Then the 8 mil vs 9mil thing surfaces. To me, to lose him or trade him over a million a year is penny wise and a pound foolish. To “win” a negotiation and maybe lose the player is stupid to me

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Good return for Ullmark?

I’m defending Swayman for asking for what he thinks he’s worth. I don’t begrudge anyone ever. If what is said is true and the bruins have been at 7.5 and Swayman 9.5 I can’t see why neither really wants to move. Then the 8 mil vs 9mil thing surfaces. To me, to lose him or trade him over a million a year is penny wise and a pound foolish. To “win” a negotiation and maybe lose the player is stupid to me
iMO the bruins were more than fair approaching his contract. His demands are out there in LaLa land. I don’t see how this is on the bruins. You see otherwise l. So be it.

Reactions: BTO and Bodit9

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Can anyone explain why the Bruin chose not to take the arbitration award for two years and instead took one? I don't understand why that wouldn't mean anything to Swayman that the Bruins could have had him this year for 3 4 million but instead chose to negotiate a new deal for him and pay him.
My thought was it was a good faith move. Give sway a chance to negotiate a better deal a year early.

Therewolf31

Jul 24, 2024
So what happen to the Cap availability if he's not signed by the start of the season? Is it pro-rated lower as the season goes on? I'm asking because I read that the B's offer would drop as the year progresses.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
iMO the bruins were more than fair approaching his contract. His demands are out there in LaLa land. I don’t see how this is on the bruins. You see otherwise l. So be it.
Again not saying he should get 9.5, just not begrudging him is all. Not calling him names. Personally I would give him 9 if that's what it took and I realize it's overpayment right now, but I have faith in him and I believe ages 25-33 will be his best work. It's ideal he can leave at 33 instead of going 4 years then 8 years. I still think he and Sweeney in a room would have a deal in 30 minutes, his agent and Neely are tools in this but I guess it's their role

I'd like to know when the Bruins went up to 7.5 To me that's when negotiations started

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
LOL @ the expectation that a player who is among the very best at his position and still improving accept less than 8 million. That's some kind of entitlement from Bruins fans.
Haven’t seen too many fans saying he should take less then 8x8. Seems most say thats fair for both sides. But that doesn’t fit the pro Sway agenda

Reactions: BTO and Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad