Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Trade

Votes: 55 47.4%

• Total voters

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Clearly someone in swaymans camp is leaking stuff to them if this ends up being true.

The statement thing not the Detroit thing
Gross bout to go nuclear

I think with his demands being public, the pool of teams that would be calling about him would be limited. That said the Bruins still hold some leverage as they don't have to make a move. They're content to wait it out.
what if his demands are 4/30?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t care if hockey players care what teammates make compared to them. Thats not how contracts comps work and if you don’t believe that its fine believe whatever you want.

Does he care charlie mac makes more then him? No one knows but him. Will it be discussed in his contract comps. Nope

It's a negotiation, not a game of comparable contract one-upmanship.

You mean to tell me Lewis Gross can't challenge Don Sweeney and ask him why he doesn't value his client Swayman as much as he does Lindholm based on the offers made? What does Don Sweeney say when Gross asks him why he is willing to pay Lindholm 7.75 over 7 at age 29 coming off two down seasons but only willing to pay 25-year old Swayman 8 x 8 after a strong season?

Sweeney says to Gross Swayman is still unproven. Gross then counters with you didn't have a problem with that when it came to McAvoy's deal. See how that works?

What is Sweeney's reaction to Gross bringing up contracts offered and signed by Sweeney himself to position players? Does he kick him out of the room? Does he hang up the phone? Does he end the conference call?

You make it sound like there are rules to these negotiations and some topics like other contracts signed by the GM are out-of-bounds for the negotiation because those are skaters and not goaltenders. This isn't arbitration in front of some judge here. There are no rules as to what an agent and player can try to use to win their argument or frame their position.

Honestly if anyone is an agent and they aren't trying to drum up every argument in the book to try and get the best deal for their client they are doing it wrong. In this case, if I'm 25-year old Swayman I have a legitimate beef making a mere 1.75 million more than 29-year old Elias Lindholm over the next 7 years. That's an argument I think I can win so yes, I'll make that comparison. Once again, there are no rules to this.

Yeah, if I'm an agent in a hardball negotiation, you can be damn sure I'm bringing up contracts previously signed by my opposing GM. I don't think that is off-limits. Especially when those contracts are comparable in value to what your offering my client and the ink on those contracts isn't even dry yet.

If this was as simple as two parties negotiating off ONLY comparable goalie contracts, this issue is already resolved months ago, one way or the other.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Gross bout to go nuclear

Lose lose if he does. Proves he leaked the original stuff to chiclets and that 8/8 isn’t close.

You mean to tell me Lewis Gross can't challenge Don Sweeney and ask him why he doesn't value his client Swayman as much as he does Lindholm based on the offers made? What does Don Sweeney say when Gross asks him why he is willing to pay Lindholm 7.75 over 7 at age 29 coming off two down seasons but only willing to pay 25-year old Swayman 8 x 8 after a strong season?

Sweeney says to Gross Swayman is still unproven. Gross then counters with you didn't have a problem with that when it came to McAvoy's deal. See how that works?

What is Sweeney's reaction to Gross bringing up contracts offered and signed by Sweeney himself to position players? Does he kick him out of the room? Does he hang up the phone? Does he end the conference call?

You make it sound like there are rules to these negotiations and some topics like other contracts signed by the GM are out-of-bounds for the negotiation because those are skaters and not goaltenders. This isn't arbitration in front of some judge here. There are no rules as to what an agent and player can try to use to win their argument or frame their position.

Honestly if anyone is an agent and they aren't trying to drum up every argument in the book to try and get the best deal for their client they are doing it wrong. In this case, if I'm 25-year old Swayman I have a legitimate beef making a mere 1.75 million more than 29-year old Elias Lindholm over the next 7 years. That's an argument I think I can win so yes, I'll make that comparison. Once again, there are no rules to this.

Yeah, if I'm an agent in a hardball negotiation, you can be damn sure I'm bringing up contracts previously signed by my opposing GM. I don't think that is off-limits. Especially when those contracts are comparable in value to what your offering my client and the ink on those contracts isn't even dry yet.

If this was as simple as two parties negotiating off ONLY comparable goalie contracts, this issue is already resolved months ago, one way or the other.

You absolutely despise that lindholm deal eh?

I’d argue that McAvoy was much more proven when he got his deal.

He’d been the Bruins #1 defenseman for years by that point with two top 5 norris finishes.

Reactions: Over the volcano

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Lose lose if he does. Proves he leaked the original stuff to chiclets and that 8/8 isn’t close.

He’d been the Bruins #1 defenseman for years by that point.
Leaking it and flat out saying it like the Neely are two different things. One is gamesmanship and one is stupidity

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Most are good with $8M for 8 years. That’s a boatload for a goalie. Your quibble is not giving him $9.5M

I would go higher if that is what it took. I think there are many legitimate arguments that Swayman is worth more than 8 million per over 8 years with a rising salary cap. I don't like nickel and diming homegrown stars just to commit to older, lesser players from outside the organization like they did this summer. I don't know what else there is to say about it.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I would go higher if that is what it took. I think there are many legitimate arguments that Swayman is worth more than 8 million per over 8 years with a rising salary cap. I don't like nickel and diming homegrown stars just to commit to older, lesser players from outside the organization like they did this summer. I don't know what else there is to say about it.
Agreed. I don't really get the mentality of looking at a contract and just going off the first couple years and not the entire age of the deal. If you overpay for him a little now who cares.

I bet Swayman said 9.5 for 8 or something more reasonable for 4 and Neely wants no part of the 4 and shockingly didn't let that out. I am guessing we will find out the other side at some point.

Reactions: BruinDust

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Zero chance they trade swayman
He will sign eventually probably sooner than later
But one thing is for sure like I said he will definitely not be traded

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
After how open he was about arbitration last season and was pissed about it, I had a feeling this re-signing wasn't going to be easy.

But I definitely didn't expect this apparent stalemate.

Sucks

Reactions: BMC

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I'd also go higher, and I bet the bruins would too if they really had to. I don't think it's a coincidence that they left enough cap space to give him 8.5mil AAV and still being able to carry a full 23 man roster. The issue is that Sway seems to want to reset the goalie market, which is kind of an insane ask for someone with his limited resume.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

Sweeney says it's an apples to oranges comparison and completely dismisses it. Just like everyone else on this thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'd also go higher, and I bet the bruins would too if they really had to. I don't think it's a coincidence that they left enough cap space to give him 8.5mil AAV and still being able to carry a full 23 man roster. The issue is that Sway seems to want to reset the goalie market, which is kind of an insane ask for someone with his limited resume.
Guy has never been a full time #1 and hasn't seen 150 games in the league.

Amazing what he's demanding considering it all.

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I cant believe we are still saying this, but

Can't ruin =/= Reset
It’s a distinction without a difference, imo. Regardless, it’s now $8m or bust.

Edit: also, regardless, if he wants/wanted $9.5m, whether that constitutes “setting” or “not ruining” is moot. $9.5 is $9.5, whether that’s “setting” or “not ruining” is beside the point as it’s still $9.5m.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He’d been the Bruins #1 defenseman for years by that point with two top 5 norris finishes.

I'm not a fan of it, no. I said that before he signed, months before actually so it's not hindsight. This league gets progressively younger ever year. The oldest players left are a few remnants from the 2003-2006 drafts. Smart money says Lindholm is gone from the league before the end of his deal.

To see this franchise risk losing Swayman by saying he's basically worth to them what Lindholm is just makes the Lindholm contract that much more galling.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Yah. thats not going to work. Good plan though.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad