Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nORRis8 and lopey

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Trimmed how ? Freddy is up after this season as well as a few others.... It's not as simple as you say what do you think 37 63 33 40 all took team friendly deals? To keep the team competitive if they paid those guys what they were worth we wouldn't have been able to sign a lot of other players that made us competitive the past decade Plus no way should we be paying a guy that won one playoff round in his career and has never played more than 44 regular season gamesmore than 7 million dollars

You make 2 different arguments. 1) That Swayman hasn't proven himself as a number 1, so therefor doesn't deserve no.1 money and 2) You can never pay no.1 money because then you won't be able to sign David Backes or extend Mike Reilly for more than he deserves.

1) I think Swayman has shown enough to think he's going to be a long term no.1
2) I'm ok with paying a goalie big money because I care more about the top of the roster than paying the Nick Folignos and Derek Forborts of the world 3m.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Maybe? Depends on whether Lindholm is healthy, and how Coyle looks. Given Linholm isn't healthy right now, its hard to guess what he's going to look like and whether he'll be in the lineup. And Coyle to me is a guy like Geekie and others that you're really slotting up to spots they're not ideally suited for because the holes. He had a good season production wise last year, but that season is the anomaly in his career so far. Until he does it again, it's hard to expect him to equal or surpass that.

Coyle produced more because he wasn't playing on the third line anymore.

DeBrusk played mostly on the 2nd line and produced just about the same as Frederic and Geekie.

Wasn't Lindholm practicing today?

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Coyle produced more because he wasn't playing on the third line anymore.

DeBrusk played mostly on the 2nd line and produced just about the same as Frederic and Geekie.

Wasn't Lindholm practicing today?
They’ve played him up and down the line up for years. Last season was the only time he produced that way. He’s got way more seasons of sub 18 goals than 20+ goals.

And that still doesn’t cover Lindholm being hurt, and possibly declining. Nor does it cover the lie best goalie not playing, to bring this back on topic.

That’s a lot of chaos to overcome. Especially the Sway contract issues.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
It's obvious Swayman is not worth that kind of money, but Donald dug his own grave by trading Ullmark for nothing and not even generating any cap space.

A creative GM would have traded Swayman for a king's ransom last year and we would be heading for a cup contending season.
I'm not attempting to single you out but only to make a point ... Sweeney did try to trade Ullmark at the last deadline but Ullmark said no (his right). I have no idea what that return would have netted other than rumors, do you?
It does kind of show that Boston at that point was obviously going to commit the future to Swayman in goal. Ullmark had some control over where he was delt limiting Sweeney's option even if we would like to think otherwise.

It's now more a matter of agreing on Swayman's worth both now and in the future. Eventually I believe this will get settled because I don't think Swayman will want to sit for too long. Swayman can sit out but Boston controls how much he gets paid regardless of the squacking coming from Swayman's camp. Basically Swayman has two choices.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They’ve played him up and down the line up for years. Last season was the only time he produced that way. He’s got way more seasons of sub 18 goals than 20+ goals.

And that still doesn’t cover Lindholm being hurt, and possibly declining. Nor does it cover the lie best goalie not playing, to bring this back on topic.

That’s a lot of chaos to overcome. Especially the Sway contract issues.

Last season was the only time he played consistently in the top 6.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Tough to do when you see all these other young guys coming off ELC's and getting 8yr deals for $8 million+

You see teams shelling out big contract for less proven guys, but goalies don't get that same treatment. Goalies for some reason need to be superstars with numerous accolades before getting paid

Because the vast majority of goalies can swing from elite results to below average results in a given year. Even the good ones. Imagine if forwards like Pasta went from 60 to 15 goals year to year. You would want to see him do it longer before you committed big money to him. A few goalies are able to put up great results every year. Those guys have gotten paid. I mean imagine if Florida or Philly went full big long term 8 year deals at big money for Carter Hart and Spencer Knight?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Because the vast majority of goalies can swing from elite results to below average results in a given year. Even the good ones. Imagine if forwards like Pasta went from 60 to 15 goals year to year. You would want to see him do it longer before you committed big money to him. A few goalies are able to put up great results every year. Those guys have gotten paid. I mean imagine if Florida or Philly went full big long term 8 year deals at big money for Carter Hart and Spencer Knight?

If Hart hadn't had legal issues, they 100% would have looked go pay him on a 8yr deal.

Fingertools

May 29, 2019
Elite to below average non goalie long term contract results? You mean like Johnathan Huberdeau, Johnny Gaudreau (RIP), Jeff Skinner, Josh Anderson, Pierre-Lus Dubois, Brendan Gallagher ... I could go on and on. ALL players are a risk signing long term, not just goalies. And my examples are only last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad